Subject: Help me find a book to give my dad for Christmas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: hivemind [+] [View All]
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My dad likes to read but I don't know what to get him so I'm turning to crowd sourcing.

He likes:
- Tolkien's LOTR and Hobbit, none of the rest
- PG Wodehouse
- Ben K. Green
- some Louis Lamour
- some James Michener

He didn't like:
- Harry Potter
- Dava Sobel
- CS Lewis

Any recs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
May I suggest Haruki Murakami. Pick one that is a collection of short stories, such as The Elephant Disappears or Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman. Easy read with a twist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Does he read nonfiction? Michener + Lamour makes me think he'd like this biography of Kit Carson and the bitter defense the Navajo put up back then:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
do you know why he likes what he does? I tend to like books more on their plot where my dad is more critical of the actual writing style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He does read nonfiction. He likes James Herriot and any books about pioneers, ancient cultures, etc. The Kit Carson book might be a good one.

I would say he is more into the writing style. He likes evocative prose but the plot can have holes in it as far as he is concerned. That is why he didn't like Harry Potter, he thought that the writing was way too verbose and ripped off other literature too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
For nonfiction, this is particularly interesting and inspiring in its own way:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another nonfiction that has a TON of history and the West
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Phennah
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
Another nonfiction that has a TON of history and the West

*Spoiler* They died of dysentery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Krause
Germany
Hamm
Northrhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would strongly recommend this one:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Waller
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Because of PG Wodehouse - totally different thing though

Alternatively as he is your father:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a manly man. Hemingway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
If he wants something highly entertaining, slightly blasphemous, and perfect for the holidays:

Or if he wants something deeply compelling and manly:

Seriously, I read Lonesome Dove a few months ago and it's easily one of the best books I've read.

You might also try the Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. It takes a bit to get used to the nautical language, but there are some damn fine stories in there too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I will throw out a suggestion for 'Once An Eagle' by Anton Myrer. Published in 1968 and a New York Times #1 bestseller. In my military career it was considered essential reading concerning military leadership, even though it is a work of fiction. If he has not read it he might enjoy it. Here is some more information from the internet;

Quote:
Once an Eagle is a 1968 war novel by American author Anton Myrer. A #1 New York Times Bestseller, Once an Eagle has been a favorite of American military men and women since its writing. The novel tells the story of Sam Damon, career Army officer, from his initial enlistment to his rise to general officer rank. Myrer wrote his novel to warn against ambition without principle and the military-industrial complex. Sam Damon and Courtney Massengale are the vehicles for this warning. Damon is an honorable soldier who rises in rank by success in field command. He is a soldier of character with his men's welfare in mind. Massengale has no honor and rises in rank through staff positions by cunning and political connections. He is driven by lust for power and cares nothing for the welfare of soldiers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
I second the Aubrey-Maturin series. Great stuff, and outside my usual genre. Similarly, the Nero Wolfe series--marvelous mysteries. Prisoner's base was a particular favorite, and they needn't be read in order. For nonfiction, I found Stephen Budiansky's book on the naval war of 1812 surprisingly compelling (but that was after reading the Aubrey-Maturin novels, which are roughly contemporaneous and perhaps increased my interest).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.