The Edge: Dawnfall» Forums » General

Subject: Complexity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke S.
Canada
flag msg tools
mb

I fear that the game's complexity level may be prohibitive to my regular group, which is a bit more casual (Blood Rage is about as heavy as it gets).

The gameplay does look fun though, and with the conflict box ready to support a 4p game (with the darkness and extra faction) I would really like to justify the purchase. Not to mention the gorgeous minis.

Does anyone have any educated guesses about how difficult the actual game may be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kartzinel
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt - I'm coming from a Warhammer 40,000 and Warmachine/Hordes background, so I play some pretty complex games - this one I've actually been on the edge about because I'm not sure if it will be involved enough for me.

Have you watched the gameplay videos? There are a couple out there - I think it has potential to be that perfect blend of light wargame with miniatures - seems simple enough to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke S.
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Interesting looking at it from the other side...
I did watch the gameplay video (if you're talking about the one with the two Irish dudes) and it looked like it might be alright, but I wonder if increasing it to a 4-player match might also increase the complexity, what with alternating turn order and multiple activations and what have you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
I am not a cyborg!
mbmbmbmbmb
My educated guess is it will be very approachable, but will take a lot of plays to learn to become good at it. In other words, the best of games with few rules but deep game play that reveals itself the more you play.

But, "educated guess" so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Dunks
United States
Providence Forge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a ton of tabletop and board games, and I heartily agree with the guys above - this looks like something suitable for casual players with hopefully enough depth to pull the hard-core gamers in as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the reasons I like this game is that it seems like I could teach it to the people I game with who do not game if I am not around. Place your dude, we duke it out and for the first couple of games I can help them strategically to kick my butt. Then they are on their own. I will of course snag a cheat sheet from BGG if there is one, if not I make one. Its how I teach them all games. You should see the sticker job I did teaching Duel of Ages 2. Covering all the parts they didnt need for melee combat. Don't worry, the cards are sleeved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.