Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Wings of War: Miniatures» Forums » General

Subject: Hey! Be careful! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I broke out my Rickenbacker SPAD from its styrene holder yesterday and had the wheel assembly pop off as I did so. (Some glue fixed that, BTW.) blush

The trays are developed with tiny bulges that hold the wings in place so the model can't be simply tipped out or come loose in the display. There may be a better way, but for my remaining planes, I carefully depressed those bulges until the airplane slipped out on its own. Then I threw the styrene tray away. (It really wasn't in a condition to contain the plane after that.

YMMV, but I'm just sayin' be careful when you cast loose those beautiful models!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks-- I meant to post something about that a couple days ago.

Yeah, I squeezed from the bottom-- the plastic carrier is very thing and can be pushed out of shape easily and you can just about "pop" the plane out of it.

The obvious move would be to pull from the wings, and that's certain to mean our wing comes off. It's a very clever carrier and I'm impressed what a snug fit it provides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips.

Now anybody got any ideas what to do with these, storage/transport-wise, since the packaging isn't going to work very well again? I'm just thinking ahead; my box doesn't come till Tuesday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that the trays are gone, I have the planes and what-not loose in their respective boxes for the moment. I don't like that, so my first thought is to throw in some packing material (popcorn or shredded paper) so things aren't knocked around. Maybe even baggie the birds and make sure the seal traps some air.

...Or baggie the parts and put them in the main set and keep the bird with some packing corn in its original box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaadd Powell
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpat wrote:
Thanks for the tips.

Now anybody got any ideas what to do with these, storage/transport-wise, since the packaging isn't going to work very well again? I'm just thinking ahead; my box doesn't come till Tuesday.

I packed up mine in a bit of bubblewrap. It's not tight - that might squish it! Just a palm sized bit that I losely wrap around it, and snug it back into the box. This is the small grade stuff, with peasized bubbles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If you follow Kevin's suggestion:
Quote:
Yeah, I squeezed from the bottom-- the plastic carrier is very thing and can be pushed out of shape easily and you can just about "pop" the plane out of it.

and you push the tray from below, rather than pulling from above, the tray will remain perfectly functional for later use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's true-- you can pop it right back into shape and use it the same way.

But for transporting a number at once, I'm going to take a sheet of thick foam rubber and snip out places deep enough to stick the wheels and a shallow depression for te lower wings and fuselage. I have a hard box (handle on top) that I used to carry 1/300 minies for Blue Max/Canvas Eagles and got another one to carry all my WoW stuff, even tho cards and all don't need that much protection. WalMart has some opaque file cabinets with a handle on top that I can use for the same thing-- and the foam mat will go on top of the contents inside. It wouldn't be good enough to put in checked luggage at the airport but it should hold up well enough to tote it around from one game spot to another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Kreutzer
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I had been warned, and therefore I took great care in prying loose my planes from the tray. But has anybody else had some warping, too? My Baracca SPAD, while standing on the ground with the wheels, didn't have horizontal wing alignment; it was lopsided. So I thought I'd bend the wheel assembly just a little bit to align everything and promptly had it pop off on me. A little glue seems to fix the wreckage, but what I leaned is this: Don't try to bend the models, as they won't - they'll break.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fairley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Toronto - Ottawa - Seattle - Abu Dhabi
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultrapro makes some nice and small carry-cases:

http://www.ultrapro.com/page.php?pname=gaming/cases

Either the Mageknight or the Miniatures Carry Case Stock #W-81445 (if like me you don't what the big sticker)

I think one of these would easily hold one of each plane and all the cards/rules/decks/etc..

The thing I like about them is they don't scream "Gamer" like the Army Transports or other cases do.

j.,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I broke out my Rickenbacker SPAD from its styrene holder yesterday and had the wheel assembly pop off as I did so

Sort of brings new meaning to the phrase, "I broke out" doesn't it?

FwiW, I've opened 10 of these boxes, doing it carefully (as described) and the only casualty was the landing gear on Fonck's SPAD.

I wonder if there's something in the spad production...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got all mine out without mishap, but there were some that were just deeply stuck in the plastic, and I was worried about parts breaking off. Thankfully, that didn't happen. And, equally thankfully, I'm going to a different storage option rather than try to stuff the planes back in the boxes.

This is a bad shot (so it's just in my gallery). I'm planning on putting some cut foam down at the bottom of each square in the box. It's just a basic craft organizer ($6 at Ben Franklin). The nice thing about this one is that both rows and columns are adjustable (unlike some of the fixed-column Rubbermaid ones I've gotten for M'44 and BattleLore).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
badge
ACT AS IF THE TRUTH IS REAL
mb
kduke wrote:
Quote:
I broke out my Rickenbacker SPAD from its styrene holder yesterday and had the wheel assembly pop off as I did so

... FwiW, I've opened 10 of these boxes, doing it carefully (as described) and the only casualty was the landing gear on Fonck's SPAD.

I wonder if there's something in the spad production...

All mine were fine -- except the SPAD!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Greisz
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was very careful but had 2 of the Spad's lose their wheels. Everything else came out fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Smulling
United States
Cranston
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpat wrote:

This is a bad shot (so it's just in my gallery). I'm planning on putting some cut foam down at the bottom of each square in the box. It's just a basic craft organizer ($6 at Ben Franklin). The nice thing about this one is that both rows and columns are adjustable (unlike some of the fixed-column Rubbermaid ones I've gotten for M'44 and BattleLore).

This is a great idea! Thanks. It almost looks like that container was made for these figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cybernex wrote:

and you push the tray from below, rather than pulling from above, the tray will remain perfectly functional for later use.

Following this advice I managed to snap the wing clen off my Spad. And I hate the nasty white fog that superglue has left around the repair site.

For the rest of my minis, I followed my initial instincts (and heroscape-unpacking technique) - I hacked the plastic packaging to [ieces with scissors before attempting extraction.

I *hate* overblown packaging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buckingham
United States
Berne
IN
flag msg tools
Watch and learn... - Dr. Who
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Rickenbacker shot down. Ripped off not only the wheels but the upper wing as well... cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weinfurther
United States
West Bloomfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that after you remove the miniature, you can push in the bumps in the insert that hold the wings, so that you can easily put the miniature back in. It takes a bit of fingertip pressure to push the bumps in, but afterwards the original packaging works great as storage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jachimowicz
United States
Millersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonnyG wrote:
I was very careful but had 2 of the Spad's lose their wheels. Everything else came out fine.

Good to know this. I can now "unground for life" my seven year old. He took Fonck's Spad out of the packaging and the undercarriage was broken off.

Mayhaps I was a bit too harsh in my admonishment.

Chris J.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Higginbottom
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Thanks-- I meant to post something about that a couple days ago.

The obvious move would be to pull from the wings, and that's certain to mean our wing comes off. It's a very clever carrier and I'm impressed what a snug fit it provides.

Just got the deluxe set. If you look carefully there are "bumps" in the plastic carrier to hold the wings, press them in with a finger or other suitable instrument and then press the planes out from below as the the above advice suggestes. If you would like to repack into the supplied packaging just press down the bottom of the plastic carriers but do not press out the "wing bumps" and all will be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I inverted the bumps with a butter knife (no sharp paint damaging edge) and the minies come out easily. I really wanted to keep the packaging to use as transportation. I've painted armies and B5 fleets in the past, and figuring out how to transport them has always been a pain in the bum. So there was no way I wanted to wreck the ready made plastic carrier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Campbell
msg tools
mbmb
I think a larger version of the tuck box(see link) that holds the planes as well as the maneuver deck, bases & altitude pins would be a great alternative to the box the planes come packaged in. It wouldn't offer the most protection but it would allow for a nice way to organize the planes when they are placed in a larger box or case.

http://boardgamegeeks.com/filepage/39646

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls