Marco MacDaddy
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So for those of us like me who own the Z-Man edition, and are hoping for a volume 2 of Voyage of the Beagle, or another expansion in general, are we now forever out of luck due to the new edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a fellow owner of the Z-Man edition, I would say probably yes unless you want to sleeve cards to mask hypothetical differences between card sizes or thicknesses. Of course, expansions that are merely new scenarios (e.g. Livingstone) will work just fine between versions.

However, I don't know of any upcoming expansions and I would think that future energy will be channeled into the upcoming First Martians product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignacy was talking about Cthulhu focused expansion at some point, but I think that is in pause at least until First Martians is done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco MacDaddy
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I haven't heard about First Martians. Can you guys elaborate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Guibord
Canada
Vaudreuil-dorion
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dratsabius wrote:
I haven't heard about First Martians. Can you guys elaborate?

First Martian is the next game by Ignacy and it uses the same (or very similar) system that was introduce in Robinson Crusoe. Most people re saying it's Robinson on Mars. Of course, there will be differences but the core system is the same for both games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander Idziak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know, when talking about compatibility, differences between editions are minimal and there is nothing stopping any possible future expansions from being fine with older editions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alek2 wrote:
As far as I know, when talking about compatibility, differences between editions are minimal and there is nothing stopping any possible future expansions from being fine with older editions.

Actually..

If you sleeve, it is fine, BUT ZMan edition card size on larger cards is different from Portal Games 2nd Edition. I could not use the same sleeves. The difference must be 1mm or 2mm only. If you sleeve you will not notice a difference, but if you don't sleeve, then you will notice a difference when shuffling. I ended up re-sleeving cards so the cards would be the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco MacDaddy
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had heard that there were card size differences between the Portal and Z-Man editions even on the original editions, sure. I think what I'm really asking is, if I own the original Z-Man edition, and have no intention of buying the new edition, am I forever locked out of any future possible expansions?

Cool news about First Martian. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
You will need to have (or buy) a smart phone to play Martian, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander Idziak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not 100% sure about it but I think that you don't need smartphone for it. PC can easily replace it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaakko Tusa
Finland
Hämeenlinna
flag msg tools
badge
I find your lack of faith disturbing
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here, I own Z-Man version & Beagle (and almost all promos). I was truly hoping to get more of those "book" expansions for the game I love. Don't really know that should I buy this new version.. it has card board character sheets and so on, but I quess all the extras & promos are not "compatible" with those. So confused right now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.