Bears vs Babies» Forums » General

Subject: Silent BGG forum? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Winters
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Game is at $2 million on KS and the BGG forum is empty. Any thoughts on the game? Just an exploding kittens cash in or actual good game?

It LOOKS like there could be more to the game than exploding kittens

For anyone that has backed it: Why? Why not wait till retail and the reviews are out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Vaca
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy exploding kittens and i believe this game would be fun to play too. I'm sure they won't disappoint and will be a fun party game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shari
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I rarely wait for reviews on any game these days if what I see appeals to me and ticks enough boxes. In this case the boxes are as follows:

- I like bears
- I dislike babies
- I enjoy The Oatmeal
- Exploding Kittens was a positive experience for me as a Kickstarter campaign and as a game
- Price is reasonable for my budget/purposes
- Negligible shipping ($7) to Australia is definitely attractive

I hope Bears vs Babies is actually a good game, but even if it's only fun to play once (for the theme/art/easy laughs), I'll be satisfied. Plus, a little gamble can be fun itself.

I know this view will horrify a lot of people, but we all have different budgets/space constraints/tastes/replayability requirements/etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Nothin'
msg tools
This game looks really bad, actually. From what they released so far, there doesn't seem to be any decisions made in the game - it looks like it plays itself. You draw a bear card, it goes to the bear. You draw a baby card, it goes to the baby line. If at any point you have more bear cards than there are babies and your opponents do not, you activate the baby battle.

It just seems mindless. Maybe there's more to it, but there doesn't seem to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin H
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I came here to see if anyone had thoughts on this too when I saw the funded amount its reached; I never played Exploding Kittens. The card layout of building a character is new to me. However, it seems similar to https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/205459/stitches-card-gam..., especially the building mechanic, stitches seems to have a bit more on the battle than number vs number though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a retail copy of Exploding Kittens for a non-gamer friend because she is mad for cats and will surely enjoy the jokes. Her family likes to play extremely light party games every now and then, so it seemed like a good fit.

I have no problems whatsoever with anyone who is attracted to this game like Shari up above. But the general view with Oatmeal games is they do gangbusters on KS because people love the web comics and know the games will be trendy and extremely easy to play. But other than complaining about the odd bit of art (like the NSFW stuff), what is there to generate discussion on BGG? Doesn't mean it won't be enjoyable, but the appeal is shallower than CAH (and that's saying something). And the CAH forums seem to mostly consist of people asking about the multitude of expansion packs and/or applauding/complaining about the tasteless humor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
japester1 wrote:

I have no problems whatsoever with anyone who is attracted to this game like Shari up above. But the general view with Oatmeal games is they do gangbusters on KS because people love the web comics and know the games will be trendy and extremely easy to play. But other than complaining about the odd bit of art (like the NSFW stuff), what is there to generate discussion on BGG? Doesn't mean it won't be enjoyable, but the appeal is shallower than CAH (and that's saying something). And the CAH forums seem to mostly consist of people asking about the multitude of expansion packs and/or applauding/complaining about the tasteless humor.

^This^

As a game, I think it looks pretty bad. As a party game, which is what it's marketed as, I think it's probably fine(ish) haha. It's a relatively cheap game that you can played inebriated and/or not really having to concentrate very much. And, it produces outrageous creatures fighting babies, which could provide some easy entertainment in the right setting. If it looks entertaining or you think you have the right group for it to work with, support the project!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Artman
msg tools
I participated in a playtest for Bears vs Babies last week, and I found it very enjoyable. It's not a deeply intellectual game, but I found it more strategic than Exploding Kittens (which I also enjoy, so make of that what you will) as there was more decision-making as opposed to simply reacting to the previous play. It's still a light game full of absurd humor and bizarre artwork, but it is fun. Which is pretty much what I look for in a game. Hope to hear more discussion as the release date gets closer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.