Subject: DM Vs MA rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Marquez
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So... Picture this game:
You have a bunch of explorers, each with its own stats, special habilities and deep background stories. You take some of them and put them on the board. This group must explore every room looking for weapons and armors that will help them fight cthulhian monsters that will spawn across the board in a scenario driven quest. They have a limited number of rounds to complete the mision and each round the danger will increase: More monsters will spawn and they will crawl towards the explorers guided by the game's AI trying to rip their flesh and minds... But you can try to stop them by closing doors in their way. If things go well, you can draw a card that will help you somehow. If things go south... well, you draw other kind of cards. It has a great immersion due to the well writen stories that came with each piece of the game.

Sounds familiar?
Maybe you'll be surprised if I told you I'm not talking about Deep Madness. I'm talking about Machina Arcana. This project had a successful KS campaign exactly 3 years ago.

It has some differences too, like: The game is set in an ancient subterranean complex in the deep bowels of a mountain in Antarctica in a steampunk environment. The monsters and resource cards have three different levels and will be added to the game as the threat level increases. You can upgrade and augment your armor and weapons. There are no premade maps: You select randomly between a dozen map tiles and you can explore as much tiles as you want (or can). You can interact with your environment (eg: using traps and explosive barrels you can find in the map or pushing/pulling monsters into pits).

MA is one of my favourite games and the similarities between DM and MA is what decided me to back DM, so while I'm waiting for DM, I'll kill some monster in MA... And BTW: Juraj Bilic (creator of MA) is talking about creating another KS campaign for MA 2.0... I thin i'll back it too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bennett
United Kingdom
Par
Cornwall
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How good does that look!
I'll be checking out the KS campaign for that as well. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds cool... consider me intrigued!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have MA and haven't found the occasion to play it yet.
And I'm backing DM.

I hope they will not be that similar though because, unlike you, I like my games to be as different as possible.
I don't care about the similarities in theme but I need them to be completely different when it comes to the narrative and experience.

One thing that I don't like in MA though are the tiles. Too abstract.
The ones from DM are way more evocative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.