Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Joshua Hysong
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I am looking for a game or possibly wargame that I could play in my group of friends. Right now we frequent Heroscape and Twilight Imperium from time to time.

There are a few problems with these though that we don't like.

1. Heroscape has just a bit too much randomness and not at all portable.

2. Twilight Imperium takes forever and a day to play.

What I am looking for is a game that is good for at least 2 players up to maybe 6 with not a lot of randomness and takes maybe no more than and hour or two. Almost like chess but for more than 2 players and with the ability to be moved from house to house really easily.

This game would not have to be a wargame neccessarily but that would go over a bit better. I like the look of Battlelore and have been thinking of getting that but it seems like it would take quite an investment to get to play with more than 2 people. Also I am a bit worried that it may turn into heroscape with having to buy all the expansions and new races etc.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might check out Antike; it's not exactly light, but it's not that difficult to grasp either. It's scales 2 to 6, no randomness, and can usually be finished within a couple of hours once you get acclimated to the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hysong
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I have also been looking at Nexus Ops.

Do you guys think this would fit the bill of my group?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
STOCKPORT
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Ok I know you want it for more than two players but if we stick to two players then:

Command and Colors Ancients - Lots of scenarios without any need to buy the expansion, dead simple (for a wargame), lots of replay value, Easy to set up and quick to play - Only caution, take your time applying the stickers.

For more than two how about:

Vinci - Again dead simple (more of a Euro game than a wargame) takes about two to three hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently gotten into Wings of War. I think it would fit the bill nicely for your group. It has a wargame theme, but is not as tedious as Twilight Imperium. The card-driven movement is definetely novel...and the game just plays tight and simple...it's fun! Is there randomness? Sure...in the damage-taking mechanism, but then again...almost any game has some element of randomness.

I would suggest at least two game sets for more than 2 players....but seeing as there are three different starters(Famous Aces, Watch Your Back and Burning Drachens) that is easy.

The game is not too expensive either...a nice bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
Khanbob42 wrote:

no lots randomness here, but it is a good light wargame. I would agree antike is certainly not random and might be good one of the issues is that randomness generally helps to make the game lighter, like C&C Ancients, Heroscape, WIngs of War etc.... You could look at shogun 3-5 player or war of the ring (2 player) Neither of these are particularly light though. Twilight Struggle is an excellent 2 player with less randomness than most of those games. Struggle of Empire might fit the bill 3-7 players, but it takes about 3-4 hours to play and might be a bit heavy.

I'm not familiar with too many light games that don't have much luck, but others might be able to help you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Khanbob42 wrote:
What I am looking for is a game that is good for at least 2 players up to maybe 6 with not a lot of randomness and takes maybe no more than and hour or two. Almost like chess but for more than 2 players and with the ability to be moved from house to house really easily.

Given what you're looking for, I second the suggestion of Vinci. I don't care for the game myself, but it meets all your requirements and is quite well regarded here. It's definitely got a bit of a chess feel, thanks to the non-random combat and supports up to 6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arif ally
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battletech
Struggle of Empires
BattleLore
Axis & Allies
Shogun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vinci or Antike sounds like your game. Vinci is online at http://ludagora.net/ if you want to give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vinci, for sure.

A Game of Thrones takes about 3 hours, but I've never played it with 2.

Friedrich is a great game, too, but will take over an hour as well.

I think that it's hard to find a multiplayer wargame that can be played in an hour.

Of course, you can put a time limit on AGOT, and what that would do is get people commited to wanting to set aside time to play to completion the next time you get together!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check out Viktory II. It is a fine little wargame that scales well from 2-6. Your first game may take more than the 60 minutes claimed for the game, but once you get into the swing of things, it goes by pretty quickly. The battles are decided by dice and the map is discovered during play (different every game), but those are the only elements of luck in it. There aren't too many wargames without some luck in them, as a matter of fact, the only one I can think of without luck is the old Yaquinto game, Battle: The Game of Generals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis and Allies
Samurai Swords:out of print but a greeeeAAAT game and not too hard to find
Wings of War
Tide of Iron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
battlelore is good, quick, fun but it is really only for 2 players. So for many players you would need at least 2 sets.

Vinci is reasonably quick but I found it too dry. You end up calculating and it does not feel like a war.

Struggle of empires and its sister game conquest of the empire are much more like war yet have a bit of a euro feeling. They are meant for multiplayer but might be playable. The conquest of empire is a bit simpler and faster. More players is longer (3 hours or more for 6 players) but faster for 2.

a game of thrones is not playable at two (though there might be a 2 player variant somewhere). I find it a really good game. It has elements of the simultaneous movement of the game diplomacy. But again it is a 2 to 3 hour game.

THe length of a game depends on the discipline of your group. If your group is fairly silent and concentrates and plans their moves ahead of time then a game will play fast. If your group is chatty, distracted and waits for their turn to think about what to do then the game can take twice as long.

Axis and allies is worth looking into. It is an older game but reasonably playable.

Shogun (the new one) is interesting. It features many simultaneous actions which saves time. THe tower is really neat. But you don't get to fight enough. Again 3 hours.

THe problem with lots of players is that it requires lots of time.

Eurogames are faster of course. COnsider El Grande (2 to 5 players). I like it. Or Tigris and Euphrates. A real brain burner.(2 to 4 players)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Khanbob42 wrote:

A great choice, but only for up to 4 players. Antike, Imperial, VIKTORY II and Mare Nostrum are my other recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Twister might work well for you. The base game plays 2, and there's a separate 3-4 player expansion. (That's where it caps out, though.)

I'll also add my vote for Antike -- it's a great game with minimal luck and plays 2-6. The official playing time is 120 minutes, but if everybody pays attention and thinks between turns it shouldn't take that long.

Other games you might enjoy:

Tigris and Euphrates (2-4, 90 minutes)
Age of Steam (3-5, 120 minutes for the base game) - there are also a gazillion expansion maps which change number of players and play time
Friedrich (3-4, 210 minutes) - though I don't remember our first game taking anywhere near that long

I know that those are longer than your suggested hour, but they're well worth the time investment -- and they're all WAY shorter than TI!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt La Botz
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Viktory!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Phillip. Vicktory II is a great game for 2 to 6 players....and I think Pete is workinf on an expansion for up to 8 players! The game is VERY easy to learn and teach and great fun to play....not a brain burner in rules...but can be in your decision making!!!laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a comment on Nexus Ops. It is quite random, lots of dice to roll. You can change the odds in your favour by using the troops on the right type of terrain, and there are event cards to help you, but in the end you just might loose to unlucky dice rolls. Good game, but pretty random.

Antike might be your thing. I thought it was very dry, but I want random, you don´t, and that's why I think it might appeal to you. Several of my friends really enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GameBear
msg tools
Buy Nexus Ops. Right now.

Nexus Ops only costs $15 (including shipping!). While there is certainly some randomness (as with all dicefest games), it plays in an hour, accomodates up to 4, is much more portable than Heroscape.. and ONLY COSTS 15 DOLLARS.

Nexus Ops is a good game, and the price makes it an easy choice. You can always get one of the other recommended games later if Nexus Ops doesn't work out.

Oh, and while you're at it, pick up Vegas Showdown for an extra $11. Not the same type of game at all, but nothing wrong with branching out. Accomodates 3-5, plays in 60-90 minutes. Two good games for $26 total - hard to beat.

(Sold by eToys through Amazon.com)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameBear wrote:
Buy Nexus Ops. Right now.

Nexus Ops only costs $15 (including shipping!). While there is certainly some randomness (as with all dicefest games), it plays in an hour, accomodates up to 4, is much more portable than Heroscape.. and ONLY COSTS 15 DOLLARS.

Nexus Ops is a good game, and the price makes it an easy choice. You can always get one of the other recommended games later if Nexus Ops doesn't work out.

Oh, and while you're at it, pick up Vegas Showdown for an extra $11. Not the same type of game at all, but nothing wrong with branching out. Accomodates 3-5, plays in 60-90 minutes. Two good games for $26 total - hard to beat.

(Sold by eToys through Amazon.com)
I was just about the type this exact same message, almost verbatim.

Nexus Ops and Vegas Showdown are dirt cheap right now, and great games that sound like they would fit very nicely into a group that likes Heroscape and wants something more strategic.
Heck, you can buy 2 copies of Nexus Ops for $21.98 and try out the 8-player variant if you like. But it scales very, very well from 2 to 3 to 4 players (so does Vegas Showdown, from 3-5).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also check out Fortress America. It's out of print, but it was the best of the Gamemaster series (included A&A and others). Good for up to four players, playing time is probably under three hours once you know what you're doing. Dice rolling, yes, but there's enough to make the probabilities manageable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hysong
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I went out to my FLGS and picked up Nexus Ops for $20.

It is amazing! So far absolutely perfect for my group. It is a bit dicey but with the way combat works and the difference between units good strategy can almost always overcome the randomness.

It is a bit light for my tastes though so I am thinking of picking up C&C:A or Battlelore. Just trying to decide between those two now.

Thanks for all your suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls