Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Wizkids is putting out a pocket version of Star Wars, in case you didn't know.

Their rules are simple in design (and available for download). Only 2 pages of rules. And yet, I feel that they have captured both a better feel for the Star Wars universe AND a deeper game.

My experience with Hasbro's game has been one of mild fun. It's neat to see the ships and move them. Every game has come down to almost complete attrition. 1 ship survives and gets lucky to beat the other.

Now the Wizkid's version is designed quite differently and I for one quite like it.

There are two parts to the game. First there is the map and then there are the cards. Some people might not like the cards because they add that card game feel. What I like about them is that most of them seem to represent maneuvers that get pulled at the last minute. Modifiers to the combat, not unlike the Command point system in the Hasbro game.

But it's the 'map' that I really love. It's simple yet functional. The concept is that there are three grids to the map. Your zone (that you control), your opponent's zone (that he controls) and a contested zone between that. Ships can only fight in the same zone.

On your turn, you can move or attack. When you move you move X number of ships (it's X points worth of ships) 1 zone. If you are attack you get to counterattack.

Now here's where it gets interesting. Within each player zone are 3 Objectives. An Objective gives that side a bonus but it's also targetable by the other side. If they can destroy your 3 Objectives, they win the game. As a nice bonus to avoid a completely one sided game, as your Objectives are destroyed you can actually bring in reinforcements (from what has been destroyed on your side already).

So this is where the depth comes in from. You have to move through the contested zone with some ships. You then want to move some of those ships into your opponent's zone to threaten his/her objectives. But you'll want to leave some ships in the contested zone to threaten his ships as they try to move through and you'll want some ships in your own deployment zone to protect your own objectives.

I love it. I think this model is a great representation of the space battles that we know and love from the movies. Yeah, lasers go really far, but these ships are assigned to be the rear guard and therefore prefer to open up on other ships. And that groups of ships are the strike force, designed to get through the contested zone and into enemy territory.

Now Wizkids rules are still designed with their patiented 'can't activate all units at once'. This is something that I don't agree with, but meh. So easy to fix.

So I know that I'm definately going to try out a modified version of the Wizkid's rules with the very cool plastic figs of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
In any game with components like cards and minis with stats, the rules are nearly secondary to the interactions of the components.

While the rules have the nice zoned kind of 'map' like Dragon Dice, it will be impossible to jusdge until the pieces are available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules can be found on this page: https://secure.wizkidsgames.com/StarWars/

Direct link to the 3.2MB file: https://secure.wizkidsgames.com/StarWars/documents/sw_rulesh...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "zones" are what deflated my enthusiasm for this game. I was hoping for a real table top wargame in the vein of Rocketmen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls