7 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Decks on the board are USELESS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Di Nardo
msg tools
mbmbmb
Whats the utility of the space for objective card, if no more cards can be drawn in the game? They just stay there without be picked. i think is just something cool to see (wow, sealed letters-like, yeah, but...wtf), but embarassingly useless. You can avoid to put them there, like having ALL the encounter cards, that need just ELEVEN of them, not all (just like factory cards that are put back in the box). Considering you even put the used one one the bottom of the deck, lol, just discard then, you wont see those card again!

I know is something just not so important, but i am meticolous, and i dont like this thing AT ALL. Its anti-scenic. I would like to paint over that objective-space, lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Campbell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Growing old is mandatory but growing UP is optional!
badge
Tabletop Game News, Reviews, Sales, Design and Publishing. Visit us at www.iwillnevergrowup.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Future expansion-proofing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NeveValkoinen wrote:
Whats the utility of the space for objective card, if no more cards can be drawn in the game? They just stay there without be picked. i think is just something cool to see (wow, sealed letters-like, yeah, but...wtf), but embarassingly useless.

Jamey's stated he wanted to leave the design space open to him for future factions and encounter cards that lets you draw from it (Which didn't materialize in Invaders From Afar, ah well)

Quote:
You can avoid to put them there, like having ALL the encounter cards, that need just ELEVEN of them, not all (just like factory cards that are put back in the box).

Would be extra setup time for no gain in dealing out 11 encounter cards after shuffling and returning the rest to the box (whereas with the factory cards you've got the reward of First Dibs for the first person to the factory, which would be clunkier if you put all of them on the board)

Quote:
Considering you even put the used one one the bottom of the deck, lol, just discard then, you wont see those card again!

The fact you only use 11 of the cards allows you to save table space by putting them under the deck rather than discarding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are enough setup steps already in Scythe that I didn't view it a good idea to also ask players to carefully count out a certain number of encounter cards.

Most importantly, though, is as James wisely pointed out: By having a place for the decks on the board and allowing them to be full decks gives us flexibility to create more interactions with those decks in future expansions without needing to change the rules.

Also, I really like the art Jakub made for the back of the cards--I think it looks good on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jawby
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FUTURE EXPANSIONS!!!!! WOOT!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Di Nardo
msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow! I didn't thought that would be more expansion other than Invaders from afar :O that's a good news (more expansion, the Scythe videogames Iron Harvest....its a good day today <3 i just need that f***ing Rozalski artbook! >.<

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kara S
United States
Palmer
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I deal out the cards, put the rest away in the box, and use the space on the board for discarding. *shrugs* Doesn't bother me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.