Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see the issues with ballot selfies. Should they be illegal? Is it needed to preserve the secret ballot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
I can see the issues with ballot selfies. Should they be illegal? Is it needed to preserve the secret ballot?

Yeah. Recording devices in voting booths should be illegal to preserve anonymity.

If you're proud of who you voted for, just say who you voted for.

(If we didn't do it this way, people might find out we're secret Trumpit dominioneers.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're using a phone camera, you don't have great control over the shot and may be getting other people in the shot that don't want to be photographed.

In an enclosed booth, I don't know if it's an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:

What about ballot selfies that include a picture of your underage child holding a pen and marking the ballot for you? Is that okay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
What about a video of me sticking my finger up my butt and using my own feces to mark down my vote for Hillary? Don't I have the right to free speech?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
What about a video of me sticking my finger up my butt and using my own feces to mark down my vote for Hillary? Don't I have the right to free speech?

That's more performance art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:

That's...odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
sfox wrote:

That's...odd.

Yeah, he upped the ante too much on that one. I fold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha that is awesome Drew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:

They are illegal. They should be. It's needed to preserve true secret ballot voting. Allowing selfies allows voter intimidation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:

Well, at least in my state that would get the screen messy and also wouldn't register as a vote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it should be legal.

It's a pretty clear content based restriction on speech which requires a strict scrutiny test. I don't think an outright ban is "narrowly tailored", nor do I see a real compelling government interest in the ban.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
lfisher wrote:

They are illegal. They should be. It's needed to preserve true secret ballot voting. Allowing selfies allows voter intimidation.

Most places it is still legal or not well defined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
lfisher wrote:

Yeah. Recording devices in voting booths should be illegal to preserve anonymity.

(If we didn't do it this way, people might find out we're secret Trumpit dominioneers.)

I think we're so far down the point of including recording devices in items that people carry everywhere that prohibiting recording devices being in voting booths at all just isn't reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
The barn door's been left open for far too long on this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Just a grumpy old man wondering...

When will people get to the point where they start taking selfies above the toilet bowl, proudly displaying the crap floating in the water?

And you damn kids! Get off my lawn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
lfisher wrote:

What about ballot selfies that include a picture of your underage child holding a pen and marking the ballot for you? Is that okay?
Voter fraud! Check that kid's ID!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
lfisher wrote:

To clarify this point, if you allow people to take selfies it allows others to threaten (or pay) voters to vote in a certain way and require proof. The idea behind preventing people from bringing back any proof of how they voted is to prevent that sort of thing from occurring. That is why it is illegal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
lfisher wrote:

Just to be explicit, this is to protect YOU THE VOTER.

"Hey Terwox," says his unreasonable boss, "If you don't show me the selfie proving you voted for Candidate X, you're fired."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
maxo-texas wrote:
lfisher wrote:

Can you explain how? I'm not seeing it.

EDIT: oh. hmm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Report: Votes Without Social Media Proof May Not Count

Quote:
U.S.—Early reports indicate that votes not posted about on social media may not count toward the vote tally in the 2016 presidential race.

Election officials were able to confirm that voters who do not post at least one picture of themselves in a voting line, wearing an “I Voted” sticker, or at bare minimum tweet about how they voted might see their ballots tossed out as illegitimate.

“Fulfilling your civic duty is more than sharing an ‘I Voted’ sticker selfie, but it’s certainly not less,” election official Justin Gilbert said. “To that end, officials will be looking for hard proof of each individual’s vote, in the form of Instagram, Facebook, and/or Twitter photos. We advise sharing these images to every single social media account you use, just to be safe.”

“So get out there and vote, but more importantly, tell everyone about it. Loudly. All day long.”

This revelation could put a wrinkle in earlier election predictions, especially in key swing states like Florida, North Carolina, New Hampshire, and Nevada.

“Frankly, the more millennials your state has, the better,” Gilbert explained. “Since self-referential social media posts will likely be decisive this year, areas with sizable elderly populations are at a severe disadvantage. Telegrams, handwritten letters, and e-mails from AOL or Juno simply do not count.”

Oh...wow.

Juno

Goddam, I'd completely forgotten about them. Ha - and that's actually where my current Microsoft email address originates from, roughly. Couldn't find any other thing that came to mind, that didn't require a string of numbers on it, and wasn't already taken.

[Random 2 second Google search later]

HOLY SHIT THEY ARE STILL IN BUSINESS?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
chrisnd wrote:
lfisher wrote:

Voter fraud! Check that kid's ID!

You people laugh about this, but the Baltimore State's Attorney (you know, that lady that declared all of those cops guilty before trial, and then dropped the charges against the few remaining cops because the jury kept repeating "not guilty", "not guilty") - that's what she did. She selfied a picture of her less-than-18-yo daughter "casting her ballot", posted it on social media, then had it taken down a few hours later when she realized that she not only broke one law, but possibly two (by having an underage, non-registered person vote for her).

So it isn't really as funny as one might think that it is.

Regardless, phones, cameras, and other recording devices should be banned from polling locations, period! Full Stop! The End! It is not a matter of "free speech" for yourself, it is a matter of maintaining the right of privacy for everyone else around you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jmilum wrote:

It's a pretty clear content based restriction on speech which requires a strict scrutiny test. I don't think an outright ban is "narrowly tailored", nor do I see a real compelling government interest in the ban.

Huh. I see it as very narrowly tailored to a compelling government interest. The narrow tailoring is the prohibition of a single aspect of speech (photo/video) in a very specific place (a voting booth). The compelling interest is in preventing outside influence on voters. You are still allowed to say or write about who you voted for all day long. Heck you can even draw or paint a picture of it. The only thing you can't do is create a mechanical recording of the result. That's a very minor limitation to prevent something that is not a hypothetical problem but an actual historical one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Done and done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:

Then you haven't studied history.

Bring us a selfie of a vote for Trump or you're fired. Without the selfie aspect, that's what used to happen.

(Actually its more likely in an election with a small electorate rather than a national race. In a small company town this could be a real threat.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.