Betrayal at House on the Hill» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dog and the book rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pendarric X
msg tools
mbmb
Hi,

Can the Dog be used to put the book in the furnace/chasm? A particular scenario required 'a point of movement' to be spent placing the book in the furnace/chasm.

The dog cannot cross the chasm since it has special text, but entering the room and throwing the book into the chasm may be OK... either way I was 5 spaces away from the furnace so with 6 spaces of movement the dog would have been able to burn the book and win us the game.

Out of interest, are you considered to be carrying the dog until you use him? So I move 4 spaces, and the dog can then move 6 spaces from where I end up, also returning as part of his action (effectively having 12 movement, plus yours, and in which case what is the point in having a dog token?).

Another quick question - can I use the idol (that takes 1 sanity but grants 3 dice to the check) even though it would take my last sanity (after the betrayal, or use it infinitely before the betrayal since you can't die)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about the others, but the dog moves on its own, completely separate from your movement. It does not move with you if/when you move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
IdleHacker wrote:
Not sure about the others, but the dog moves on its own, completely separate from your movement. It does not move with you if/when you move.

Based on what part of the rules did you deduct this?

Based on the card the dog is a companion, and will always stay with you, and move with you, just like the girl and the mad man. In addition the dog has a special power (move up to 6 spaces to drop/fetch items, and move back again).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh whoops, every time I have read that card, I missed the words "and then return." Without those words, it interprets differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pendarric X
msg tools
mbmb
Right we got that bit right that you 'carry' the dog like an item, and that you can use it's ability to retrieve an object for you (and then carry on moving).

However the scenario in question said that it was a 'point of movement' to destroy the book. It did not say an explorer's movement, or as the explorer's action. So could the dog use one of it's movement points ("move up to 6 spaces" - "and then return") or not?

Now a pocket size dog that you can carry may have struggled with the furnace door, but should not have had issue dropping the book into a chasm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Kenny Dorham || Trompeta Toccata || Whistle Stop || Una Mas
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pendarric wrote:
Right we got that bit right that you 'carry' the dog like an item, and that you can use it's ability to retrieve an object for you (and then carry on moving).

However the scenario in question said that it was a 'point of movement' to destroy the book. It did not say an explorer's movement, or as the explorer's action. So could the dog use one of it's movement points ("move up to 6 spaces" - "and then return") or not?

Now a pocket size dog that you can carry may have struggled with the furnace door, but should not have had issue dropping the book into a chasm...

I think it would make the most sense if it were an action that cost one point of the explorer's movement.
The dog can fetch and carry, but he isn't Rin Tin Tin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would rule that the dog could indeed carry the book to the chasm, but he would drop it on the ledge, not into the chasm, it's not that clever.

And don't think of the dog as an item you are carrying. It's a companion that moves on it's own along your explorer. After all it specifically states that it cant be stolen from you, so it's not an item as such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.