Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please forgive my ignorance...

Let me explain why I'm asking this question. We had some new neighbors move in across the street last week. They're devout muslims. They don't have any friends or family in the area. We've gone over and visited with them a few times since they moved in and my wife and I were thinking of inviting them to our house for Thanksgiving. Naturally, thoughts of having guests over leads me to thinking of what games I might be able to play with them. Their English isn't good at all- but they're trying to improve. I bring this up because it will limit what games are an option for us to play with them.

The Timeline series seems like a good option as a game that doesn't require players to have an excellent grasp of any particular language. But then I got to wondering whether any of the Timeline games have depictions of the prophet Muhammad. As I understand it, Islam doesn't approve of depicting Muhammad in artwork, so I worry that if there is a card in one of my Timeline games that has a depiction of Muhammad and it comes out while I'm playing with my new neighbors, they could potentially be offended by it.

So can someone tell me whether any of my Timeline games have a card that depicts Muhammad? Here are the versions I have:

Timeline: Inventions
Timeline: Historical Events
Timeline: Diversity
Timeline: Discoveries

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After you have yourself looked through your decks, please share us what your initiative and endeavor discovered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all four of them, but I don't remember any depiction of Muhammad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 622 AD/CE is the magic year you are looking for so watch for anything from that year or about fifty years before. If you find nothing, I think you're going to be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krsnaji wrote:
After you have yourself looked through your decks, please share us what your initiative and endeavor discovered.

Well, I took your advice to heart. I searched through all four decks and found no sign of Muhammad.

I also found myself thinking that this game might not be as accessible to non-native English speakers as I was originally thinking. I think, of the decks that I own, the Inventions deck would probably be the most accessible for people whose English isn't very good.

On a seperate note, I found myself wondering why there were cards for "The discovery of asteroids" and "The discovery of Uranus" in the Inventions set. Does that seems odd to anyone else? I guess it's possible that those two cards migrated into that deck from my Science and Discoveries deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I remember its the color of the dates on the back that helps you determine which set the card is from.

Oh, and I would say any of the sets are okay for non-native speakers. My wife surprised us with being able to place a lot of cards in the correct position that we thought she would have trouble with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Levine
United States
Clinton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Svengaard wrote:
As far as I remember its the color of the dates on the back that helps you determine which set the card is from.

This is true for the Inventions cards, with the small exception of an extra green Saxofon card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not play something truly language/culture independent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BartP wrote:

Sure. Great idea. What do you see in my collection that you would suggest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne, Dixit (maybe), Incan Gold, No Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My best-rated game: Tetrarchia, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
badge
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
BartP wrote:

Two games that you own and that I have used with neighbors that had NEVER played a board game: Dixit and Qwirkle. They both worked very well. Very simple rules and newbies don't feel at disadvantage at all. And Dixit is very good to let people know each other!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:
TIM0THY wrote:
BartP wrote:

Two games that you own and that I have used with neighbors that had NEVER played a board game: Dixit and Qwirkle. They both worked very well. Very simple rules and newbies don't feel at disadvantage at all. And Dixit is very good to let people know each other!

I agree that those are good games for boardgame novices. But do you feel like it would be easy to explain the game to someone whose native language you don't speak and who has only a limited understanding of your native language?

Dixit is a very simple game. But the scoring is just far enough outside of most people's experience that I worry it could be problematic trying to get the point across.

For reference, I'll share a brief story. They came over to my house on Saturday because they needed help with their internet router. I gladly went over to their house to see if I could help. They're apparently subscribed to a cable internet provider. They could get the router to broadcast a wifi signal when it was attached to the coaxial cable in their basement. But when they attempted to connect it to the coaxial cable on the main floor it wouldn't work. I proceeded to verify this. Then I tried to explain that there was a possibility that the two cables weren't connected, and that often various previous residents of a house will sign up for different television services, such as Dish, Direct TV, cable, etc, and when this is done they can end up with multiple sets of cables routed through the house and not all them are connected to eachother.

In short, I simply wanted to convey the idea that the upstairs coax cable might not be connected to the downstairs cable, because it may have been installed by a different service provider. But I did not succeed. I consider myself an intelligent person. But I could not convey this simple concept to them. Sure, they understood that the upstairs cable had no signal. But they didn't need my help to understand that- they had already figured that much out on their own. But this idea that the upstairs cable might have been on its own network, installed by a different provider... I just couldn't get it across to them. Or, if I did, I was unable to verify that they understood it.

So, given this level of communication. I really worry about trying to explain how scoring works in Dixit or how the farms (or anything else, for that matter) are scored in Carcassonne, or how you get chased out of the temple in Incan Gold, or how you bid on cards and play and score in No Thanks. On the other hand, the gameplay and the concept of "scoring" in Timeline seems like they could be conveyed through a combination of language and demonstration. That's how I came to my conclusion that it would be a good option to play with them.

Edit:
Unfortunately, after reading through all my Timeline cards last night, I worry that the wording on many of those will be too complex (lexically, if not grammatically) for my neighbors to understand. But I think I could probably remove the more problematic cards and keep just the ones that are easy to understand and I might have some success that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My best-rated game: Tetrarchia, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
badge
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I had missed the part about them not speaking English well. It could work anyway, but making an effort and using simpler clues. I remember once we used Dixit to play with an American student that came to our home in an exchange with my daughter. It was a good way to establish a first contact with the family, and for her to learn some French words!

Qwirkle may be easier though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the language issues, would Google Translate work??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my, I don't suggest using Google Translate at all. If you don't have a common language to speak it can give some really horrid translations. Keeping the games mostly language dependent is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.