Subject: Hunting and survival cards: what happens when decks exhaust? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrea Fabris
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
I played only one game of not Alone but I'm wondering what happens when Hunting or Survival decks exhaust.
Rules state nothing about this scenario: the obvious choice is to reshuffle the discarded cards and allow Hunter or Hunted to draw new cards.

Anyway I felt Hunter playing too easily hunting cards if no constraint is applied in exhausting (at least) hunter deck: Hunter has an big advantage (especially in 1vs1) because he can play hunting cards since the very beginning and being able to reshuffle his deck means these cards are easy to play and basically Hunter plays them every turn.

What do you think about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio Briosi
Italy
Rovereto
Rovereto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a rule (maybe in the FAQ on the location that give survival cards) that the Survival cards, if exhausted you reshuffle and deal again.

About the Hunting cards, first I am not sure they can exhaust (since the game is on a timer by the moving of the rescue every turn, except for 1 card). Even if they exhaust, I feel the gameplay is balanced around the creature playing 1 card each turn, it's the basic of the creature play, not something "extra".

This is my feeling at least, survivors gets place powers (if not caught), creature get his cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Espreman Etienne
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Sorlin wrote:
There is a rule (maybe in the FAQ on the location that give survival cards) that the Survival cards, if exhausted you reshuffle and deal again.

About the Hunting cards, first I am not sure they can exhaust (since the game is on a timer by the moving of the rescue every turn, except for 1 card). Even if they exhaust, I feel the gameplay is balanced around the creature playing 1 card each turn, it's the basic of the creature play, not something "extra".

This is my feeling at least, survivors gets place powers (if not caught), creature get his cards.

Right !
Survival cards : reshuffle them if necessary.
Hinting cards : never exhaust.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed Survival cards are reshuffled is the deck exhausts.

Regarding the Hunt cards, it never happens because the Creature may play only 1 Hunt card per turn. If for any unexpected raison it happens, reshuffle the deck and please let me know how it happened

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Adler
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hunting card exhaust could happen, but only theoretically.

21 Hunting cards including promo, 7 player game, rescue counter only moves by the 'Phase 4'-End of round rule (this won't happen). There are 17 steps (here equalling rounds) on the rescue-path from start to just one step before win. Therefore, at the end of round 17 as much hunting cards are easily gone. In addition, the hunting card 'Tracking' allows to play an addional card and its effect could be copied by 'Deja Vu'. Now counting 19 cards gone and the Creature needs to redraw up to 3 cards in hand but only 2 are available. Remark: There is a hunting card, which stops moving the rescue counter in phase 4, which could last the game one more round longer. But if drawn as the last card in the hunting stack, this is not applied.

Anyway, just two theoretical cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
eaglewing wrote:

21 Hunting cards including promo, 7 player game, rescue counter only moves by the 'Phase 4'-End of round rule (this won't happen). There are 17 steps (here equalling rounds) on the rescue-path from start to just one step before win. Therefore, at the end of round 17 as much hunting cards are easily gone. In addition, the hunting card 'Tracking' allows to play an addional card and its effect could be copied by 'Deja Vu'. Now counting 19 cards gone and the Creature needs to redraw up to 3 cards in hand but only 2 are available. Remark: There is a hunting card, which stops moving the rescue counter in phase 4, which could last the game one more round longer. But if drawn as the last card in the hunting stack, this is not applied.

It never happened up-to-now. With a 7 player-game, the Beach and the Wreck will be more often used so it balances the number of cards. But I agree, never says never.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Espreman Etienne
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
eaglewing wrote:

That's right !
It would be more exact to say that the Creture's hand is nerver empty. The deck could be (theoretically) empty but we designed the game so that the Creature can always play one card. That's the reason why the Survival card "Strike Back" puts the 2 Hunting cards at the botoom of the deck and not in the discard pile. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.