United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Grand Rapids Area Boardgamers
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing the final variant, players have to call out how many moves it will take them to finish the puzzle. As far as I can tell, though, a "move" is never defined. Is it...

- Moving one ball from a test tube to another
- Moving more than one ball from a test tube to another
- Flipping a test tube
- Swapping the positions of test tubes

I think smaller moves probably make for a more interesting game in some sense, because it would make the bids higher.

Also, do players reset to the same state as one another each puzzle when playing this variant? Otherwise it seems common for one player to be in a much better position than the others, which makes the bidding rather moot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya know, I played this just this past weekend and experienced the same thing as you. I'd be fascinated by what other people do when they play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chaffer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who could you possibly have been playing with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chaffer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've settled on my preferred interpretation. Still curious on an "official" answer, but this is how we'll be playing puzzle mode when I teach:

- Use a single set of test tubes in the middle of the table.
- Bid on number of moves as stated in the rules.
- A move is any of the following:
- - Move one ball from a test tube to another
- - Swap the positions of two tubes with each other
- - Flip one tube upside down
- If the bid winner fails, due to either running out of moves or touching/dropping the balls, reset to the start state by using the previously-won card as a reference before the next bidder tries.

This definition of "moves" makes the bids higher (often in the 5-7 range), and since each player is working with the same puzzle things are fair and "almost solved" starting positions become rare. I think I'll make a small playmat with spots for the three tubes and a list of the move definitions, so then it can be used as a "lazy Susan" of sorts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.