Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Attacks in General: You choose a target in play with health as your target. Targets that are immune to the kind of damage you deal will take no damage; However, you are still allowed to target them. If you do not have a target, you cannot play an Attack.
Example: I have Flanking in play, which grants bonus damage to people who attack after I do. I play Spear Volley and target Hotspark Hatchlings. They take no damage from the attack, but I am allowed to pay 1 prowess to draw a card and they will take bonus damage if another hero then makes a melee attack against them.

Battles: Playing an Attack begins a battle. During battle you may not buy anything. A single monster is the target of the battle and any attacks must target that same monster (damage from an explosive effect like Fireball may damage other monsters, but the primary target must be that monster). The heroes decide when the battle ends. At that point, four things happen in whatever order the heroes prefer:
The total damage of all Attacks and effects played is applied to the monster.
If the monster dies, Heroism is earned as appropriate.
If effects in play applied Afflictions (such as Wild Charge causing an extra Wound or Greater Flamewrack burning the first attacker of the round), heroes gain those.
If one or more heroes dealt melee damage, each who did gains a Wound.
Heroes are allowed to initiate multiple battles in a round, limited only by the number of Attacks they have in hand (and how many Wounds they're willing to take).

Blessed Smite: Your target takes 2 melee damage. If you paid magic when you played Blessed Smite you then draw a card. Then all heroes (including you) may return one Wound from in hand to its stack. Any hero who does so draws a card.
You must pay the magic cost when you are first playing the Attack.

Fireball: Your target takes 1 ranged damage. If you pay 1 magic, you may either deal +1 damage (a total of 2 ranged hits) to the target, or you may put 1 damage marker on each other target with a health total in play. This second effect is neither melee nor ranged damage, so it is added to anything that is not immune to all damage. Also, because it is not melee you do not gain a Wound for using it. If you pay 2 magic when playing Fireball you deal 2 ranged hits to your primary target and 1 untyped damage to all other targets with health totals.
You may only get each boost effect once, meaning there are 4 total options: Fireball, Big Fireball, Exploding Fireball, or Big Exploding Fireball.

Fist Flurry: Your target takes 1 melee damage. If you play an Epic Attack after Fist Flurry before Cleanup, return Fist Flurry to the top of your deck.
While it's not unforgiveably weak, this effect does not trigger often enough for this card to be worthy of its 4 prowess price tag. Feel free to start playing it now as the version it is likely to be next edition:
If You play an Epic Attack while Fist Flurry is in play or in your discard pile, return Fist Flurry to the top of your deck.

Leading Strike: You deal 1 melee damage to your target if there are no Guards (Villagers with the red shield as their symbol; includes Master-at-Arms) in play, or 2 melee damage if there are one or more Guards in play. Also, regardless of how much damage you deal, the cost of all Villagers drops by 2 Coin for the rest of the round (making any of your starting Villagers free). This effect stacks, but cannot reduce a cost below 0. For instance, if three different heroes play Leading Strike in one turn the Prince drops from costing 2 prowess and 5 coin to costing 2 prowess and 0 coin.
Leading Strike does not reduce the cost to remove the Vagrant from town.
Because Leading Strike's secondary effect is so powerful, the rule bears mentioning again: You cannot play this card without a target.

Raging Inferno: First of all, Raging Inferno is marked as an Action but that is a typo. Raging Inferno is indeed an Attack.
Your target takes 2 melee damage. If you pay 1 magic, reveal any number of Afflictions from your hand and add that much damage to every target with a health total, including your primary target.

Ritual Cut: If there are no Learned (blue book symbol) Villagers in play, the target takes 1 melee damage. If there are, the target takes 1 ranged damage instead. This effect happens only when you first play Ritual Cut.
Ritual Cut is a Stance. Stances remain in play during Cleanup. If the hero who played Ritual Cut plays another Stance, discard Ritual Cut from play without effect. If another hero plays a Spell that has a boost option, discard Ritual Cut from play and that hero gains 1 magic.

Spear Volley: If there have been no ranged attacks played by other heroes this round before you play this attack, your target takes 1 ranged damage. If any other hero has played at least one ranged attack against any target this round, your target takes 2 ranged damage instead. If you pay 1 prowess when you first play Spear Volley, you draw a card.

Thieving Strike: Your target takes 1 melee damage. Determine who played the first Attack card against your target this round. If it was not you, then instead of the Wound you would take this battle for getting into melee combat, you take a Coin. This is regardless of any other attacks you may have played.
This effect overrides effects on cards like Lesser Flamewrack that replace the Wound with something worse.
If you were not going to take a Wound anyway, for instance because your target is a Freeze or the Wound stack is empty, you cannot gain Coins this way.
Thieving Strike's Wound swap-out for Coin applies only to the normal Wound you gain for getting into melee. If you play a Spell while Thunderbird is in play during a battle, you can't swap that Wound out for a Coin by playing two Thieving Strikes in a row. If you play Wild Charge and earn an extra Wound, that extra Wound cannot be replaced with a Coin.
Note however that if you have two Thieving Strikes and the means to make a second Epic Attack, you ARE allowed to complete one battle and immediately initiate another.

Wild Charge: Based on the ways you can boost it, there are 4 variants of Wild Charge.
If you pay 0 prowess, your target takes 2 melee damage and you take a Wound when the battle ends. This is in addition to the Wound you will take for getting into melee combat.
If you pay 1 prowess, your target takes 2 melee damage and you take a Wound unless your target dies of this Attack (dies in this battle and Wild Charge is the last Attack played).
If you pay 2 prowess, your target takes 3 melee damage and you take a Wound.
If you pay 3 prowess, your target takes 3 melee damage and you take a Wound unless your target dies of this attack.
If you attack a Freeze or Totem with Wild Charge, you do take the bonus Wound from your reckless attack. If your attack will break the Freeze (or if you are attacking a Totem), you may pay the prowess boost to avoid that Wound.
A Thieving Strike prevents the Wound you would take for regular melee combat, but not the one you get specifically for playing the Wild Charge. A Holy Aura can prevent either Wound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor L
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
karishi wrote:
b]Fist Flurry:[/b] Your target takes 1 melee damage. If you play an Epic Attack after Fist Flurry before Cleanup, return Fist Flurry to the top of your deck.
While it's not unforgiveably weak, this effect does not trigger often enough for this card to be worthy of its 4 prowess price tag. Feel free to start playing it now as the version it is likely to be next edition:
If You play an Epic Attack while Fist Flurry is in play or in your discard pile, return Fist Flurry to the top of your deck.

This is one card I can never find it in me to buy, because it does seem very weak. Indeed, I think I prefer Strike, which you can at least make ranged. (I've also never bought Rousing Speech, but that's because I've only played with two heroes.) One issue is that you need to have an Epic attack (there may not even be one available). Another is that you often don't even want the Fist Flurry back on top of our deck, like when you don't have any monsters to attack. Here's a completely untested idea, which I think fits the idea of a "fist flurry": what if the "return to the top of the deck" was triggered instead by playing multiple Fist Flurry attacks? (Also, can this effect be optional?)

I know I should really try this card out before commenting on it, but as I said, I can never bring myself to buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for making up these lists again - they have been very helpful and neccesary in the first edition.

BUT I really am disappointed that yet again I have to search for RULES on BGG. Why couldn't the card explanation have been included in the game???? And that is a criticism that has been voiced over and over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.