Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely post negative reviews, but the quality control for my recently purchased Puremco Mexican Train Dominoes was among the worst of any game that I have ever purchased.

After watching a recent review by the Game Boy Geek featuring these dominoes, I bought a set. Luckily I bought from Amazon, which allows for easy returns of defective products. The dominoes had stray ink spots on their faces, sides, and back. Many spots were small, but were enough to mark the dominoes during play. One spot was so large that my five-year-old-daughter noticed it the second we put the dominoes out on the table. Another domino actually had a piece of silvery metal sticking out of the side of it, which could have made for a painful surprise for someone if I had not spotted it. These defects seemed reflective of absurdly bad quality control.

I requested an exchange, and Amazon sent a replacement set out immediately. No metal was sticking out of these, but there were tons of stray ink spots again. Some of the stray ink spots on the dominoes could be cleaned by scrubbing with a paper towel and some isopropyl alcohol. Many stray ink spots could not be cleaned. During the short time that I had two sets in my possession, I searched through the two sets and cobbled together a mostly unmarked set, and the resulting set does not have metal sticking out of the side of any domino. I sent Amazon back a set containing the worst of the dominoes. I hope they get a full refund from the publisher.

The case the dominoes come in is designed to be small to make them easy to travel with. The case is a tad too small, and it makes it a little tough to get all the dominoes back in. If you manage to get a defect-free copy of these dominoes, I think this set will be a good value for the price. However, after seeing two defective copies of this game, I am not optimistic that quality control is good for this product.

I also had some minor trouble tracking down the current publisher. Puremco changed its name to Custom Dominoes, but sold the rights to the Puremco name and Mexican Train to Go to University Games. Custom Dominoes' caller ID even still says they are Puremco. Suffice it to say, I was thankful to have Amazon to return the product to.

Lee Valentine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.