Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Sans Alliés» Forums » Rules

Subject: setback after retreat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter dR
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While playing I was not sure if I handled the rules correctly.

I had to retreat so I took a card from the discard pile and put on row 4.
With my next invasion I could get rid of this card. Row 4 was empty again.
I thought that a setback is allowed but I am not sure?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
usurper wrote:
While playing I was not sure if I handled the rules correctly.

I had to retreat so I took a card from the discard pile and put on row 4.
With my next invasion I could get rid of this card. Row 4 was empty again.
I thought that a setback is allowed but I am not sure?


Without my rules handy, setbacks only occur when capturing a Resource Center, or appropriate roll on bombing. Just clearing a row is just clearing a row.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Greer
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Thanks for the question, usurper. Clearing an entire row does cause a setback, though it wasn't always this way during the pre-production days. So what Eric is remembering is the way it used to be, but in the official rules released with the production copy, clearing a full row is one of the ways a setback can be caused, listed under the heading SETBACKS.

As to your question, usurper: you have stumbled upon an infrequent occurrence that is not actually addressed in the rules (a result of that setback rule not always having been there.) The official ruling would be this:

You cannot force the enemy to suffer two setbacks by clearing the same defensive tier twice. If you cause a formerly deleted tier to re-appear as a result of retreating from the next tier up, you would NOT be able to cause a setback again by clearing that one region card that had been added back on to the enemy nation.

The rationale is you've already done the significant damage to that part of the country to cause the first setback. You wouldn't be able to harm the enemy any further simply by wreaking havoc to the same stretch of land over and over again. Besides that, from the standpoint of play mechanics, that would simply be too easy.

Thanks for playing. Please let me know if you have any other questions!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter dR
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for replying fast.
So my win was based on cheating.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Might I make a suggestion?

With the clarifications regarding "Floating in Isolation" Regions, and readding tiers due to retreats, etc etc, would "No Setback Upon Clearing" reminder tokens/chits be included in any possible future printings?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cameron
United States
Martinez
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Might I make a suggestion?

With the clarifications regarding "Floating in Isolation" Regions, and readding tiers due to retreats, etc etc, would "No Setback Upon Clearing" reminder tokens/chits be included in any possible future printings?



I just rotate my Enemy technology chits 90 degrees as a reminder that i cleared that row already.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
wannaoreo wrote:
Moe45673 wrote:
Might I make a suggestion?

With the clarifications regarding "Floating in Isolation" Regions, and readding tiers due to retreats, etc etc, would "No Setback Upon Clearing" reminder tokens/chits be included in any possible future printings?



I just rotate my Enemy technology chits 90 degrees as a reminder that i cleared that row already.


genius! that works great. thanks for the tip!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The same situation happened to me. I would suggest adding the official ruling to the FAQ.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squishy Mu

Bend
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also agree. It should be added to the FAQ. I played it wrong in my game. Ultimately did not change the outcome though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.