Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Wizard Kings» Forums » Rules

Subject: Two v2.0 rules queries rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I've never seen a flying hogfish. I saw one gliding once, but never flying, not actually flying.
United Kingdom
Tyne & Wear
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I just picked up a copy of the new basic set. I've played the solo scenario 'Island of the Dead', and a couple of queries came up:

1) Wizards cannot fight in normal combat, other than to cast spells, is that right? With an A+ or B+, there is nothing to indicate what target number they would be aiming for. Also, I'm assuming they take damage in combat in the same way as any other unit, which seems sensible.

2) Gold generated by cities - does this continue to build up in a neutral (unoccupied) city? If I have a city and leave it (so it becomes neutral), does any gold left there remain, or is it destroyed? If an enemy then moves into the city, that would suggest they claim the gold?

The rules aren't quite specific enough to resolve these, so I'm assuming for now that wizards don't participate in 'nomal' combat other than to take damage and that cities only generate gold if there is a unit in it, but that it stays behind if you quit the city. I'm guessing I could be wrong on one or both of these, can anyone clarify?

I enjoyed the game, but I would have to play it with friends before splashing out for any more stuff. The expansions sound OK, but it would be a pain if you randomly got extra units that made one army more powerful than the others, it would be better if you could get individual army boxes as with the original. Wish someone in the UK stocked maps 1-12, though, I'd pick those up right away.

Just wondering, with the chaos units; you can place them on any block - so what do you get with the expansion set, a random colour? What if I get a chaos unit and stick it to the block provided, then want to swap it to another army, presumably I'm stuffed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flyinghogfish wrote:
1) Wizards cannot fight in normal combat, other than to cast spells, is that right? With an A+ or B+, there is nothing to indicate what target number they would be aiming for. Also, I'm assuming they take damage in combat in the same way as any other unit, which seems sensible.

Correct. Barring the use of magic weapons and the feudal shapechange spell, wizards can only cast spells, pass, or retreat in combat.

Quote:
2) Gold generated by cities - does this continue to build up in a neutral (unoccupied) city? If I have a city and leave it (so it becomes neutral), does any gold left there remain, or is it destroyed? If an enemy then moves into the city, that would suggest they claim the gold?

Most scenarios tell you who owns a city by default if it is unoccupied. That player continues to earn gold there and may build units. If a city is truly neutral, i.e. belonging to neither player unless occupied, the rules are a little vague. However, paragraph 3.2 claims that cities generate gold for the controlling player. So I'd say that a truly neutral city does not generate gold, although it would retain any gold left behind by previous occupants.

Quote:
I enjoyed the game, but I would have to play it with friends before splashing out for any more stuff. The expansions sound OK, but it would be a pain if you randomly got extra units that made one army more powerful than the others, it would be better if you could get individual army boxes as with the original. Wish someone in the UK stocked maps 1-12, though, I'd pick those up right away.

The collectible format didn't go over too well with the people used to 1st edition, either. Still, balance doesn't seem to be such a big problem, as the more powerful units are also more expensive to build. A good army needs both cheap and powerful troops to work.

Quote:
Just wondering, with the chaos units; you can place them on any block - so what do you get with the expansion set, a random colour? What if I get a chaos unit and stick it to the block provided, then want to swap it to another army, presumably I'm stuffed?

Each expansion contains 3 blocks per army and 3 strips with 7 stickers each. Two of these strips have one label per color, the last contains chaos mercenaries, treasures and artifacts that can be assigned freely. So while you need to choose who gets which special unit, each army gets the same number of blocks per expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've never seen a flying hogfish. I saw one gliding once, but never flying, not actually flying.
United Kingdom
Tyne & Wear
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for clearing those issues up, Niko, I'm off for another game now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls