Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sang-Beom Han
South Korea
Seongnam-si
Gyeonggi-do
flag msg tools
I can not understand "Portugal Light Infantry's Fire dice(move)."

If a Portugal Light Infantry's block left 2, my think, this unit's number of "Fire (move) battle dice" is 2. [ (2/2 + 1) = 2 ] But, every reference table's number is 1. Why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 should be correct; it's 1/2 the number of blocks rounded down for mobile fire + 1 for being light infantry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 1: get rid of the Reference Table

Step 2: do the math in your head. Much quicker.

Not just my view, that of Borg himself.
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd44b1c/2920

and you are correct, the Reference chart is wrong. Another reason to get rid of them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Brennan
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Portugal Light Infantry's Fire dice (move)
For those who do use the Reference Cards, I just posted a corrected version of my Spanish Quick Reference Card. You'll find it listed under the Files section of the Spanish Expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to suggest that you use the correct reference charts that are available here for download.

They are excellent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
Step 1: get rid of the Reference Table

Step 2: do the math in your head. Much quicker.

Not just my view, that of Borg himself.
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd44b1c/2920

and you are correct, the Reference chart is wrong. Another reason to get rid of them

EXACTLY! I agree with Richard Borg & Mark on that point!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for those of us who actually play OTHER games outside of the CC series, we greatly appreciate the reference charts...

yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
for those of us who actually play OTHER games outside of the CC series, we greatly appreciate the reference charts...

I personally play a lot of games outside the C&C series, ASL, Flying Colors and Siege of Jerusalem being 2 recent wargames, and Descent is currently on the table. CCN is different to the other C&C games anyway.

I think the point is you should look up the formula rather than the number, because it gives you a better guide to what the troops do.

So knowing Light get +1 in ranged fire, and French Line get +1 in Melee, British Line +1 Stand Fire etc. actually guides your tactical choices.

Each game I usually have to look up something, like rounding up or down, Grenadier range fire modifier varies etc. But I only look once.. not every battle.

Just playing Command cards I probably make 3-6 calculations of battle dice to compare options. Looking up a chart each time for that would be maddening for all concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, my previous response sounded snarky and that wasn't my real intent. Glad you play other games, I do too!

I have no issue looking up the chart when needed. I have most of the more common guys in my head--the ones you list are all easy.

It is minor things like what nationality rounds down instead of up, how many hexes does one of the more obscure army's militia retreat, etc, that I refer to the charts for.

To each his own. It is a matter of opinion, not a fact.

I've had plenty on this discussion. Charts or no charts?

I blame it on the Frenchman anyway. Thanks GG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies and… Read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
2 should be correct; it's 1/2 the number of blocks rounded down for mobile fire + 1 for being light infantry.

Clarifying: Moving Fire dice is 1/2 the number of blocks in the firing unit. The rounding down of any fraction is for the Portuguese national characteristic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:

To each his own. It is a matter of opinion, not a fact.

Absolutely, but if Borg's opinion is that the QRC actually stopped people learning the game, I understand why he stopped publishing charts.

Like ASL, I can remember the IFT up to about the 16 column, but the IIFT is just tedious..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny how one letter makes a difference.

I would not apply your logic at all to a guy named BERG. LOL

I don't agree with Borg's opinion or rationale in this case. That is my opinion.

Now if errant cards are causing more confusion than they are helping because they have errors, that is a different thing.

I have run Epic demos for CCA and CCN going on 9 years now with tables full of completely new players or players who have not played this particular series of games. So perhaps you and I are approaching this from a different standpoint. I have to get people through a game and help them have fun, not 'learn the game' forever by memory.

I would never put them in that position without a handy, accurate chart nearby.

BGG Con is next week and CCN Grand Battle is on the table, with eight signed up. And my charts will be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.