Popular Tags: [View All]
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/pm-modis-address-to-the-n... - live blog

TL;DR lots of people do cash and fail to declare the transactions to avoid taxes. This ends up accruing in the Rs 500 and Rs1000 notes that have now been declared void as of midnight. This is in the wake of an amnesty period where you could make a large cash deposit into a bank but would be taxed on it. There are provisions for turning in the old notes but I'm guessing huge transactions are going to be followed with either an audit or a larger tax then that offered during the amnesty period. Random internet commentary seems to indicate a pretty large hit to the property market.

Any other governments ever do this? I guess there is something to be said by pushing digital in that it cuts down on parallel economies.

Now back to our regular election mud slinging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Re: India attempts to crack down on "NON-whitey" money
cool I'll gladly BUY those 'notes' at 5-cents-USD for Rs-500, and 10-cents-USD for Rs-1000! You 'got' a better 'proffer'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.