Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've got 3 units in a chain with a leader who can activate all of them. During his turn, an enemy moves into a hex that only *one* of them can see. Can I activate all the units (via the leader) to opp fire and have only the one with vision take a shot, thereby allowing all the others to join in in a fire group when the opposing unit makes its anticipated next move (bringing it out from behind a LOS blocker)? Or can I only activate the unit who can *currently* see the enemy and perhaps play a second Fire action when the opposing unit steps into view to activate the rest.

Apologies if this is somewhere in the rules - repeated readings of the Fire order and the Opp Fire action are not making this clear to me, and the FAQ does not appear to address.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jackson

Gastonia,
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can activate them all. Only one activated unit must perform the Opp Fire action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Clevenger
United States
Sunnyvale
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the answer to your question is: No. I should have said that your "or" statement is the correct one:
cferejohn wrote:
Or can I only activate the unit who can *currently* see the enemy and perhaps play a second Fire action when the opposing unit steps into view to activate the rest.

See A.33.3 (3) “No more than one Fire Attack may be made by the inactive player per MP expenditure by the active player.”

So if you only have one OpFire card in hand and you use it when only one of your units can see the moving opponent, then you have to play another OpFire card once the unit moves again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
txaal wrote:
I believe the answer to your question is: No. I should have said that your "or" statement is the correct one:
cferejohn wrote:
Or can I only activate the unit who can *currently* see the enemy and perhaps play a second Fire action when the opposing unit steps into view to activate the rest.

See A.33.3 (3) “No more than one Fire Attack may be made by the inactive player per MP expenditure by the active player.”

So if you only have one OpFire card in hand and you use it when only one of your units can see the moving opponent, then you have to play another OpFire card once the unit moves again.

Not quite. Once a group of units are activated for Op Fire, they are good to fire at any moving units for the remainder of the opposing player's Order. While the activated (Op Firing) units can only make a single fire attack per MP expenditure, they can make fire attacks every MP expenditure for the rest of the opponent's Move Order.

It is a common tactic (from the other side of the table) to play a Move Order to move a single unit or a small group of units to try and draw your opponent's Op Fire card, then activate and move a much larger group of units. Those previously activated Op Fire units cannot be activated again during the Moving player's turn, so you can help with your maneuver that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
txaal wrote:
cferejohn wrote:

dont quit your day job.. lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.