BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Those wacky Germans: man jailed for Nazi tattoo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Understand the whole "Never Again" thing. But it's free speech, right?

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/11/08/german-politician-se...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

You don't have the right to free speech in that regard in Germany.

Different countries have different constitutions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

Yeah, I remember the old computer game Steel Panthers had two different victory point hex flag settings, Swastikas or Iron Crosses, so it could be played/sold in Germany.

Even modern computer games like World Of Tanks has no Swastikas in it, just iron crosses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
remorseless1 wrote:

So whats your point?

As Mac points out, Germany has different laws on speech. For some very specific historical reasons.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
maxo-texas wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

Oh I quite understand. I lived there when I was young. Still, it's always an eye-opener, living in a country where you can be a Nazi, a Communist, a Maoist, an Anarchist, etc. I love Germany and the German people, but I'm glad I live where I live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Let's just hand the keys of ICANN to people who have no 1st Amendment or sense of free speech shall we?

Oh wait, you say we already did?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
mbmbmb
"[T]he German people will be burdened with a guilt the world will not forget in a hundred years. This guilt will fall not only on Hitler, Himmler, Göring, and their comrades but on you and me, your wife and mine, your children and mine, that woman crossing the street, and those children over there playing ball."

- Major General Henning von Tresckow, mastermind of the Hitler assassination plots

He was right, you know, and he said that relatively early in the war. Before Russia, before the death camps, before the brutality reached a truly monstrous and industrial scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SPIGuy wrote:
"[T]he German people will be burdened with a guilt the world will not forget in a hundred years. This guilt will fall not only on Hitler, Himmler, Göring, and their comrades but on you and me, your wife and mine, your children and mine, that woman crossing the street, and those children over there playing ball."

- Major General Henning von Tresckow, mastermind of the Hitler assassination plots

He was right, you know, and he said that relatively early in the war. Before Russia, before the death camps, before the brutality reached a truly monstrous and industrial scale.

I wish they'd get over it - they are forgiven. This self hating is leading to another disaster for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
Let's just hand the keys of ICANN to people who have no 1st Amendment or sense of free speech shall we?

Yeah, didn't those fuckers know that this is America, and we should own the internet, because freedom?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

Good for Germany. Curb stomp those fuckers (neo-nazis).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
SPIGuy wrote:

I wish they'd get over it - they are forgiven. This self hating is leading to another disaster for them.

To truly forgive the Germans for the actions of their forebears, you must allow that they are fit to judge themselves and decide for themselves how to keep it from ever happening again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
It's not really self-hate, it's self-awareness and vigilance for "never again". The sentiment that allowed the Holocaust to happen didn't magically disappear in 45, and though greatly diminished still exists to one extent or another in the some places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Rüscher
Germany
Paderborn
flag msg tools
badge
Brettspieler
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
I love Germany and the German people, but I'm glad I live where I live.

So do I cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
It always amuses me when Americans (especially in national security circles) would complain about the German (and Japanese) military being reluctant to help out in overseas commitments.

I'd remind them that many of us - very much including in Germany (and Japan) - consider that they're being insufficiently militaristic to be a very positive development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Hitler was 'Austrian', so, no wonder they're having 'qualms' about "foreigners infestation!" whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
gruescher wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

So do I cool

So where do you live in Germany? When my father was stationed near Heidelberg, we lived in a small town about 50km away called Schreisheim. I have promised myself that one day I would go back. Wonderful country, wonderful people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
So where do you live in Germany? When my father was stationed near Heidelberg, we lived in a small town about 50km away called Schreisheim. I have promised myself that one day I would go back. Wonderful country, wonderful people.
I was stationed at Sembach AB (coincidentally located next to the village of Sembach, bout a half hour from Kaiserslautern)) for four years. I also loved it and kicked around staying there for awhile after I got discharged, but the job market was very tight, especially for non-nationals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:

....No?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
gruescher wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

So do I cool

Hey, I used to go rock climbing in the quarry there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
oldsin wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
gruescher wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

So do I cool

Hey, I used to go rock climbing in the quarry there!

It was way cool being a little kid and looking up at the top of the hill and seeing that old castle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Yeah, I remember the old computer game Steel Panthers had two different victory point hex flag settings, Swastikas or Iron Crosses, so it could be played/sold in Germany.

Even modern computer games like World Of Tanks has no Swastikas in it, just iron crosses.

I am not in a mood to discuss this whole dilemma right now but the computer game business is mostly due to companies trying to preempt legal difficulties, not because of an actual obligation.
One thing I like to mention in this context is that you can broadcast Hogan's Heroes with swastikas and all in Germany and it's alright. Publicly glorifying Auschwitz (as the guy in the article did) isn't.

I have a ton of respect for the Anglo-American definition of free speech and I can see why some of you disagree with the legal situation here but this kind of thing is a real mess, no matter which way you deal with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.