$5.00
$15.00
$20.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

The Voyages of Marco Polo» Forums » General

Subject: Common overlooked rules/nuances in the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are some of the common things missed in Marco Polo by players?

Paying for using a dice on an occupied space keeps slipping from my memory and receiving camel or coin compensation when you roll under 15 of your combined dice in the difference of the total to 15.

D'oh!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only buy one black die per turn (using camels) but you can get more from other soruces (contracts, city bonuses), and you can hoard them, you can get another one on the next turn without spending the first one.

You can do any of the extra actions both before and after your main action, and multiple times per turn (except for buying a black die). And the three-coin pouch is an extra action, not a main one.

You can always re-roll or change an unfavorable dice result as long as you have camels.

In most city cards, the number you place there determines how many times you can repeat the card action, you're not limited to doing it once.

And specially for first time players: There are many other ways to move besides the travel action space. Yes, you can deploy all those posts and visit most if not all the objective cities with almost any character if you grab them quickly enough, it's not as impossible as it seems.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paying for dice is probably the biggest. Especially the wrinkles:

1. Pay the bank not the player
2. Pay the lowest die pips not highest
3. You cannot take a spot if you cannot pay. (Seems obvious but i have multiple times seem people try to put a 1 pip on the dice coin space and collect four coins. Doesn't work that way - you MUST pay 1 coin and then collect five)

Some others:

The city action that lets you take one or two small city bonuses MUST come from ones you have trading posts in. The "pick one" small city bonus can come from any.

Black and white dice have no color and can be used to overlay other dice.

City actions cannot be paid to do again.

Most city actions use optional multipliers and you must pay the cost as many times as you reap the reward up to a max of the number of pips on the die placed there. (Notable exception the 2x coins)

Some city actions are limited by both die roll AND something else. For example you get something PER contract turned in UP to die pips, whichever is lower.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nikolaos Kamoudis
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Change the contracts ,if no one pick one its easy to forget.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, the one that even experienced gamers overlook sometimes: You cannot repeat an action using dice of your own color! Meaning that even if you can pay for it, you cannot stack your yellow die if somewhere down that same stack there is already another yellow one. You need to use black and/or white dice to repeat an action.

It still happens to me sometimes that I plan ahead a few moves, only to realize that I have already taken one of those actions early in the round and I don't have any more black dice (or the pips on the one I have are wrong)... time to start planning again from scratch.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Eppler
Germany
Braunschweig
flag msg tools
The thing we got wrong the first few games:

You are allowed to buy one black die per turn...and not round.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mearendil wrote:
You can only buy one black die per turn (using camels) but you can get more from other soruces (contracts, city bonuses), and you can hoard them, you can get another one on the next turn without spending the first one.


Are you sure you can hoard them? Coulda sworn the rulebook tells you to immedietly roll the die and add it to your pool as soon as you get it. Unless theres a rule that states you dont have to use your entire pool during the round, which Id be unfamiliar with.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you roll it add it to the pool immediately, but you don't have to use it before your next turn, so you can buy another one while still holding the one you got on a previous turn (of course, that's if the other players let you run with it by noy buying them for themselves). Having more than one black die is necessary for re-using the two and three-dice spots on the board.

We're talikg turns here, not rounds. In this game that's a very important distinction and it's also misunderstood very often. A round ends when every player has used up all their dice, and the whole game consists of only five rounds, but each player has multiple turns during each round (the number varies depending on how fast they spend all their dice, and how many extra dice they get). Of course, by the end of the round all black dice would have been used by all the players who got them because the round ends only when nobody has more dice, so they are returned to the stock.

Some people at first used to think that you could only hold ONE black die at a time because they misunderstood the limitation on the extra actions and confused turns with rounds. The limit is to how many you can buy per turn, not how many you can get from other sources or hold at a time.
7 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mearendil wrote:
Yes, you roll it add it to the pool immediately, but you don't have to use it before your next turn, so you can buy another one while still holding the one you got on a previous turn (of course, that's if the other players let you run with it by noy buying them for themselves). Having more than one black die is necessary for re-using the two and three-dice spots on the board.

We're talikg turns here, not rounds. In this game that's a very important distinction and it's also misunderstood very often. A round ends when every player has used up all their dice, and the whole game consists of only five rounds, but each player has multiple turns during each round (the number varies depending on how fast they spend all their dice, and how many extra dice they get). Of course, by the end of the round all black dice would have been used by all the players who got them because the round ends only when nobody has more dice, so they are returned to the stock.

Some people at first used to think that you could only hold ONE black die at a time because they misunderstood the limitation on the extra actions and confused turns with rounds. The limit is to how many you can buy per turn, not how many you can get from other sources or hold at a time.


OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh!!!!
Okay, thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kounabi22 wrote:
Change the contracts ,if no one pick one its easy to forget.


I sure hope not. This is how you keep track of how long the game should be!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
- During setup, characters are chosen before destination cards.
- Compact the contract offer to the left after a player has taken some.
- VPs for the 8th and 9th trading posts are awarded immediately (unlike those awarded for having reached Beijing).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The character that has three copies, we almost missed that, since we were playing with four players we remembered at the last moment to use the copy that only allowed for one good when visiting the resource market (or whatever it's called).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Piefer "Luke Luke The Orange"

Brooklyn
New York
msg tools
mbmb
You get small city bonuses at the start of each new round and when you first place a trading post in the small city. This can result in getting the bonus twice in quick succession. We forgot to take our immediate bonuses when placing trading posts during round 3 of our game, and didn't catch our mistake until the start of round 4 when it was too late to use our bonus to inform the rest of our round 3 actions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.