Subject: Wargame-induced insomnia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone with a bit of expertise in neurophysiology who can explain what the hell causes this? Is it some sort of serotonin overload from playing wargames that keeps this stuff swirling in my mind three hours after a gaming session, or is it psychological and non-biochemical (assuming there's actually some distinction to be drawn between the two)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
I aten't dead yet...
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my good wife conquering a Shopping Mall.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
I do believe that there is a scientific study on this called CASE BLUE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mcszarka wrote:
Anyone with a bit of expertise in neurophysiology who can explain what the hell causes this? Is it some sort of serotonin overload from playing wargames that keeps this stuff swirling in my mind three hours after a gaming session, or is it psychological and non-biochemical (assuming there's actually some distinction to be drawn between the two)?

It's not limited to wargames - after a eurogame gamenight my wife needs a "cooling down" period before she can go to sleep. From talking with other gamers it's not an uncommon thing. I don't have the problem, crying myself to sleep after another loss comes easy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcszarka wrote:

It's like the home-invasion scene from a Clockwork Orange. Those fuckers were spent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Witmer
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I don't have trouble sleeping, but I will sometimes have dreams about the games I'm involved in, that's how I usually know I've got a good one.

The first notable case of this that I remember was Up Front and now I'm having dreams about Federation and Empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a sleep expert, the metabolism of which is pretty complex, but I would say that a number of factors can influence your sleep pattern.

As it is, my best bet would be that wargaming is a tense activity that activates the sympathetic nervous system, that may remain 'stuck' on high activity while you are trying to sleep instead.

Other hypothesis is that by playing late, a critical period that depends on your natural rhythms to go to sleep is passed, therefore making sleep hard to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Motherwell
I aten't dead yet...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Witmer wrote:
I don't have trouble sleeping, but I will sometimes have dreams about the games I'm involved in, that's how I usually know I've got a good one.

The first notable case of this that I remember was Up Front and now I'm having dreams about Federation and Empire.

Funny you mention that. I am playing Naval War of 1812 and having wet dreams... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eddy_sterckx wrote:

It's not limited to wargames - after a eurogame gamenight my wife needs a "cooling down" period before she can go to sleep.

I have the opposite problem these Days, I am usally nodding off Before the end of the spreadsheet rules explanation is finished and I've even started converting Wood to clay to Money to water to Points, and back again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often need a wind-down period for my brain after a game session, otherwise I lie in bed with my wheels still spinning. I've found that taking an hour, often with a drink, settles things down nicely.

A Jameson on the rocks, to be specific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcszarka wrote:

The problem is that the hamsters in your head are still running at full speed on that exercise wheel. You need to slow them down and get them off of that wheel. Some people try well known relaxation techniques, such as yoga or meditation. Personally I prefer running at an object like the doorframe and striking my head on the top or edge of the aforementioned doorframe. This will dislodge the little burgers from the exercise wheel and usually causes me to go unconscious as well. Thus, the added benefit is instant sleep with a partial consequence of not remembering the game I played very well. Of course this is a positive if I didn't like the game I played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I definitely can't go straight to sleep after any gaming session.

At WIFCon I would lie staring at the ceiling for an hour while hexes and counters scrolled before my eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is common to a lot of things that we can get really into. Computer games (thinking of you Sid Meier's Civilization) or your favorite sports team winning a big game. The analogy of hamsters on a wheel is a good one. We keep replaying these things over and over when we love something. I think the thing that sets strategy games apart from everything else though is that we keep trying to solve the puzzle, or rethink what we have done or could have done differently.
At least it's a good reason for insomnia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Mickelsen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have really experienced this at the few boardgame conventions I have attended. Playing games all day and evening winds my brain up so much my sleep is seriously impaired. By the end of the conventions I am exhausted. I decided they are not my cup of tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
Not yet, but if it's anything like what happens to me when I'm programming all day and don't take a breather before bed, I don't look forward to it. Programming dreams are the worst.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurtis Swekla
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often dream about the game I played after playing some of the heavier euros and wargames
And I usually stay awake for an extra hour or 2 thinking about them and just generally procrastinating going to sleep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Fresh start Fresh bananas
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

Funnily enough I sometimes think about a wargames I have played to relax myself
before I go to sleep. But only a game I have won so most often I am left counting sheep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This happens to me all the time. Even reading rulebooks or history books near bedtime will make my mind race about the topic all night.

It would be excellent if my brain was performing some meaningful strategic planning, but sadly, that is not the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Wille
Belgium
9310 Meldert
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes and it even got worse now that I'm playing on vassal. After finishing my turn and sendig the file to my gaming partner (mostly just before I go to bed because playing when my kid is running around isn't ea&sy)... I often can't sleep that night as I'm already thinking of the next turn.

I do have a solution. Reading game rules Always makes me sleepy even in the middle of the day when I'm feeling pretty awake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Straight to sleep, even after those face-to-face CC edge of the seat wins. whistle

My wife has timed me head-to-pillow-to-sleep in under 30 seconds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Motherwell
I aten't dead yet...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gentlefolk,

For a rare moment I am going to be serious. I am an avid reader and started reading well before there were any distractions such as boardgames or the internet; right enough I am only 67, so I don't have senility as an excuse. I sometimes cannot get to sleep if I have been reading a particularly engrossing book, so I must say from that experience that ANY prolonged intellectual activity could induce insomnia or encourage dreams about it

Regards,

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happens to me with some TV shows.

I have been re-watching the entirety of Farscape again and keep having these weird Aeryn Sun dreams......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike, It happens to me after any game, euro or wargame that ends later in the evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
DocStryder wrote:
Mike, It happens to me after any game, euro or wargame that ends later in the evening.

I think a good strategy would be to unwind with a game of Candyland...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcszarka wrote:
DocStryder wrote:

I think a good strategy would be to unwind with a game of Candyland...

I don't know. I would vote for Ben's three fingers of Jameson solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
How about election-induced insomia ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.