$20.00
$15.00
$5.00
Luke Campbell
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I was interested in "A Feast for Odin" as well as "Arkham Horror The Card Game". Both of these games are (virtually) unavailable at online or FLGS'. So on this site, these games are being hyped, yet people such as myself can't actually purchase. I want to buy these games, but I can't. These aren't isolated cases. They are losing money from me, and I'm guessing from others. Why is this happening?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People got A Feast for Odin a Essen, and Arkham Horror The Card Game at a FFG held event called Arkham Knights.

All you needed was a plane ticket and vacation days.

(I'm patiently waiting too)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I thought the 'official' release date for Arkham Horror was in January?

Just because they had a 'pre-release' event, doesn't mean you won't get it. So, how are they losing out on money? If you don't buy it because you want it before it's released, someone else will buy it when it is released.

Don't know about Odin.

I have noticed that now with Kickstarter, some companies are forgoing the distributor and using kickstarter as their 'storefront'. It reducing capital exposure for them. It maybe not get to as many people, but if it fits in their business plan, then more power to them. Kickstarter is a great way to get interest free capital without risking their own capital (as long as they don't produce more then they know they can sell)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
Kickstarter is a great way to get interest free capital without risking their own capital (as long as they don't produce more then they know they can sell)

It moves virtually all downside risk to the customer instead of the seller. The nature of the hobby means that can work, apparently for years at a time.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Odin was available retail but quickly sold out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I preordered Arkham Horror from Amazon...I believe it's releasing next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace hawkster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inis is another one I can get it from USA if I'm willing to pay over 100 USD in shipping (I think not)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spelen in Lille Spinli
Belgium
Lille
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patience is the key. All these games will be available within the next few weeks. Then you can order them everywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:

I have noticed that now with Kickstarter, some companies are forgoing the distributor and using kickstarter as their 'storefront'. It reducing capital exposure for them. It maybe not get to as many people, but if it fits in their business plan, then more power to them. Kickstarter is a great way to get interest free capital without risking their own capital (as long as they don't produce more then they know they can sell)

I've reread this post a couple of times since my first response and I think the parenthetical phrase at the end is as revealing as everything else Mike said. If you're a small self-publishing entity (either a person or an LLC if you're looking to protect yourself) there is a solid incentive to avoid downside risk. Presumably you don't have a dozen products out where you can absorb the losses from one in the revenue from others. In short, the safe position is to under-produce.

Now, that affects upside risk big time -- the loss of sales due to an insufficient number of copies. But that risk has less impact on a self-published product via a Kickstarter release, and in some ways actually adds perceived value to the product prior to accepting revenue and issuing orders for number of copies. Purchasers that fear unavailability have an increased incentive to provide the publisher with pre-sale revenue, pressing the safety line higher.

Problem with upside risk? Kickstart a reprint and cycle again. From the publisher's perspective this is a virtuous cycle, at least financially. (It does require a second project to produce more copies, time and effort, potential print errors, etc., which has drawbacks.) Customers take on the risk again, but if you're in a second printing it's likely the game is good and their risk is minimal as well. Both stakeholders are in good shape on subsequent printings.

If customers are willing to lay out the cash, it doesn't make a lot of sense to not run a P500, especially with KS's model of having cash in hand prior to executing the Print command.

TL/DR -- publishers have two forms of strong positive feedback for the game to be scarce prior to retail release. They have two forms of weak negative feedback for the same.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure exactly how the distribution of game products works, but typically there is a fixed number of copies in a print run.

Since most game publishers don't have their own printing and manufacturing facilities, they have to negotiate a contract with a game manufacturer for a fixed number of items to be printed and manufactured. They can't just print-on-demand to whatever number of orders that come in. I don't know how much of a lead time is required to complete a print run, but it would have to be way in advance of the game's official release date to account for the processing and shipping from the manufacturer to the distributor and then to the retailers.

So game companies would have to guess the popularity of a game to decide how much to print. They certainly don't want an overstock sitting in inventory but as in the case with popular games, the demand becomes greater than what they have available. Based on that fixed number, companies and distributors allocate a certain number for each retailer.

For example, a FLGS might be limited to a max of only 50 copies available for pre-orders. I would much rather a retailer know what the max number they would receive and stop taking pre-orders than to try overselling and not have enough merchandise to delivery.

But no worries. A popular game from a big game company is not going to go OOP. There will be more print runs, and sometimes subsequent print runs are even more desirable if they make corrections and print errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwill2 wrote:

It releases tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"Arrange whatever pieces come your way." Virginia Woolf
mbmbmbmbmb
JRietveld wrote:
Kwill2 wrote:

It releases tomorrow.
Amazon says Nov 15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorath wrote:
Odin was available retail but quickly sold out.

Yup, I was on vacation and saw a copy at a little LGS in my travels. Some titles disappear because the demand can't be met and it takes a while for them to get another print run to the shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
JRietveld wrote:
Kwill2 wrote:

It releases tomorrow.
Amazon says Nov 15.

Coolstuff says 10th.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
JRietveld wrote:
Kwill2 wrote:

It releases tomorrow.
Amazon says Nov 15.
Jeff says tomorrow. Maybe FLGS' get them early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wionzek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acehawkster1973 wrote:
Inis is another one I can get it from USA if I'm willing to pay over 100 USD in shipping (I think not)

There's a reason I picked it up at FFG HQ when I saw it last week, just to bring back home to Canada.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
I thought this was going to be about the mess with Pandemic Iberia being a limited print run and now seems to be getting pushed back on a fortnightly basis for release :S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
j_holmes wrote:
I thought this was going to be about the mess with Pandemic Iberia being a limited print run and now seems to be getting pushed back on a fortnightly basis for release :S

Same here. I'm looking forward to Pandemic Iberia. I'm not in a hurry to pick it up, but learning it is a limited run has me worried about the short supply. On one hand, I don't want to overpay to insure I get a copy, on the other, I don't want to wait for a deal that will never come. Problem is I don't know what is meant by "limited."

I'm striving to pull back from the cult of the new. Partly to learn if a game really is worth picking up; I've been burned by picking games too quick, only to learn they're not my style. Partly to let the price settle down so I can pick up the game for a reasonable price. In this case, however, I really enjoy Pandemic and would not like to miss out on this version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.