Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
besides hearing that Sam Healey from The Dice Tower loves this game I have seen this game on many lists (Gateway, Favorite, etc...) far more than other war games.

I am not what I would call a war gamer but having seen/heard of this game talked about in such a positive way I am thinking about trying it then maybe buying it.

Do you think Memoir '44 would be a good choice as a first time played/purchased war game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely!

It takes the feel and theme of a hex-based wargame and turns it into a quick playing I go, you go, game whilst retaining the history of the battle in a discreet way that'll teach you history without realising it.

It has a complexity not much above 'gateway' games, can be taught in a few minutes but still allows for strategy of troop movement/attack and an abstraction of supply lines in terms of its hand management.

I've played it with non-history-buff, non-wargaming friends and they've had a blast - I'm a big fan.

Edit: It also has massive replayability as there is a wealth of expansions and an army of history buffs creating scenarios for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without a doubt! I've always thought that Richard Borg's concept behind M'44 was to combine a war game along with euro-type mechanics to provide a gateway war game to the masses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's one of the more simple Commands & Colors games. The other simpler game in the series is Battle Cry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for it.

It may not be a light "standard hex-and-counter wargame" in the strictest sense of "preparing you for how the regular hex-and-counter wargames work", but it is a light "wargame" by any means.

AND is pleasing to the eye with all the miniatures and stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely a great "gateway" wargame. As Kent mentioned it's part of the Command & Colors system, and if WWII is your interest, M44 is it. It you like other eras, other C&C games include C&C Ancients and C&C Napolenics (both using stickered wooden blocks), and the already mentioned Battlecry for ACW which, like M44 has plastic minis. M44 has a large number of expansions for however far your interest in it may take you.
Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A perfect gateway game to wargaming. Its simple, has plenty of visuals and is not taxing on the brain. I have introduced plenty of people to war gaming with this title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Doerr
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
Origins 2017 Jun 14th - 18th
badge
Unplayed Countdown: 0 left to play!
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Yes, it's one of the more simple Commands & Colors games. The other simpler game in the series is Battle Cry.

Or if you want to get even simpler, there's Abaddon, although you're now fighting with giant robots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For sure! I would recommend as an early purchase the memoir 44 strategy and tactics guide. Similar to how reading a good book about wine can open one's perception to the nuances and complexities present in a good one, just so the strategy and tactics guide will help you appreciate rich and wonderful memoir 44 really is.

(I think that I am the unofficial BGG evangelist for this book. I tell a lot of people about it on threads, but I really think it is fantastic.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely not! Memoir 44 is the best LAST wargame one should buy. Come on, do you really want to start with a game whose rulebook everyone is able to digest, so much so that after a while you actually forget where the rulebook is? That's unfair! I would suggest to start with ASL instead. And after 10-15 years of memorizing, interpreting and discussing rules, I think one is ready for Memoir 44.

DISCLAIMER: Of course I'm joking! Kudos to all the 10-2 out there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Yang
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try it, you will enjoy it. You don't need to be a WW2 buff or wargamer to enjoy this one. I've played this with my non-gamer friends and they enjoyed it.

The plastic pieces are very dense and strong, not cheap brittle plastic. Artwork is excellent, as with all games from Days Of Wonder.

Don't be off-put by the HUGE selection of expansions and add-ons, the base game itself is all you need to have a fantastic time.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Dollens
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
man seeking ottoman
badge
dreams come true
mbmbmbmbmb
I was more a fan of abstract games and euros before I got Memoir '44 earlier in 2016. I'll echo what others have said about how simple it is to pick up.

This is especially important when considering that the easy rules allow for you to teach it to other people easily, even to people who aren't wargamers either. I play with my girlfriend and she loves it!

Be careful though. The game was a gateway drug for me to get into wargaming. I loved it so much I picked up Commands and Colors: Ancients, Sekigahara, Hammer of the Scotts, 1775: Rebellion, and Cuba Libre since. Each new game is so unique and add their own mechanics and complexities. They also enable you to learn so much about history. I'm hooked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if everyone would allow me; May I ask as to everyone's thoughts on the complexity levels of the different Commands & Colors Games?

I started out with Battle Cry and love it. Got into Memoir 44 and some of its expansions(also loved it).
Now I have been pondering which other C&C game to get into.
Just a quik note on myself, I am an avid war gamer, but wouldn't describe myself as a grognard. I have games ranging from A&A to Hex and counter games to strategic to tactical.

Currently I am looking at Ancients, Napoleonics, and the Great War. I have seen some new ones are coming right around the corner like medievil and american revolution. I dont think the battlelore
or samurai games would interest me on theme & or painting.

But wrapping up my long windedness here: how would one rate the complexity level of the different C&C games?

As an example:

1. Battle Cry
2. Memoir 44
3. The Great War
4. Ancients
5. Napoleonics
an so on. I did not rank the others in that I have no experience with them at all or they have not come out yet. Ancients and Napoleonics I do not have but have begun researching them and feel they are a step up from Memoir 44. The Great War seems on par and maybe just a hair more complex then Memoir(but is probably a tie).

Any thoughts out there?
Which one is the next step up from Memoir 44?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you have it about right. TGW and Ancients are probably a toss up, as TGW has fewer unit types, but more finicky rules and a second deck, while Ancients has mor unit types, but slightly simpler rules and deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You think that's air you're breathing?
badge
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant That We Should voyage far.
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold my copy of Memoir 44 and recently picked up Heroes of Normandie and am loving it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleonics is no more complex than Memoir '44. In fact, Memoir '44 is more complex in terms of the different units, badges, terrain and different modes of play (standard, overlord, breakthrough, campaign).

Further, Napoleonics is much more elegantly designed whereas Memoir '44 has this haphazard feel when you start adding the non-theater expansions, campaign books, and battle maps, all of which tack-on new, sometimes half-baked, rules/units etc.

Napoleonics requires different strategy, but learning that is no more difficult than learning basic Memoir '44 strategy.

I suspect Ancients would be about the same as Napoleonics, but have never played it.

I chose Napoleonics over Ancients because I was more interested in the Napolenics wars from a historical standpoint. The learning curve, already pretty minimal, seemed about the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pisqueeter wrote:
I chose Napoleonics over Ancients because I was more interested in the Napolenics wars from a historical standpoint. The learning curve, already pretty minimal, seemed about the same.

I think this is the main issue, most people know a decent amount about the Second World War and playing the D-Day landings is evocative and meaningful. Most people don't known much about the Napoleonic or Ancient era and fighting random battles from this period doesn't seem as interesting, you might as well be fighting fantasy battles.

Hence M'44 is not the best game in the series, but is still probably the best "First Wargame to own" for most people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Nieuwenhuis
Netherlands
Epe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally i find the M44 system much easier to learn and play than the Napoleonics.

I have played lots of Memoir and taught it to a lot of people.
After a few games you do not need the to check on the amount of dice to throw for instance.
I have now played a fair amount of Napoleonics, but still have to refer to the charts to get the right amount of dice.

(I like both games of course. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you that Napoleonics requires looking at the unit table for number of dice etc.

I just don't see that as a complicating factor. IMO its tedious, but not more difficult. I often have to consult various cards in Memoir '44 to remember special rules or effects of certain terrain (ergs, jungle, swamp etc.). I also have to lay out the various cards that apply before the scenario.

In Napoleonics I always need the same two tables, period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for chipping thoughts on complexity, it has helped.
Now I am just going to assume here that in terms of expansions that the other games would be like Memoir 44. I added the ones I was interested in and added the terrain pack because I thought that would add a significant value and effect to the base game. From there I added the pacific and eastern expansions because those interested me the most.
I think I will start with the base game(obviously) of which ever I decide on, Ancients or Napoleonics and go from there if their expansions peak my curiosity.

Thanks for all the input!

Erik

p.s. It would be interesting to take a historical run through approach to Commands and Colors, and got through all the historical games in order.
Ancients, Medievil, American Revolution, Napoleonics, Battle Cry, The Great War, Memoir 44. Maybe down the road, C&C can take on a modern era.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
redblackmonkey wrote:
Maybe down the road, C&C can take on a modern era.

There are some fan made post-WW2 scenarios.

It works fine in Korea, but given how obscure this conflict was even at the time, it is unlikely to ever be a stand-alone game - maybe a battle map one day?

Later wars become more complex, with increasing use of air power and relatively smaller conflicts. It might work for some of the tank battles of the First Gulf War, but these were very one-sided affairs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james newman
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only recently gotten the base game. I had fun painting all the miniatures, the plastics were too similarly colored to be easily discerned in low light. The game is super simple to teach to new players and my wife will even play it with me, so its a win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donut2099 wrote:
I've only recently gotten the base game. I had fun painting all the miniatures, the plastics were too similarly colored to be easily discerned in low light. The game is super simple to teach to new players and my wife will even play it with me, so its a win.

That is one of the brilliant aspects of M44, and C&C in general, that our wives or girlfriends, and other non-war gamers, will play it with us.

Good luck doing that with ASL...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
besides hearing that Sam Healey from The Dice Tower loves this game I have seen this game on many lists (Gateway, Favorite, etc...) far more than other war games.

I am not what I would call a war gamer but having seen/heard of this game talked about in such a positive way I am thinking about trying it then maybe buying it.

Do you think Memoir '44 would be a good choice as a first time played/purchased war game?

My wife bought this game for me for Valentine's Day yesterday!!!!!!!!

w00t!

I'm a happy guy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Woelkers
United States
Bristol
Virginia
flag msg tools
My wife and I play just about every week end, with her winning about 1/2 the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.