Popular Tags: [View All]
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just curious as to the what the historical significance of the "mandated offensive" phase is -- what real world counterpart it's meant to emulate within the game. Or maybe it's just a game mechanic meant to move things along?

-E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion -both.

You want to win the game. Maybe by dragging and defending. In real life politicians want to end the war fast - as they have promised the people. You want to be safe in trenches, but the politicians are impatient and want you to act now. Home before Christmas.

I imagine a kind of political conference in the war department -involving all the allied countries and they may come up with a general order of offensive that may not suit you as a Field Marshall. Not following order (stupid or not) and you loose VP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oystein has it right: the politicians order you to make an attack in a certain sector...

Then of course the same politicians order you not to make the attack (with the Lloyd George card). Apparently politicians weren't any smarter back then than they are now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Nacinovic
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your opinion is correct. You should also consider that the concept of fighting a war changed during and after WWI. Before WWI war in Europe wasn't associated with tremendous and enduring slaughter and it took a lot of in vain attacks to realise that a defender with a good machine gun has the advantage to charging attackers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
EppoKleppo wrote:
Before WWI war in Europe wasn't associated with tremendous and enduring slaughter

Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that the extended period of relative peace in Europe before WWI (other than in the Balkans) caused people to forget that war was associated with tremendous and enduring slaughter. I believe people were sick of war at the end of the Napoleonic Wars, and at other periods earlier in history. We need to keep carefully in mind how terrible war is during relatively peaceful periods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Nacinovic
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that the extended period of relative peace in Europe before WWI (other than in the Balkans) caused people to forget that war was associated with tremendous and enduring slaughter. I believe people were sick of war at the end of the Napoleonic Wars, and at other periods earlier in history. We need to keep carefully in mind how terrible war is during relatively peaceful periods.

Of course you're right Eric. I meant that the weapons which were used and the way they were used, caused this war to be the first "industrial" war. I focussed more on the way the armies clashed. You're absolutely right that war is terrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls