Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cookie Monster
Belgium
De Pinte
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm bringing this to game night of my regular gaming group tomorrow. I've read through the rules, they seem pretty clear, but I can imagine it will take a few turns for everyone to get the hang of things.
The rulebook suggests playing turn-by-turn for the first few games, before trying simultaneous play. But the latter seems far more interesting.
How did you play your first game(s) of Captain Sonar? Did you all try turn-by-turn first? I'm afraid that if that game lasts too long, we won't be able to get a real simultaneous game in...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would play turn by turn for about 10 minutes so that everyone can get the hang of it,and then switch to the real version (in the current game, or even just start over). It's nice if you have a 9th person who can act as kind of a GM initially too but not necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Llewellyn
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For new players we always play two turns each before moving over to simultaneous play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience the game is not that complicated and you should jump right in - that is what we did and we had loads of fun - even IF there are some goofs - so what - the game is pure fun and laughter, so I'd say go for it.

And compared to other real time team games like Space Cadets: Dice Duel Captain sonar is actually real easy and intuitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phillip wilson
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sverbeure wrote:
The rulebook suggests playing turn-by-turn for the first few games,

Just change it to a few turns instead. 3-4 Turns for each ship and then people kind of see how their roles work. Feel it out. Then just switch over to realtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Herman
United States
Sussex
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would add that if you're doing a few turn-by-turns before opening it up you should probably still use the real-time side of the player boards since you'll be playing a full round anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

What may be uncomplicated for some may be complex for others. We're all different.

So having said that, and considering that you'll likely play 10, 20, or even 30 or more games together during the next year, why not conduct your first game in turn by turn mode?

I mean, what have you got to lose? Nothing. And everything to gain. This way, you ensure all players become comfortable with the system without the "less comfortable" players having to be called out.

At the very least I agree with everyone above - to play at least three or four, or five turns in turn by turn mode, then jump in real time mode. After all and again, you WILL play the game MANY more times!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Herman
United States
Sussex
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

why not conduct your first game in turn by turn mode?

I mean, what have you got to lose? Nothing.

Lots of captains take a long time trying to coordinate and plan out their next several moves with the engineer and when you give them unlimited time (turn-by-turn) I think the game goes way too slow for people with fast turns (like the Radio Operator early game). If people don't want to play the game again because it moved too slow in turn by turn then you've lost future plays by using turn-by-turn instead of real time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashish Nair
msg tools
I've taught this game to my gaming group, family friend group, and total strangers, and never did turn-by-turn. I explained all of the roles, how they worked together (takes about 5-10 minutes), give them a choice as to who to pick, then just jump right into real-time. I never had any issues, as the aspect of teamwork brought everyone quickly up to speed (within a couple of moves), it clicks, and they really like it, and we play game after game as they want to work better as a team, try new roles, etc. Granted, the majority were gamers (at least to some extent), so that may have been part of the success of this approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cookie Monster
Belgium
De Pinte
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your suggestions! I was planning on going in turn-by-turn for the first few turns and then switching to real time. But my co players were all seasoned gamers, they had read the rules beforehand and were very eager to just DIVE! DIVE! DIVE! straight into real-time. So that's what we did, and it went smoothly. We immediately played 3 games in a row, and had a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Blick
United States
Independence Twp
Michigan
flag msg tools
A bit late to the party but my input...

Played with 6 total players. There were a few unseasoned gamers. They had a hard time with the rules because well...being unseasoned. Decided to play turn-by-turn for the first game. It started slow but after a bunch of turns the turns got faster. We then played 2 other games of simultaneous play and everyone had a blast.

Hope this helps with future question askers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd played three or four times as turn-by-turn before trying real-time. And some of those t-by-t games were LONG, with crews discussing EVERYTHING before making a move.

Played it real-time and one sub was sunk in under ten minutes. Much, much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.