13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Custom Dominoes - HELP rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carrot Ironfoundersson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I am looking at creating a playing card based set of dominoes.

These are not CARDominoes(TM), these would be able to be used as a standard set of Double "n", as well as to play some card games with.

I have so far restricted myself to a set of Double 10's which allows for 12 of each pip value (10|10 - 10|0 = 11 tiles with 12 '10's) and 3 of each suit within those 12 pip values.

Each tile obviously has 2 values as per a normal set of dominoes, but I have made sure that each tile has 2 different suits, and that each tile only has 1 black and 1 red. So there are no tiles with double of the same suit or even colour.

That's 66 tiles from 10|10 - 0|0, That means 132 faces, of which 12 faces are blank (0). Of the 120 marked faces, there will be 30 of each suit and 12 of each pip value (if that makes sense)

If I add the face cards, I would have to add an additional value (for this I would choose the Knight (or Cavalier)) so that the suit distribution remains even (A reason I'm not doing a set of Double 9's). But that would make for a set of Double 14's with 120 tiles!!!

The problem that I'm finding is that, on the face of it, all the companies I find online offering custom dominoes are only customising/personalising the backs.

Is there a company out there that would make the dominoes I want?

Would I be better of looking at 3D printing from scratch?

Or should I obtain blanks and find somewhere that would etch/engrave (laser) or just plain print (not ideal) them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a company out there that would make the dominoes I want?
it would probibly take a massive order

Would I be better of looking at 3D printing from scratch?
this would be very expensive for making something that gains nothing from the 3d printing process

Or should I obtain blanks and find somewhere that would etch/engrave (laser) or just plain print (not ideal) them?
I think this is you best bet. Along the same lines you should shop around for milling shops. What they might be able to do is take some normal dominoes and reface them, they'll come out thinner but this might be your cheapest high quality option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrot Ironfoundersson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrot Ironfoundersson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Regarding "massive orders", should I decide this has got legs and go down the crowding route, are there any companies I should be taking to?

To get an idea of costs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Qwerty
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.shapeways.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like something that could be done with a laser cutter/engraver all in one job (except for red colouring). It would come out a lot cleaner than a 3D printer and probably quite a bit cheaper. I'm not sure how thick you could make them in a single piece though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrot Ironfoundersson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
bill437 wrote:

Thanks, I've actually got a 3D Print shop on my local high street. I was hoping for a proper manufacturer of possible.

cornixt wrote:
Sounds like something that could be done with a laser cutter/engraver all in one job (except for red colouring). It would come out a lot cleaner than a 3D printer and probably quite a bit cheaper. I'm not sure how thick you could make them in a single piece though.

Certainly something to look at. Can always colour them in later, or even use sandwiching to expose a layer below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't get black and red from a laser engraver, but you could get two colors by doing one where the background is engraved and the pips are not, and the other color where the pips are engraved and the background is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrot Ironfoundersson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
jbrecken wrote:
You can't get black and red from a laser engraver, but you could get two colors by doing one where the background is engraved and the pips are not, and the other color where the pips are engraved and the background is not.

This is true, although I was considering engraving then colouring - or possibly engraving to reveal a coloured layer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orren Mckay
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been recently talking to a manufacturer in China (about dice) but they also make custom dominoes and I asked them some questions about production and got a few samples when I got samples of the dice.

I think the most cost-effective way is probably the printed dominoes but if you had a large enough quantity, it might be affordable for custom molded ones. I didn't ask specifics about the prices for domino molds, but if they are like molds for the dice, expect the prices to be non-trivial.

I'll send you a pm with the email of the manufacturer's rep I talked to in China. I can't recommend the place because I've never dealt with them except to get samples, but they may be a place to start in figuring out if your plan is cost effective to produce and sell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrot Ironfoundersson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ricodredd wrote:
I've been recently talking to a manufacturer in China (about dice) but they also make custom dominoes and I asked them some questions about production and got a few samples when I got samples of the dice.

I think the most cost-effective way is probably the printed dominoes but if you had a large enough quantity, it might be affordable for custom molded ones. I didn't ask specifics about the prices for domino molds, but if they are like molds for the dice, expect the prices to be non-trivial.

I'll send you a pm with the email of the manufacturer's rep I talked to in China. I can't recommend the place because I've never dealt with them except to get samples, but they may be a place to start in figuring out if your plan is cost effective to produce and sell.

Thank you... I will reply.

In other news I contacted customdominoes.com, they have turned round and said:

Erica Gray @ Custom Dominoes .com wrote:
I don't think we will be able to help you. Very sorry keep us in mind for anything else.

I have also put out feelers to a couple of "rapid prototyping" companies that have different processes. I have been less specific with them, so we will wait and see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Haines
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is there a reason why you can't just use domino-shaped cards?

These are probably much cheaper, and straightforward to order from e.g. makeplayingcards.com

If you really really need dominos for the tactile aspect, you could just prototype by sanding off a few sets of normal dominos and drilling pips yourself.

I personally wouldn't bother 3D printing for it, but you might be able to find a maker place which will laser-cut acrylic or perspex, and use paint for colour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrot Ironfoundersson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
DrLoris wrote:
Is there a reason why you can't just use domino-shaped cards?

These are probably much cheaper, and straightforward to order from e.g. makeplayingcards.com

If you really really need dominos for the tactile aspect, you could just prototype by sanding off a few sets of normal dominos and drilling pips yourself.

I personally wouldn't bother 3D printing for it, but you might be able to find a maker place which will laser-cut acrylic or perspex, and use paint for colour.

It's looking more and more like laser might be the way to go.

I have considered playing cards, and yes, they would be considerably cheaper and easier to produce.

Drilling my own isn't an option as I am planning to use the suit shakes as pips.

I might be able to get them cut and etched or of a single sheet of acrylic or similar,

Or sandwich sheets together to expose the colour when etching to avoid painting / dying.

It's all good for thought, as my original idea had expanded a littlee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.