Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've been mulling over yet another movement variant, not sure if anything like this has been discussed already, and there are a few options that I can't quite decide on.

Instead of playing turn by turn, the game is played in rounds.

Have as many movement dice as there are players, you will also need spare dice for combat rolls.

- At the start of a round roll all the movement dice.
- In turn order, each player takes a dice from the pool and moves as usual.

When all players have had a turn, the round ends and all dice are re-rolled.

Determining the turn order can be done in a few ways, I haven't play tested which is best...
1. Have a single first player marker and players select from the dice pool clockwise.
...Each round the first player marker moves one player clockwise
...or it stays where it is. A player can buy the first player marker by spending fate (perhaps gold too?) when on certain spaces. This could be as simple as just their starting space (making it harder to regain if you get to the middle region) or alternatively certain special spaces e.g. Chapel, Graveyard, Mystic, Warlock's Cave etc.
2. Have a turn order track. Randomly select the turn order at the start of the game. Players can spend a fate or gold to move to the front of the track and get an earlier pick of the movement pool.

Cards or abilities that require multiple movement dice to be rolled (e.g. Riding Horse or Amazon character), you select the first dice from the pool, and then roll randomly for the second. Other abilities such as adding 1 to the movement you can do as normal after you select your dice from the pool.

For option 2, my main concern is that this will hugely benefit those that are first in the turn order or evil characters as they can gain fate via the graveyard more easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Wildstar
msg tools
The dice movement pool is a pretty cool idea. I'd use point 1 to determine player order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just pass 1st player around the table. It's cleaner and easier. Also I would add an extra die to the total amount rolled each turn, so the last player still gets two dice to choose from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shakespeare William
msg tools
What a nice idea.
And it seems to fit exactly with the material due to fact there is 6 dices on the box.
For choosing the first player turn i'll say the first player is the last player of the preceding round.So it is very simple to track (no marker or other needed, if you have only one dice you remember it easily) So you have a turn with no choice and directly after the turn with the more choice and play 2 times.

I don't think i will add any extra dice. For example you can choose a specific dice to let your opponent with a dice which not fit at all with its objectives (Yes it may be a source of discussion/ negotiation / cry... and it is fun).

The fact is that the horse is more powerful because you already now the result of one dice before choosing to use or not your horse but that's life.

Perhaps you can roll the 6 dices for 2, 3 and 6 players (it increase the tactical choices for 2 and 3 players because you have the visibility of one turn our two in advance). For 4 and 5 five players the number of dices can be rolled, there is enough people around the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks guys.

Another thing - you can still use dark fate to make someone reroll a dice after its been picked or light fate to reroll a dice you've had forced on you.

What may be interesting is coming up with a mechanism for choosing the turn order to aid as a catchup mechanic (e.g. lowest total strength+craft goes first). But I think any such system will just confuse/slow things down, especially when people have the same amount so you need to keep track of who leveled up last etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice variant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba Sienczyk
Poland
flag msg tools
new user
The idea is very cool. As for the roll order, here's a concept:

- there are 4 players;
- there are 5 dices;
- player 1 rolls dice, having 5 options to choose from;
- player 2 has 4 options to choose from;
- player 3 has 3 options to choose from;
- player 2 has 2 options to choose from;
- player 1 has 1 option to choose from;
- player 2 rolls dice.

This way:
- the perk of having plenty movement options is next turn followed by having only one option available;
- the perk of having plenty movement options is passed clockwise - plain and fair;
- the roll order is extremely simple to follow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
gordonfreemanjr wrote:

- there are 4 players;
- there are 5 dices;
- player 2 has 2 options to choose from;
- player 2 rolls dice.

So player 4 is skipped when P1 rolls? Presumably P1 is then skipped when P2 rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stomski wrote:
gordonfreemanjr wrote:

- there are 4 players;
- there are 5 dices;
- player 4 has 2 options to choose from;
- player 2 rolls dice.

So player 4 is skipped when P1 rolls? Presumably P1 is then skipped when P2 rolls.

It's called a "typo".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:
It's called a "typo".

I suspect so too, but you never can be sure with all the wacky variants people come up with sometimes!

If so, seems same as above just the extra die is used to restrict the first player to no choice on their next move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stomski wrote:
If so, seems same as above just the extra die is used to restrict the first player to no choice on their next move.

It also more naturally passes 'priority' around the table.
No need for markers, or adding a way to acquire first player status.

I do see potential issues with things like 'skipped turns', and 'non die movement'.
Does everyone take a die when it would be their turn, regardless of ability to use it? OR do you just accept the randomness, and let the dice fall where they may?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:
I do see potential issues with things like 'skipped turns', and 'non die movement'.
Does everyone take a die when it would be their turn, regardless of ability to use it? OR do you just accept the randomness, and let the dice fall where they may?

Part of the reason for this variant was to allow some strategy in blocking opponents from getting to certain places. With this in mind, I would say players still take a die in order, regardless of whether they are using the die for movement.

Would blocking play too big a part though? I can see some hilarious situations where someone gets blocked getting to the space they want and then when they finally get to be P1 and pick from all the dice, the number they want still doesn't show up. But it's these situations which us Talisman fans love and all other board gamers hate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.