Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Cake
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I probably know the answer to this but can't find it specifically in the rulebook. I know you cannot take back tiles etc from your boards but can you rearrange them on the boards if you wish to (perhaps to better fit in a new large piece)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As far as I know, the rules just say, "Once you place a goods tile on a board or house, you cannot take it back."

I think almost everyone has assumed the intent is, "You also cannot move anything after placing it." I don't know that it's explicit however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Long
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
No you can't rearrange. That would defeat the whole purpose, it would cease to be a puzzle game. Ive let first time players rearrange a piece they stupidly placed, but it's not legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Cake
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
As far as I know, the rules just say, "Once you place a goods tile on a board or house, you cannot take it back."

I think almost everyone has assumed the intent is, "You also cannot move anything after placing it." I don't know that it's explicit however.

I'd assumed that you couldn't rearrange as it would spoil the puzzle element of the game but just thought I would check as it is not stated clearly in the rulebook.

I am loving the game so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the rules lawyers in your group point out:

Placing tiles is an action, a 'free' action but still an action. It is an action the rules day you cannot take back.

Arranging tiles is *not* an action you can take, free or otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Macfarlane
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is actually very interesting. It's obvious to me that if your tiles are arranged a certain way on your home board in order to collect a certain income or bonus tile then those tiles that enabled you to receive these bonuses have to remain in place from that point onward. The same goes for the exploration boards and sheds/houses.

However, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if my opponent moves/removes/replaces tiles on any of their boards as long as they don't touch the tiles they've fixed in place that get them income/bonus tiles each round.

It makes no difference to me whether these tiles are in their supply or lying on a particular board to help them visualise what kind of tiles they may be looking for in the future to plug all the -1 spaces. Those are end game tiles only, and as such I don't think it matters where they are until the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EDG
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The way I interpret it is that you can put tiles on the boards temporarily while trying to find the optimal placement but once you say that you've finished placing them then that's it, you can't rearrange or reorient them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Generally what we have been doing during games as kind of an unwritten rule/procedure to allow players to put down tiles on their boards on a temporary basis up until the INCOME phase of the turn. Just before declaring income, we allow players to move any pieces acquired that turn and finalize them. Once we have passed the income phase of the turn, those placements become finalized and cannot be removed/moved in any way.

The wording "cannot take them back" is probably a translation inconsistency. The letter of the law is that placements on the home/exploration/house boards are all meant to be final.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
EDG_ wrote:
The way I interpret it is that you can put tiles on the boards temporarily while trying to find the optimal placement but once you say that you've finished placing them then that's it, you can't rearrange or reorient them.

This is exactly the intention and the way we play it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We do this the same way. The only problem here is on fuller boards, especially if you're also trying to monitor opponents, it can become unclear what was placed this round versus what was already locked in from previous rounds. Sometimes I might get mixed up just keeping track of my own stuff!

Great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.