Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Dennis
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a few 2 player games with my son last night - I went with the pilgrims each time - well I got slaughtered each time - we were just playing vanilla with the recommended one skill card, but it wasn't even close.

I'm just curious is there a pathway for the pilgrims to beat the humans in a 2 player game? I'd love to hear some advice or strategy ... Thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
revvbard wrote:
I played a few 2 player games with my son last night - I went with the pilgrims each time - well I slaughtered each time - we were just playing vanilla with the recommended one skill card, but it wasn't even close.

I'm just curious is there a pathway for the pilgrims to beat the humans in a 2 player game? I'd love to hear some advice or strategy ... Thx

In two player, you need to be aggressive. Always. This means the Pilgrims cannot sit back and farm, and the Machines cannot spend too much time setting up. Even when playing Machines versus Pilgrims, in two player, YOU MUST ATTACK.

The Humans spread quickly, but they are garbage defenders. Furthermore, their strategy doesn't rely on actually fighting, but on nickel and diming their way towards victory. This means they're spending a card to pay for Occupation, and they're spending another card/Action to pay for Enable Scoring.

Keep that in mind.

When playing the Humans head to head, you want to choose a single frontier, not both. Focus. Use one Unit to quickly move into a Human controlled Territory to either fight the Trogs, or fight the Humans. Use Power Orb, NOT Recruit, to quickly bolster your reinforcements on the frontier.

Be willing to lose guys to the Trogs in order to keep the Humans from maintaining control.

Use the Pilgrim Structure that adds 1 Crystal to the Region to punish the Humans for using enable scoring. For the life of me I cannot remember the name of that one. I blame working on it for years and getting the names mixed up. It's the one that isn't Power Orb or Extractor. Harvester maybe? It's the third one

By round 4 or 5, if you don't let up, your regions should have plenty of crystals and you'll push the humans back to their base. And, if they move on the other flank, fine, but the few points they earn in late game Enable Scoring on Regions that haven't been highly contested won't be worth a damn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saiful Remy
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Oh man, I get to help out the designer!

Yes... it is harvester... oh wait, that's just clarifying what you mentioned, not helping you out T_T Sadness

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Rivea
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Nope, it's the Extractor. That's the one that adds crystals to your regions. Harvester puts them in your pool.

Here's a Pilgrim tip: Use TELEPORT into vulnerable areas. Turn action 1 --move into the Explore are, turn action 2, build your harvester. Be sure to change inititive to Go 2nd and wait til turn action 3, recruit as many as you can and teleport them in to capture undefended regions or snipe out the most valuable region.

Lock him down into fights so he can't use his buildings. Make him WISH he had thought to pop a Watchtower or Artillery token. You've GOT to make him use up his cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wright
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
THIS is what I was looking for!!! Really appreciate you being in these forums, Grant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.