Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
The article from last Monday's game night is in this Sunday's paper. I have a scan below.

The Web site is http://austindailyherald.com/ Although, I could not find the article there. When I went to the living section it looked like it hadn't been updated in a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Doran
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty cool. Lots of pictures on there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. But Monopoly and Life? Tsk tsk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    The advertisement at the bottom of the newspaper page looks suspicious -- any relation to the article?

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
The advertisement at the bottom of the newspaper page looks suspicious -- any relation to the article?

Sag.

LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff King
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ed95005 wrote:

That was my reaction too! Especially since I was there and don't remember us talking about those games other than to say there were other games besides those.

It reminds me of the time the local news channel came out to cover one of our gaming events and by the time it made in on the air, it made it look like we were mostly an RPG group instead of running an event that included all aspects of table top gaming.

Oh well, it is cool to get some exposure and we were happy to head over and give Michael some support; not to mention get in some gaming with a great guy. ;-}

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's quite a spectacular picture of Michael Chase...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ed95005 wrote:

Well I don't know where he came up with life. I do have copies of Monopoly though. It has been years since they have hit the table though.

I just hope that it can pull some other gamers out of the wood work around here.

I dunno about that advertisement. I welcome geriatric gamers though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thrasymachus wrote:

The one where he is looking at his mother ship? The scan doesn't do it justice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jormi_Boced wrote:
thrasymachus wrote:

The one where he is looking at his mother ship? The scan doesn't do it justice

Hehe...I mean, we've all done that...we just all haven't had our picture in the paper of us doing that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
From the article, and the photo captions, it appears that Starfarers of Catan is the only game available in Austin, Minnesota.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
From the article, and the photo captions, it appears that Starfarers of Catan is the only game available in Austin, Minnesota.

Yeah, the photographer didn't stick around to get any other gaming pictures in. I think we only played Citadels after this anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Sison
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's rockstar cool, I think! Nice work, Michael!

Dennis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Janousek
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think its impressive that you are able to get Starfarers in on a weeknights. How long do you sessions usually last?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
I only wish the game depicted wasn't Starfarers. It doesn't seem like the best game to get the non-gaming public interested in games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Nice! Thanks for the BGG plug too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Great article! Congrats ....

For some reason, all I can picture is the guy responsible for writing the photo captions sitting at home thinking, "Hey! Did I remember to mention which game they were playing?"

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ostrander
United States
Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw all these references to Rochester and was wondering why I had never heard of this game group... Then I realized it was Minnesota and not Rochester, New York. All I have to say is:

There can be only one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Starfarers of Catan this article Starfarers of Catan is Starfarers of Catan Starfarers of Catan pretty neat Starfarers of Catan. What Starfarers of Catan game Starfarers of Catan Starfarers of Catan Starfarers of Catan were you Starfarers of CatanStarfarers of Catan Starfarers of Catan Starfarers of Catan playing anyway Starfarers of Catan Starfarers of Catan Starfarers of Catan Starfarers of Catan Starfarers of Catan Starfarers of Catan Starfarers of Catan Starfarers of Catan Starfarers of Catan Starfarers of Catan Starfarers of Catan Starfarers of Catan Starfarers of Catan Starfarers of Catan Starfarers of Catan Starfarers of Catan Starfarers of Catan Starfarers of Catan Starfarers of Catan Starfarers of Catan Starfarers of Catan Starfarers of Catan Starfarers of Catan Starfarers of Catan?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff King
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jostrand wrote:
All I have to say is:

There can be only one!

I fully agree...And we're in Minnesota!!! ;-} heh heh

It is actually a fun group with a lot of activity. Michael has Monday night gaming, I have Wednesday night gaming, Sheldon (starscream on BGG) runs a monthly board game night (typically 2nd Friday of the month) at Chateau Theatres, one of our local movie theatres, and we plan quarterly gaming events (next one is June 16th - posted here) which attract 30+ on average. We also have several role-playing members that get together for gaming as well. We're even in the planning stages of holding a 2008 gaming convention and have secured a location for it.

My last Wednesday game night we had 16 people gathered around 3 tables playing a variety of games. It was very cool.

I wish Michael lived a little closer (and I would assume the same wish holds true in reverse for him as well) because he is a great guy and him and his wife are great hosts. I'd love to game with them every week. Unfortunately, I make it once of twice a month if I am lucky.

While I was not a big fan of the game we were playing in the pictures (anyone know the name of that game?!? ;-P) I still had a great time because of the company. And since it was my first time playing any type of Catan game, I would be willing to give it another shot. ;-}

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
The article has been posted online...

http://austindailyherald.com/articles/2007/05/21/living/news...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
oh man! They couldn't provide a LINK with the "www.boardgamegeek.com" within the onsite 'article'? Please! someone with 1337 "skillz" do that for these ignoramuses and instruct them on that as well!
surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, a bunch of people playing Starfarers who don't looked bored to tears.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mb
Nice job on getting some press for the gaming community. You can never truly control what is written but positive press is good press. Nicely done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason C
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
dcorban wrote:

Snap!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.