$15.00
$20.00
$5.00
Recommend
16 
 Thumb up
 Hide
45 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mythic Battles: Pantheon» Forums » General

Subject: Your favourite/least favourite miniatures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I was wondering what your preferences are what the mini's are concerned.
There been some stirring on the forum concerning some sculpts so please tell us what you think!

I'll start. 5 favourites and 3 least favourites.

VERY GOOD
No particular order (#1 isn't necessarily better than #5).

1. Poseidon. VERY impressive. Although I find him a bit too "dark" and see some resemblances with Davy Jones, he's still absolutely suberb. Stunning. Those tentacles! I hope you can also use him on land.
https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/14976667_555661...
2. Ares. Perhaps not very outstanding among the other 1,000 hoplitish types - but very, very well done. Great pose. Sounds fun to field such a powerhouse!
3. Echo. When I first saw he I thought she was a wild forest dryad with a long wolf tail. Well she is slightly different .. but I still absolutely love her: her pose, her expression .. although open hands would have been perfect. And before I forget: I love her stockings (on the artwork)
4. Hecate. By far the best female sculpt. Very enigmatic.
5. Oedipus. Suberbly done. Unusual pose but I like him a lot, great details!

COULD USE FIXING
JASON .. He isn't so bad but well .. he's not hard to improve!

Further .. I really dislike the magic stuff coming out of Pandora's and Medea's hands. It's almost impossible to paint that in a believable way. The sculpts are nice, though - in my opinion.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The worst: the Arachne. So boring... shake
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Davis
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait poseidon? Where do you see him? I didn't see him in the kickstarter. Though he would be the god I'm most interested in (After Artemis!).
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CloudBuilder wrote:
Wait poseidon? Where do you see him? I didn't see him in the kickstarter. Though he would be the god I'm most interested in (though I would love to see Artemis!).

Added a link to the OP .. cool

poifpoif wrote:
The worst: the Arachne. So boring... shake

Well .. where's the rest of your list?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CloudBuilder wrote:
Wait poseidon? Where do you see him? I didn't see him in the kickstarter. Though he would be the god I'm most interested in (though I would love to see Artemis!).




source: www.brueckenkopf-online.com

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't like Echo. As another commenter pointed out, she looks like she belongs in an X-Men movie, not a figure from Greek mythology.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i like Echo ,but not her clothes.


6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
AmadanNaBriona wrote:
I really don't like Echo. As another commenter pointed out, she looks like she belongs in an X-Men movie, not a figure from Greek mythology.


I like the sketch, but not so much the miniature. Oh well.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
I like Echo's sculpt. For a standing around pose it's fairly dynamic and I enjoy the facial expression. I like Medea as well. Her face looks so bloody sinister. Great job. I'm fine with the clothing choice on both sculpts.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I have to chime in with my least favorite now and it's Artemis hands down. I understand scantily clad females in fantasy and myth since it's been part of both since inception. I don't really have a problem with it in the said context and most of the women I know, I believe feel the same way. This model however, rather than having shear but somewhat tasteful clothing looks like it's purposefully trying to objectify her large breasts with the shirt pulled open in such an unnatural way. I really believe that you wouldn't find any female that doesn't feel the same way. I would feel really bad owning this model and presenting it to female players which is a shame because I really believe the industry would benefit from more women involved. I sure hope they redesign this sculpt or trash it altogether and just leave it out. That's just my two cents.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
trakes wrote:
Well I have to chime in with my least favorite now and it's Artemis hands down. I understand scantily clad females in fantasy and myth since it's been part of both since inception. I don't really have a problem with it in the said context and most of the women I know, I believe feel the same way. This model however, rather than having shear but somewhat tasteful clothing looks like it's purposefully trying to objectify her large breasts with the shirt pulled open in such an unnatural way. I really believe that you wouldn't find any female that doesn't feel the same way. I would feel really bad owning this model and presenting it to female players which is a shame because I really believe the industry would benefit from more women involved. I sure hope they redesign this sculpt or trash it altogether and just leave it out. That's just my two cents.


Well, I don't know if we would have difficulties finding women who either don't mind or enjoy the pose, since I know the women I game with either like or don't care about this sort of thing.

I'd prefer they keep it the way it is, since games with miniatures that you consider "objectified" are few and far between, but I respect your opinion.

OT: My least favorite miniature is Hermes. He's just standing there with his arms open . . . why!?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
Well, I don't know if we would have difficulties finding women who either don't mind or enjoy the pose, since I know the women I game with either like or don't care about this sort of thing.

I'd prefer they keep it the way it is, since games with miniatures that you consider "objectified" are few and far between, but I respect your opinion.

OT: My least favorite miniature is Hermes. He's just standing there with his arms open . . . why!?


Hey clock,

I'm sure there would be plenty of women that are on both sides of this issue. Some that feel offended and others that could care less.

It wasn't until I had a long conversation with a woman on the subject a while back that I really started to pay more attention to the issue and maybe the fact that I have two daughters added a lot to it as well.

The best way I can explain it would be to try and put yourself in the position women have been in. Say for year’s men have been wearing clothing that revealed and displayed our genitalia size and you were unfortunately not well endowed. You saw other men that were always getting more attention or special treatment due to their size. It would most likely make you feel pretty lousy or inferior in some way. That's a real fact that many women have to deal with. I feel like that particular models design with the shirt pulled open specifically over her breasts is purposefully trying to do that same thing. Being a dumb guy I never really thought about it but after learning and understanding how that can make some women feel, it's something I can't not consider. I think you can still design things that are revealing or sexy but not disrespectful. Anyway that's just my opinion. Everyone's entitled to their own.

I also agree with you that Hermes model is kind of boring.

One note to add. I did see someone on the KS comments offer a good suggestion if they do not alter the model. You could always use some greenstuff and adjust it to your liking.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:
Well I have to chime in with my least favorite now and it's Artemis hands down. I understand scantily clad females in fantasy and myth since it's been part of both since inception. I don't really have a problem with it in the said context and most of the women I know, I believe feel the same way. This model however, rather than having shear but somewhat tasteful clothing looks like it's purposefully trying to objectify her large breasts with the shirt pulled open in such an unnatural way.

I sure hope they redesign this sculpt or trash it altogether and just leave it out. That's just my two cents.

Couldn't agree more. She's the worst sculpt by far.

Her bland face, her hesitating pose, the silly cleavage .. I'd rather have her half naked but dynamic and fierce. 1/10.
She looks everything but Godly.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sammy
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
As I mentioned on the KS, most of the characters in this game look like they came from classic artworks. Really beautiful.

These latest women though, they look like a modern ideal of 'hot chick' - less like classical art & more like Halloween at the Playboy mansion.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:
This model however, rather than having shear but somewhat tasteful clothing looks like it's purposefully trying to objectify her large breasts with the shirt pulled open in such an unnatural way.


Main problem is that the concept art has a cleavage peek because she's running into the wind, but the sculpt has a boob keyhole now that she's standing still. Just by changing her pose and adding more visiboobility, the sculpt changes. And, of course, if you can't paint the figure well, or don't intend to paint it, what's the point? It's the artwork on the card that will be more visible during play. Sculpts aren't going to change, because Monolith wanted to move forward the game for production.

Post a tutorial with the greenstuff when you get the figure!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siel Oren
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the hate for Artemis.
Anyway my favorite and least up to now:

Favorites:
1. Artemis
2. Lycaon
3. Jason
4. Hermes
5. Amazonas



Least favorite:
1. Hephaestus. i can't celieve aphrodite's husband will be this ugly.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah the boob window on Artemis mini is wrong.Totally wrong.
The artwork is better.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there are quite a few nice minis in this ks

from the practical side, I like Ares, at least he seems to know what to do with a shield, yes I'am looking at you guys Jason, Achilles and the bunch of Hoplites, Spartans and Argonauts.

It seems you have to be the god of war or undead, the Spartoi actually don't look like a bunch of recruits still figuring out what the business end of their weapons are - they probably learned the hard way...

PS: Hermes posture looks like a kid sneaking out of his parents house after curfew.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind the Artemis mini. The stance/pose looks fine to me, she looks like she is casually shooting that bow while walking around. The clothes would be better, if they were closed, of course. It really looks like she borrowed those from her "sister" Aphrodite.

So, let's see...

I like ...

- Medusa
- Nemean Lion
- Ares
- Athena
- Spartans
- also, the guy on the bottom right in this picture (so far unrevealed)

Not too fond of ...

- Hell Hounds alternate sculpt (looks weird with all in the same pose, and highly impractical)
- Hell Judges (esp. Minos)
- Hades (strange pose)
- Jason (he looks great, but too twisted body and too narrow stance -- see above-linked picture, which shows how narrow Jason's stance is (top left))

Bye
Thanee
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
SissyBell wrote:
Least favorite:
1. Hephaestus. i can't celieve aphrodite's husband will be this ugly.



That is true to mythology.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
trakes wrote:



The best way I can explain it would be to try and put yourself in the position women have been in. Say for year’s men have been wearing clothing that revealed and displayed our genitalia size and you were unfortunately not well endowed. You saw other men that were always getting more attention or special treatment due to their size. It would most likely make you feel pretty lousy or inferior in some way. That's a real fact that many women have to deal with. I feel like that particular models design with the shirt pulled open specifically over her breasts is purposefully trying to do that same thing. Being a dumb guy I never really thought about it but after learning and understanding how that can make some women feel, it's something I can't not consider. I think you can still design things that are revealing or sexy but not disrespectful. Anyway that's just my opinion. Everyone's entitled to their own.

I also agree with you that Hermes model is kind of boring.

One note to add. I did see someone on the KS comments offer a good suggestion if they do not alter the model. You could always use some greenstuff and adjust it to your liking.


Here is the problem, trakes, everything you just said can be applied to men. You say women with large breasts get special treatment, well, men with muscles who are attractive get special treatment. This is a "real fact that many" men "have to deal with". Attractive men typically get treated better. There are a wide range of studies that show that attractive people experience a wide variety of benefits in society when it comes to how other people interact with them.

I'm sure you can acknowledge the fact that there are men out there who see muscular miniatures and then look at their own bodies and know that they can't achieve that look. I'm sure there are men out there who see how much women love abs and with sadness accept the fact that they either lack the willpower to lower their body fat percentage or accept the fact that they have bad genetics. I'm sure there are men out there who saw that Tongan flag bearer and how the media essentially "objectified" him and swooned over him and thought how they could never look like him! But here is the thing: most men know that the women who "objectified" him were not bad people. They knew the women that loved his body didn't necessarily only want his body. Nobody expects women to look like the miniatures in board games, just as nobody expects men to look like the miniatures in board games. They are hyper stylized. They are an extreme exaggeration of a commonly accepted ideal body type. Christ, if people actually wanted what was represented as sexy in games and movies everyone at a board game convention would die alone.

I accept these facts and I roll with it. They don't phase me. So, when I hear someone suggest that women everywhere are being hurt by a board game I ask myself something: Am I hurt by board games? The answer is almost always "no". So, if I'm not hurt by a board game why would I expect women to be hurt by a board game? Women are just as strong and independent as myself. Surely women, like myself, can look at a board game and see it's just a game and these "sexy" miniatures are simply a trope within the fantasy genre. Surely these women, like myself, understand that there are those who enjoy this trope.

I know you mean well. I do. I know you actually care about the feelings of others and you have no nefarious goal. But to me this idea that women are frail flowers who are emotionally impacted by hyper stylized gaming avatars is somewhat sexist.

I know these conversations always prove pointless. No matter what angle I approach these issues, I can't seem to come to any common ground. I try it from an artist's freedom perspective. I try a gender reversal strategy. I try it from a logical view that emphasizes the fact that these games have been and always will be few and far between. I use a capitalist viewpoint and suggest the market should dictate what people do and do not want. I use science to prove that men and women have different tastes that are a reflection of their biology. Nothing works. I'd wager it's because I can never reach people who believe they are doing something honorable and virtuous.

I'll leave it at that, less this topic end up in RSP (which I'm sure the OP doesn't want).
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Davis
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
trakes wrote:
Well I have to chime in with my least favorite now and it's Artemis hands down. I understand scantily clad females in fantasy and myth since it's been part of both since inception. I don't really have a problem with it in the said context and most of the women I know, I believe feel the same way. This model however, rather than having shear but somewhat tasteful clothing looks like it's purposefully trying to objectify her large breasts with the shirt pulled open in such an unnatural way.

I sure hope they redesign this sculpt or trash it altogether and just leave it out. That's just my two cents.

Couldn't agree more. She's the worst sculpt by far.

Her bland face, her hesitating pose, the silly cleavage .. I'd rather have her half naked but dynamic and fierce. 1/10.
She looks everything but Godly.


Look at the latest update! Basically the mold will be tweaked as the sculpter had only 3D rendered it so far. I do tend to agree with you, but I do think they can make her tunic beautiful (if not impossibly splayed open), which it sounds like they are going to do.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm normally against the PC police and their sensitivity to any form of female sexuality (while male sexuality is treated as acceptable). However, in the case of Artemis, the way her dress is opened looks like someone is undressing her. It just doesn't fit and takes away from the character and her appearance. So, I am glad they're redoing it. I do hope they make her expressions a bit more fierce and threatening too.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, her clothes really could use some work.

More like Athena's tunic would be great.

They still got plenty models where it would fit better, like Aphrodite and more of the Nymphs.

Bye
Thanee
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
I predict every new female character is now going to provoke another round of arguing about boobs.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.