$30.00
Rommel Metrillo
msg tools
mbmbmb
This question is more about "homebrewed"/"modified" content.

My question is, is there a term or a way for "damage that cannot be reduced" to actually be reduced, my concern is the weapon "Vicious Battle Axe +1", which is a great Barbarian weapon, but all things considered the 1 discard after usage is a big downside considering Greatclub +3 and other weapons are available.

I'm thinking of a way to make it useful to a homebrewed Barbarian character, making it an ability so this weapon becomes her de-facto weapon.

I tried writing ability as:
"When a boon deals damage to you, ignore the first point of damage"

Considering ignore is an unofficial term, would this, as player visiting to play with us fly for you? Does it seem to cheaty for a character to have such a power? Since this automatically makes others boons that deal damage (at this point, I only remember the Charmed Red Dragon and the other vicious weapons) lose it's disadvantage in which was originally envisioned for it?

I plan to errata "Vicious Trident" as well to remove the initial discard part for weapon proficient characters and add "If you do not have weapon proficiency, discard a card when you use this weapon."

All-in-All I feel as a theme, that a Barbarian character can and is able to wield the Vicious weapons effectively, with minimal downside (and if there is a discard downside, the player would just ignore this weapon and use other weapons instead.) and my objective is to make the Vicious weapons useful for Barbarians.

TLDR: Vicious (battle-axe and trident) weapon good, but discard bad. How not discard so Barbarian can kill baddies with it?

TIA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
Omega Centauri
badge
Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
How about giving the homebrew barbarian the ability

"instead of discarding a vicious weapon you may put it on top of your deck"

That way you only get one use out of it a turn (unless you have a way to draw a card) but can guarantee having it each turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, "ignore" is a game term. I'm not sure it comes up in Runelords, but it does in other sets. (The phrase that comes to mind is "ignore immunity" -- for instance, some powers let you ignore an Undead monster's immunity to poison.)

It's even in the Golden Rule in the rulebook (starting with Wrath): "if a card tells you to ignore something, the thing you’re ignoring never has any effect". (But note the FAQ: only the character told to ignore it gets this benefit).

So, it is an effective way to "reduce" irreducible damage.

(And note: the official rulebook to use with any set is the rulebook from the latest set, plus anything particular to the rulebook from the set you are using [e.g. ships in S&S]).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also do something like...

"When a weapon deals you damage, recharge the cards you would discard as damage."

"When a weapon deals you damage, reveal the cards you would discard as damage instead of discarding them."

Those kinds of powers would still have you taking the damage, but just change what you did with the cards you took the damage with.

I'd be careful about making the power apply to all boons. There are boons other than weapons that deal you damage which you may not want to negate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.