Hide
2 Posts

Blitz! A World in Conflict» Forums » Rules

Subject: Q uestions about combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray Tillett
msg tools
1. In computing an attacker's or defender's factors for a combat, are the triangles applied before or after you take into effect terrain and weather? I think after.

2. In computing which side has the larger armour size (for figuring out whether an attacker can advance into an area), the size is computed by both sides before or after taking into account any step losses from combat. I think before.

3.Imagine a land combat where two armour units and one infantry unit are attacking a single land unit with a one-step value. The attacker has the greater size in armour units when taking into effect terrain etc.

A. If the attacker rolls a "B" or an "L", the defender must retreat. If the attacker rolls an "S", the defender does not retreat.

B. If the attacker rolls a "B" or an "L" and the defender rolls an "L" and the defender decides that the attacker's two armoured units cannot advance, the defender must still retreat and the attacker's infantry unit would occupy the area.

C. If both of the resulting dice rolls contain a "B", I understand that the attacking units must stay where they are and the defender must retreat. Even though the attacked area is now vacant the defender retains control. If the defender was not able to retreat, the defending unit would take a step loss and be eliminated, but the attacker would not be allowed to advance into the area and the defender would still keep control of the area.

Thank you very much for clearing this up for me. I am enjoying the game...which I think does a great job on so many levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the questions!

rtillett123 wrote:
1. In computing an attacker's or defender's factors for a combat, are the triangles applied before or after you take into effect terrain and weather? I think after.

The defensive Factors (red & white triangles) are the last thing you take into account (Land Round: if defending land units can't trace a Supply Line that +2 mod occurs last, too.) So modify Factors for terrain and weather before that. Then add in the triangles.

rtillett123 wrote:
2. In computing which side has the larger armour size (for figuring out whether an attacker can advance into an area), the size is computed by both sides before or after taking into account any step losses from combat. I think before.

Before is correct.

rtillett123 wrote:
3.Imagine a land combat where two armour units and one infantry unit are attacking a single land unit with a one-step value. The attacker has the greater size in armour units when taking into effect terrain etc.

A. If the attacker rolls a "B" or an "L", the defender must retreat. If the attacker rolls an "S", the defender does not retreat.

Correct. (We're assuming that the defending land unit was not destroyed too.)

rtillett123 wrote:
B. If the attacker rolls a "B" or an "L" and the defender rolls an "L" and the defender decides that the attacker's two armoured units cannot advance, the defender must still retreat and the attacker's infantry unit would occupy the area.

Correct.

rtillett123 wrote:
C. If both of the resulting dice rolls contain a "B", I understand that the attacking units must stay where they are and the defender must retreat. Even though the attacked area is now vacant the defender retains control. If the defender was not able to retreat, the defending unit would take a step loss and be eliminated, but the attacker would not be allowed to advance into the area and the defender would still keep control of the area.

Correct again!

rtillett123 wrote:
Thank you very much for clearing this up for me. I am enjoying the game...which I think does a great job on so many levels.

It looks like you have a good handle on the interactions of ground combat. Thank you for the kind words. Good luck and have fun! Cheers, Dave L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.