Subject: Is it worth buying KDM right now or waiting for the reprint? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joao
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I have been playing the game on tabletop and me and my friends are loving it. I am thinking of picking up a pretty good deal of a core set+ kickstarter rewards+ dragon king expansion+ Gorm expansion for 700$. I have been debating on wether i should pick this up. Its all still in shrink wrapped. So i guess the question is should i pick this up or should i wait for the reprint of the game? I heard the reprint might have a pledge level for just the rule updated stuff. Instead of buying everything again. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would pick it up, unless you're ready to wait for 12 more months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good price. You can wait until the KS starts to see how it is structured, but you wouldn't be going too far wrong springing for it now.

One way or another, the original owners will get the updates (Adam has mentioned putting together a kit at-cost for original owners).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Olvenskol wrote:
That's a good price. You can wait until the KS starts to see how it is structured, but you wouldn't be going too far wrong springing for it now.

One way or another, the original owners will get the updates (Adam has mentioned putting together a kit at-cost for original owners).

Does that mean that someone like me wouldnt be able to pledge for that level to receive the update cards? Is it just exclusive to the firdt people who backed the kickstarter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captn_Winkle .
msg tools
It has probably already been talked about but I don't even get the e mails from Adam for some reason.

So, this new Kickstarter, any close idea what it will be? ( new things or literally just a reprint for those that missed out on the first? ) and I assume it will also be like a year of waiting? ( which I might even be dead by then ).

Thanks for clarification. After spending more than $3K on this, I wanna be more picky now with where I am putting my monez for KD, for the moment no more models without rules, I have now 2 SLender men, 2 Flower Knights and some repeat models...grrrr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
hoboextreme wrote:
Olvenskol wrote:

Does that mean that someone like me wouldnt be able to pledge for that level to receive the update cards? Is it just exclusive to the firdt people who backed the kickstarter?

Well, we don't know the precise details, but I imagine there will be an upgrade kit sold at the store. I can't think of any reason it would be limited to original KS backers (if so, I have my own problem since I bought out someone else's pledge). But, I suppose that is a risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Koch
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hoboextreme wrote:
I have been playing the game on tabletop and me and my friends are loving it. I am thinking of picking up a pretty good deal of a core set+ kickstarter rewards+ dragon king expansion+ Gorm expansion for 700$. I have been debating on wether i should pick this up. Its all still in shrink wrapped. So i guess the question is should i pick this up or should i wait for the reprint of the game? I heard the reprint might have a pledge level for just the rule updated stuff. Instead of buying everything again. Thoughts?

I would go for it. Even if there will be an upgrade kit of any kind, you'll can get it later, I guess. And even if not, KD:M is a great game and many people are excited with the current set of rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good price and you get to play ASAP. The KS reprint will take a year or more before the game is in your hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blaine French

Temple
Texas
msg tools
mbmb
I believe he mentioned there would be an upgrade kit for owners of the current edition, not just prior backers. Should be in the most recent kickstarter update.

The real question is do you want to wait and do you want to save $50-$150? The kickstarter rewards from the first time around are largely (with the exception of about 4-5 models) duplicates of stuff found in the base game. If you're not in a rush, retail on the gorm, dagon, and a base set would be just over $600 plus tax and shipping. Hopefully the reprint on the kickstarter is less expensive and then you'd have the updated cards and rules. So if you're getting the other one sans tax and shipping, want it now, and don't mind buying the upgrade kit then go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing ro consider is that we do not know if expansions reprint will be part of the kickstarter. And dragon king has been sold outfor months. If it was me, I would buy it and co sider it a good deal. I bought the ckre game after it was sold out and before the announcement of the reprint for 675 and consider that a deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bibious P
msg tools
mbmb
That is a very fair price and if you can swing it I would move on it.
The game is amazing, and you'll get to play it now. I'm sure if you ended up getting a second copy via the KS you will be able to move it for and get your money back pretty easily.

We haven't played in a while, travel and life, but getting ready to start a new campaign in the next few days. I can't wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
hoboextreme wrote:

It's a very fair price when you keep in mind the retail costs of all the items mentioned. Plus Gorm and Dragon are some of the best expansions too.

New Ks will mostly likely ship next August or so. Really anything extra you're paying is just for getting it early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Butthole Hands
United States
Mercer Island
Wa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hoboextreme wrote:

Do it. That it's a year of enjoyment you'll have that you wouldn't if you had waited. You can always support the next Kickstarter as well, and the upgrade pack will be available to everyone since he sold a few thousand retail copies. Maybe you'll get a few games in before the world ends up like KD, depending on how this election goes. If Trump wins I'm going to be the first to volunteer my hands for the Phoenix's butthole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, how did we go from purchase advice to buttholes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Butthole Hands
United States
Mercer Island
Wa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:
Wait, how did we go from purchase advice to buttholes?

Its like 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember- we're speculating a 12 month delivery time. We're still dealing with the same Adam Poots, people!

On a side note- that is a decent price, so go for it. I'm all for picking up stuff at Ebay prices, so long as they aren't too crazy. I'd rather pay a bit more and have my toys now. The art of Ebay is waiting for a decent deal to come along.

When you're considering 'retail price' for KDM stuff, remember that the store charges about $15 shipping if you're ordering from the right county (and I hear a lot more than that for international stuffs). So figure a $60 expansion is $75, and a $75 expansion is about $90. Add it all up, and then take a look at how much extra you're paying for currently hard to obtain items.

So, your deal looks like this:

Core box- $400
Dragon King - $165
Gorm - $90
KS extras- ???

So, at retail, you'd be paying $655. It is hard to say that the KS extras aren't worth $45, because the minis that have been released are $25 each.

In short- jump on that deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Butthole Hands
United States
Mercer Island
Wa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
odinsgrandson wrote:
Remember- we're speculating a 12 month delivery time. We're still dealing with the same Adam Poots, people!

While we're speculating, I'm going to throw out there that part of the reason he's selling the Armor Kits in the shop is because he's already started the reprint process to some extent. Just a shot in the dark, but it seems like a really weird thing to make available on its own... But, you know, I'm the hand in the butthole guy so take it with a grain of salt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I ended up taking eveyone's advice and ended up going to pick it up. I cant believe how big this box is..... Now to find sleeves for all of these cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Butthole Hands
United States
Mercer Island
Wa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hoboextreme wrote:
I ended up taking eveyone's advice and ended up going to pick it up. I cant believe how big this box is..... Now to find sleeves for all of these cards...

Its pretty crazy... Plan on space for the box and the mini's since they won't fit back in the box.

As far as sleeves, assembly etc goes, check out vibrant lantern. The guy that runs that site is awesome and has build guides for all the models. Sleeves are extremely non-standard. You'll need to be a bit creative with the gear cards. Id suggest buying some 52mm x ___mm sleeves and trimming them. There's only one company that makes sleeves of the correct size and they don't have a history of delivering... things.

Have a blast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpancier wrote:
[q="hoboextreme"]You'll need to be a bit creative with the gear cards. Id suggest buying some 52mm x ___mm sleeves and trimming them. There's only one company that makes sleeves of the correct siz
Have a blast!

Mage and Swan Panasia makes it two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Butthole Hands
United States
Mercer Island
Wa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ksiazekrzysztof wrote:
jpancier wrote:
[q="hoboextreme"]You'll need to be a bit creative with the gear cards. Id suggest buying some 52mm x ___mm sleeves and trimming them. There's only one company that makes sleeves of the correct siz
Have a blast!

Mage and Swan Panasia makes it two.

They do have them! I must have overlooked it. I think I read somewhere that they were a little small though. And they're the penny sleeve quality material. I guess I'll order some and find out.

Mage doesn't seem to ship all that often, if ever.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Had a quick question for people on this group. Looks like the game i picked up came with two extra character. One of them looks like link?? And the other one seems to have wings. Any idea on these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Butthole Hands
United States
Mercer Island
Wa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hoboextreme wrote:
Had a quick question for people on this group. Looks like the game i picked up came with two extra character. One of them looks like link?? And the other one seems to have wings. Any idea on these?

Rather than be helpful, I'm going to ask a question myself. How many sets of tokens/terrain did your copy come with. I have 3 sets of cardboard to punch out and it seems like too many.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Butthole Hands
United States
Mercer Island
Wa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hoboextreme wrote:

Ha, here's what you're looking at:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/740460-.html?m=2

messanger of humanity and courage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpancier wrote:
odinsgrandson wrote:

While we're speculating, I'm going to throw out there that part of the reason he's selling the Armor Kits in the shop is because he's already started the reprint process to some extent. Just a shot in the dark, but it seems like a really weird thing to make available on its own... But, you know, I'm the hand in the butthole guy so take it with a grain of salt.

I'm guessing the armor kits are from all the boxes that they had to pull this or that for customer service/part replacement

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.