Mystery of the Abbey» Forums » Rules

Subject: Asking other Players - in public? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
We don't stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
We are after the first play, having a blast:).
One question arose however: When you meet other monk you may ask him a question - are the other players allowed to hear the question and the answer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
~~~ ‽‽‽ ~~~
United Kingdom
Cowes
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
That's going to happen, I don't think.
badge
Will I shut the holy hell up?
mbmbmbmbmb
nightbomber wrote:
We are after the first play, having a blast.
One question arose however: When you meet other monk you may ask him a question - are the other players allowed to hear the question and the answer?

They MUST hear it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperor Penguin
United States
Mercer
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, everyone hears everything. You need to leverage secret information in your questions so others don't know what you are talking about. For example, after you have already had to pass a card to someone ask them about other monks in their hand of the same order. That way other players don't know what card was passed and therefore don't know what order he was.

Of course I say that but have never done that myself. I played it like you and everyone got the same info and so it was not that enjoyable for us. I was given the same advice I mentioned above but I have never got this back to the table to try it that way.

I have been considering making cards (I think someone has a design in the files section here) of the attributes so you could pass a card with your question to the individual so others don't know what attribute(s) you are asking about. But maybe that is breaking the spirit of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Careful. It has been ruled (by DOW) that you are not required to memorize how each card happened to get into your hand. So you your are asked a question like "Do you have any other monks of the type I gave you 4 turns a go?", you can answer "I don't remember that" and they've wasted a question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
We don't stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.
We were playing just like you wrote: loud and clear.
The verfy first game it was, with 2 couples and our daughters, all experienced boardgamers. My wife won (obviously).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mark_biggar wrote:
Careful. It has been ruled (by DOW) that you are not required to memorize how each card happened to get into your hand. So you your are asked a question like "Do you have any other monks of the type I gave you 4 turns a go?", you can answer "I don't remember that" and they've wasted a question.

That's correct. However, I suppose you cannot lie and claim not to remember when you actually DO remember. So, if you know that a player has a good memory, or has received a certain card just recently, you might choose to ask that player a question like the suggested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.