Subject: Prototype Showdown rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jochen Eisenhuth
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I finished the work on a high quality prototype for my fantasy skirmish game and I'd like to share some images here:

Cards are printed on high definition paper and sleeved with old Magic cards behind, the figures are wooden with matt vinyl paper glued to it, board is pvc-film glued to flywood and for the tokens I bought plastic tokens and applied vinyl paper.
I'm thinking of applying some kind of varnish to make the stuff more water resistant.
All in all I very much enjoy building prototypes and I think it makes it way easier to get some playtesting in if the materials are nice to handle.

Happy Gaming,

Chordcommander

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True
United States
Seaside
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
That is really beautiful work. It is very evocative of 80s GW in the best sense. It is not the type of game that I would normally lean toward (from what I could tell) but it would immediately make my wish list on the quality of the workmanship.
True
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Eisenhuth
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks! Yes, there definitly is GW influence in this game/artwork, and even if I don't play/buy their new stuff (with Blood Bowl might being an exception ) it's basically them who brought me into this hobby and gave me a lot of inspiration for my designs. I think with all the bad things which are frequently said about GW (and some/a lot of them being true) we shouldn't forget how heavily they influenced us.

One more thing: Feel free to show your prototypes here in this thread as well! I know that there are a lot of very nice prototypes out there and sometimes we forget that things don't have to be shrinkwrapped to be beautiful and fun .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a beautiful prototype
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Next time, call me for the artwork and design. When someone has a beautiful idea and this much enthusiasm, I gladly lend my help for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Vestal
United States
Orland Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm impressed! I don't think I've seen such a legit prototype that someone made themselves. Nice work and thanks for the insight into how you did it. How much did the board cost to make? Any helpful links for where to find these materials/repeat the process?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Eisenhuth
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks guys .

For the materials of the board: most bigger print stores (also the online ones) print on PVC canvas (PVC canvas is the material used to cover the back of a truck) and I paid about 12 Euro for one Map (size about 40x60cm). The thin wood is not too expensive but the whole thing gets a little heavy so maybe using cardboard isn't a bad idea .

@ 8Oj4N: The game is not finished yet and I'm still happy about every piece of information/suggestions I can get regarding artwork/design as I painted this all by myself and I'm not a profesional artist. I'm currently contemplating going KS as well (as there is a very good and unique gameplay behind all that shiny stuff I showed ) and I think I'll need some help with artdesign if I go that road. Additionally I'm not sure if I can go KS with my artwork / or at least parts of my artwork or if I need to replace everything with full professional art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That art looks professional enough to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Eisenhuth
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks bill437! Actually there are quite a lot of players who really like the look of my game, especially on the table as it's kinda humorous and very colorful. But some people also told me that even if they like the gameplay they wouldn't buy the game (or back it on KS) as the artwork is not professional enough.

There is one more problem - the artstyle makes a lot of people expect a light beat'em up style game (something like King of Tokyo) but the game is very tactical, competitive, punishes mistakes quite hard and while it's not too complicated ruleswise there is a rather steep learning curve. I'm not sure if it's a big problem as there are some very competitive games out there (for example Warcraft 3, League of Legends)that nevertheless feature humorous/cartoony artstyles but maybe it's better to go in a more serious direction artstyle wise.

Here are some close up impressions of hero standees, cards and some more stuff:

Heroes:

Action Cards:

Items

Combat Card

Building

Critics or suggestions are appreciated, also I'm interested if the artwork would prevent you from backing a game like that on KS (provided you like the gameplay and the price is ok of course ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
If you want my opinion (graphic designer for 15 years, comic book artist for as long as I remember) I think that art style is on the right track but it needs to be 'refined' if you gonna do a KS. Mix between cartooney and serious look is perfect, because if you go too serious the 'feel' of the game you have just now (old style og GW games) is going to fade away, and I think that it is the one thing that this game definitely must keep.

If you wish, I can make a mock-up of one action card and one character from your collection to show you which things I would improve. I'm kinda bad in explaining in words, so I tend to show visually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Eisenhuth
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks again for your suggestion and your kind offer. Of course it would be very nice, if you could refine a charakter and an action card as getting a professional look while keeping the base aesthetics would be absolutely awesome (until this point I wasn't sure if it is even worth it to "improve" on semi-professional artworks, or if it is just better/more economic to let the professional artist restart from scratch).

Should I send you the files as PSDs?

And do you do comissions (in case I like the results and want to have my whole game brought to the new level )?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
You don't need to send me anything. I watch, adapt, conquer.
I'll post here results of my meddling probably over the weekend. Who knows, might turn you like it and it became a beginning of a beautiful friendship. XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Eisenhuth
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sounds great! I can't wait to see what you come up with !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Hey man, sorry, I haven't forget you, I was just busy as hell during the past week. I was working on few of mine projects and one of them was to fully design, make components and publish a game in a span of 2 weeks.
Killed myself with work, but it was worth it...

Anyway, I took one of your characters from the box (idk his name I just came up with all of the things on the card on my own) and made this mockup.
Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Eisenhuth
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hey Bojan,

thanks a lot - that was right on time, no worries! I love the concept (maybe it's a little too dark for my taste right now but that could just be the contrast to my works ) and your style is freaking amazing!

I checked some more of your works on Deviantart (sorry for stalking)and I found your Nighthunter Rengar - really good stuff, could be the thing!

Check your mailbox, pls!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.