Legends Untold» Forums » News

Subject: Quick update rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kev Young
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Another review in guys, Polyhedron Collider will post soon I don't want to steal their thunder.

We should have another one from Iain McAllister at The Giant Brain by the end of the week.

The KS page is taking shape, Scott has started to drop in the graphic design sections for us to fit the text around.

Components: Hugh tried out some double poker size Locations with our gaming buddies yesterday and they went down very well. So cost permitting we are going to try and make this happen for you all as requested.

Rules, Steve has given us some more things we can improve upon. Mostly around clarity of explanation.

It does give us food for though on the depth of this game. We are clearly seeing some people loving the depth of the game and some people finding it too much.

My challenge is where to draw that line. We could rip out some stuff to make it easier to pick up but I suspect some of you would not like that.

Please respond and let me know, as we are trying to figure it out!

On a final note, Hugh has been really busy working on a special surprise for you all on the Kickstarter. No spoilers yet but I think you will be happy bunnies!

Cheers

Kev

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple answer: Make the game you want to make! You can't please everyone so don't try.

Will you be previewing the Kickstarter page before it goes live for suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Young
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Stick to the vision right?

Yes on the preview stage that is the plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having depth for a cave dweller seems like a must, no ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Young
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Ha ha very nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bennett
United Kingdom
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd hate to see the depth lost at the expense of time and patience. Go with your vision, everything I've seen so far has been great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be a shame to cut down the depth. There is a shortage on small games with great depth. As long as you make it so the icons, key words, etc are clear (maybe with reference), then that mitigates some complexity, but keeps depth.

I would love for a KS preview as well. Mostly, if there is any early bird, then I want to know before it starts. I am not asking for/expecting any early bird, I just do not want to miss out, just in case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's your game. Go with what you feel is right. Too many cooks etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
msg tools
mb
I echo what Ryan Byrd said. That is one of the factors that drew me to this game. Keep it as you envisioned it.
Just need to make the rulebook really clear and the symbols and then all should be good hopefully.
I am also hoping to get in on the Early Bird for a change always seem to miss out on them so don't want to miss out on this one if that does happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Crago
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like what I see of it on the various reviews. It is hard to really hit a spot that will satisfy everyone so keep the course I'd say and as long as the rules and such are clear enough it will go over well for those who are looking for something like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depth does not have to equal complex rules. The depth should come from the wealth of options and viable strategies, not from having 100 nitpicky little rules and exceptions to remember IMO.

If the depth in game mechanics require wordy explanations then so be it. But cleaning up the rulebook to be an easier read is never a bad thing.

Consistency and common-sensibility of iconography and clear graphic design can also contribute to a smooth-playing game despite the depth of play.

And if possible include player aids to help players keep track of what they should and could be doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Underwood
msg tools
I personally love the current level of depth that I have seen so far. For me it is an important aspect of the game. Please continue as you are.

Ps. I love the current artwork!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Young
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Shane for those words, actually very comforting!

OK so you are the fifth person to say to me today keep the depth so that is what we are going to do. We know this means we may lose some of the market but we are committed to making something really deep with lots of replay value and immersion and we want to bring you guys with us on the journey every step of the way.

On the artwork front - thanks. It is subjective and I do get that but peoples opinions are appreciated.

If we fund we were going to commission the new pieces that are required immediately and the plan would be to do this via our existing artist network.

So of course if people really don't like that art we need to know that and find more artists, which adds a lot of time to the process.

Apologies for brevity of response. Working on something really exciting I want to share with you guys tomorrow hopefully maybe Saturday.

Also spoke to Ricky on Twitter about the play through but (as I thought) he just said coming soon - no spoilers!

Cheers

Kev

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kellett
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say keep the depth. There are loads of games that are easy to pick up and play, it's great to have things that challenge, require thought, learning and even perseverance.

I've just picked up Perdition's Mouth: Abyssal Rift and lost 5 out of the 6 plays so far, it's brutally hard, but learning how the characters need to work together and coming up with strategies is keeping us excited and the wins will be all the sweeter for the effort put in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Young
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Actually Paul you raise a very interesting point about permadeath and peoples preference for that.

At present we have it so that if you drain all your talents then your Occupation card you fall unconscious and must rest. If the whole Party falls unconscious then you lose the Scenario horribly. Now you could treat this as Permadeath but we figured that if you are say Journeyman 5 (so that would be 8 Novice, 12 Apprentice and 5 Journeyman Scenarios in) then you would probably be upset by this!

Our solution is to offer a Level down penalty - you lose two levels rather than permadeath.

Interested to hear peoples thoughts on this and just how brutal you like your brutal out there!

Kev

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nessie76 wrote:
Our solution is to offer a Level down penalty - you lose two levels rather than permadeath.

Interested to hear peoples thoughts on this and just how brutal you like your brutal out there!

Kev

I like your solution especially if you can reach high levels with each character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kellett
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
Nessie76 wrote:

Kev

I like your solution especially if you can reach high levels with each character.

I've no issue with permadeath, although if it gets to be a regular occurrence it could become disheartening.

I very much like your solution of dropping a couple of levels, I think that would work really well.

I'm coming to the end of a 60 hour working week so I'm a bit fried right nowbut I will have aa proper look at this over the weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
msg tools
mb
I also agree with your solution Kev

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for keeping the depth!
i have enough light games.

also +1 for preview of the kickstarter (perhaps we find smth you can improve before going live)

the artwork is not the best, i have to be honest. the barrier cards in the videos are looking like a 80th video game.
look at gloom of kilforth, its also an indie one man project but the art is stunning.

i would also like the game to be epic :) i thought this is a rpg with a long campaign. but the box in the video looks super small.
how many cards are in there?

i will back this one! is it still the 15.11 for the KS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Young
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Sebastian thanks for your comments and interest in our game.

Artwork, sure I understand. With some of the cards we are partly trying to make an homage to a 80s-90s TV game show called Knightmare which we as kids absolutely loved. Though to be fair this may be just a British thing that will perplex some of you. Unless of course you've ever made it to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival where you can see Knightmare Live!

Anyway Nostalgia overload there - sorry!

Don't worry they will be improved. I will check out the artist behind Kilforth.

The game will be epic in nature - should you wish it to be so.

We are a start up making our first game and want to make this product small, portable and affordable. This way we hope we can deliver something relatively quickly and let you start playing the game as soon as possible.

We have big plans which will be revealed in the Kickstarter. The game is modular in nature and depending on support you can buy as much or as little as you wish beyond the starting Caves set. Rest assured though that if you wish to carry on with your campaign it will be Epic. To give you an idea the Experience levels alone for the first few Ranks are:

Novice 8, Apprentice 12, Journeyman 16. That's a lot of leveling up to do just to get your Hero to a place where we believe they could survive in the wider reaches of our world.

Kickstarter date - I will cover this on a separate thread.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.