Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Ficek
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror was the first game I bought when I got into board gaming. Its that nostalgic thing sitting on my shelf that I have great memories around.

So, I have all but three expansions (Black Goat, Lurker, Kingsport). This WAS pretty much my favorite game ever. But... I haven't played in almost two years now. And as it sits, I wonder... I'd love to have the $100 to buy something that actually hits the table, and... would I regret selling it?

Why have I come to this situation? Well, multiple reasons:

ITS LITTLE BROTHER

Eldritch Horror. I know this is not unique to me, but Eldritch Horror is just easier to get on the table. The streamlined nature is much more enjoyed by my gaming group, it has such variety now with all of the expansions (I own all of them), it doesn't get super bloated because of the modular nature of the AOOs and the preludes. Maybe I'm just misremembering, but the thought of setting up Arkham is more intimidating vs. setting up Eldritch.

Now, would I say I like Eldritch more than Arkham? I really don't know. The feel of Arkham is awesome and its much more of a tactical game than Eldritch in my opinion. I can't get over how great it was when I had an investigator stuck in a location and trying to figure out the best way to get out as monsters hovered on the streets outside. It is more thematic in the way that you are in one very isolated area and I like that. But the experience of Eldritch has a "cleaner" feel and is less fiddly. The mythos deck creation, for example, is such a big difference from the hugely random encounters you'll find in the Arkham mythos deck vs. a more balanced approach in Eldritch.

I could go on, but I've played Eldritch probably 8-10 times in the last year and Arkham zero.

SOLO GAMING EVOLVED

I found The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game about 12 months ago. It has taken up most of my solo gaming as its, well... just awesome. Two-handed deck construction, a huge variety of objectives/missions/heros.... I now find myself wanting to be a completionist with this game and I'm only about halfway there. I play this 2-3 times a month easy and hours a month creating decks online.

IMPERIAL ASSAULT

And now, my main gaming group and I play Imperial Assault once a month. I have limited time to actually play with my friends and this being at least half of my time playing games with my friends means even less opportunity.

ARKHAM HORROR: THE CARD GAME

I couldn't be more excited for this game. I'm going to want to buy every expansion that comes out.

So..... if I sold Arkham Horror, based on all of this, do you think I'd be upset in a year or two? It isn't hitting the table now anyway...

Just wondering if others are having this dilemma. Thanks in advance all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
No such compulsion here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dodge
United States
Highland
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sell?!? I finally just bought a copy along with the Dunwich Horror expansion last week. I'm a little behind. But I have the LOTR Card Game you mentioned and LOVE it! Very difficult but very fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nez477 wrote:

ITS LITTLE BROTHER

Eldritch Horror. I know this is not unique to me, but Eldritch Horror is just easier to get on the table. The streamlined nature is much more enjoyed by my gaming group, it has such variety now with all of the expansions (I own all of them), it doesn't get super bloated because of the modular nature of the AOOs and the preludes. Maybe I'm just misremembering, but the thought of setting up Arkham is more intimidating vs. setting up Eldritch.

I could go on, but I've played Eldritch probably 8-10 times in the last year and Arkham zero.

If you switch Arkham and Eldrich, you have my view. I finally broke EH back out after not playing it for over a year and came away with the feeling that it was much more fiddly, took longer to setup, and was generally less fun than AH. And now I'm wresting with selling it because I can't ever imagine a time where I'd rather play it than arkham.

Meanwhile, I've played arkham about every other week this since I bought it.

I really do wonder if many people who have tried both games came to EH after they had more experience with complex board games and the first impression was a lasting one. And if they had been published in the reverse order if people would be calling AH the 2.0 of EH.

So, no, I'm not struggling with selling my copy. But you're not me and a game not played it just taking up space. I'd suggest you play it one more time, maybe even solo since you're into that now, and if you come away bored/frustrated/wishing you had played EH, then yeah, find it a good home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a beautiful mess of a game. Certainly I would rarely recommend it over others in this modern day and age, but my annual games of it, all expansions, custom investigator holders, all the minis, so many custom bits... it's an epic game experience that few other games come close too.

I'll never sell mine. But equally I suspect if it's not a game you enjoy, you should sell it (as they'll always be a cheap-ish copy to buy back if you regret in the future - for every one of me, I'm sure there are several people who bought into it, and then decided they weren't / never spent the time to get into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Completed the collection with all the expansions last year and love it. Not selling here. I haven't played Eldritch Horror but I'm more a fan of the claustrophobic atmosphere of a small town full of madness and horror then globe trotting on a map of the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't think you'll ever play it again, then go ahead and sell it. But if you do think there's a realistic possibility that you would play it again, I'd say keep it.
Maybe it won't win out in the regular weekly boardgaming group when Eldritch Horror is an option, but it still makes for a great game for special ocassions when you plan to play it ahead of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd never consider selling it so wouldn't know how difficult it is. EH and AH scratch very different itches for us so we keep and play both regularly. I'd say try playing Arkham solo and see how well you like or dislike it, then make your decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No way!. Arkham is awesome!. If you have a decent storage solution the game really is not that bad to set up and I find the rules pretty intuitive now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never getting rid. Ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Durante
Canada
Etobicoke
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope.. not selling here either. Played Arkham with others a few times but it never clicked with anyone but me. Which is fine. I bust it out when I get a chance and have a grand ol' time playing solo... even if I have to play it over a couple days (I have that luxury of leaving sprawling games out for days at a time). I can't part with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Wilkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand where you're coming from. Arkham Horror was my first game as well, and my undisputed favorite for a long while. But Eldritch Horror, with it's streamlined play, kinda replaced it so that I was only playing Arkham 3 or 4 times a year. And now, Mansions Of Madness 2e with it's five-minute set-up has kinda replaced Eldritch.

Even though I am becoming an increasingly lazy player I will never part with Arkham Horror. Not just for sentimental reasons, but because it is still a glorious mess to dive into on the rare occasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Probst
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Why on Earth would I want to sell one of the best boardgames I've ever played?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smith
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't sell it. Nothing like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:

I really do wonder if many people who have tried both games came to EH after they had more experience with complex board games and the first impression was a lasting one. And if they had been published in the reverse order if people would be calling AH the 2.0 of EH.

This is 100% right.

I came to Arkham late but love it. I played EH once and think its just as "fiddly" to setup and teach and play as Arkham. The only reason people claim its easier and more streamlined is because they have more experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Binder
Brazil
Curitiba
PR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never! I also like Eldritch, Elder and Mansions (both 1st and 2nd). I will buy Arkham Horror LCG. But I will not sell my favorite game, ever. Also, I am in the process of pimping it to increase it's visual appeal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the exact same dilemma. AH hasn't been out in an age. I disagree that EH is just as fiddly (stat changes, anyone?) - but actually, I suspect AHtLCG will mean EH doesn't get much table time either.

But - and it's a big but - AH was my first "new" BG, so getting rid of it, even just on the nostalgia front, doesn't seem likely any time soon, tbh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Hammons
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah - and ended up selling it for like $10. Then kind of regretted it. Then played it again. Then realized while it was fun we played Eldritch 99% of the time instead. Plus a friend owned it so we can still play it when/if we want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two copies, so I can have two different expansion mixes ready to go.

Not selling either one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
14cross wrote:
Sell?!? I finally just bought a copy along with the Dunwich Horror expansion last week. I'm a little behind. But I have the LOTR Card Game you mentioned and LOVE it! Very difficult but very fun.

Just bought my first expansion, Dunwich Horror, too. And this after owning AH for over 7 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantomwhale wrote:
It's a beautiful mess of a game.

This is the same feeling I got when I played my first strategy board game, Kingmaker, in the early 80s. And part of it is that glorious mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabrielle
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I would not sell it either. It's one of my favorite games. I play it once a month, at least. I love to play it solo, controling one to three investigators. I separated all cards by decks and I put all tokens in a plastic box with dividers from the dollar store; it helped a lot to reduce the set-up/take down time.

But your situation seems different, and I don't feel I could give you an advice apart from what somebody else mentionned: try to solo it, see if you still like it, and if you can picture yourself playing it a few times per year. Then, I guess, you'll have your answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, still love the game. Looked at Eldritch Horror, but went with Fortune and Glory instead, since it felt similar in play, but I liked the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, not me, and I can only echo the thoughts mentioned previously. When it first came out I thought EH was a breath of fresh air. Now, many expansions later, I find it to be a drag, and I truthfully have no desire to dust it off. I still look forward to every game of AH, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McChrisface
United Kingdom
Cropwell Bishop
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm being buried with my copy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.