Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there have been a couple of threads regarding this, but I thought I'd bring this up again since they're now both in full production.

Who's backed both or backed one over the other and why? I've backed both of these games, and so far they both look awesome, but I don't know if I can justify having both games. One big reason why Massive Darkness might be better for me is that I have a lot of the Black Plague stuff so I'd get all of the crossover figures.

What's everyone else's opinion? Right now I'm leaning towards unloading my pledge of Sword & Sorcery even though it looks like a good game and maybe also more in depth than Massive Darkness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Staples
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed both but Dungeon Crawlers are one of my favorite types of games. I think Sword & Sorcery will be a better DC than Massive Darkness. But Massive Darkness will be quicker to play and has the ZBP crossover. They'll appeal to different groups and different situations.

If I HAD to keep only one I'd probably go Sword & Sorcery as I think (have to play them of course) it will be a deeper game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
One is a campaign game the other is a session game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently backing both, but I will sell MD immediately. Reason: group taste. I backed MD, then bought Z:BP and brought it on the table. Our group had fun, but it was too simple and light weight for all of our taste. So with MD it will be the same.

S&S is THE dungeon crawler I always waited for after reading beta rulebooks, sample szenario books and playing the demo on tabletopia.

Conclusion: It all comes down to personal/group taste!

So as very simplified breakdown:
Do you want fast beer and pretzels fun (MD) or difficult fantasy combat puzzles (S&S) or both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Different games for different crowds.

Massive Darkness is for quick sessions, beer&pretzels and to get to the table when you want to get someone into the hobby with great minis and ease of play.

S&S is for ex dnd/rpg gamers and more hardcore gamers that you'll play on a regular basis.

I bought both
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks...I think for my group then, Massive Darkness is it. I don't get together with them enough for a campaign style game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:
Thanks...I think for my group then, Massive Darkness is it. I don't get together with them enough for a campaign style game.

You really shouldn't depend your decision on campaign support.

S&S can also be played stand alone scenario based. The quests have a recommended soul point value, which can be used to make advanced character builds before playing them.

I recommend watching this video. If the game seems too complicated or fiddly for you, stay with your decision to choose Massive Darkness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ricky, let me check out the video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley White
msg tools
I backed both at first, but scaled my MD pledge back because to me it lacked any real depth and in the video it just seemed to be lacking (to me) in game play value. There were some cool things the minis are fantastic, the idea of enemies using the loot they are carrying is I think pretty new and I liked that too, but overall I felt it was a pretty shallow game and just a cash grab by CMoN.

I am really looking forward to Sword and Sorcery though and went all in on it from Day 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The S&S gameplay video looked pretty interesting. It seemed pretty straightforward and not really fiddly. Maybe I'll just have to try out both. I wonder if I should've added on the Immortal bundle....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Adventurers,

I will not talk about gameplay, this may be better or worse based on personal tastes, but what makes really the difference toward Sword & Sorcery is the Book of Secrets, with this new structure, S&S will guide you inside the story, it not just an intro and a few ending lines, you will feel the experience and the atmosphere of a game-book during all quests of the entire Campaign. This feature is not present on any other adventure game yet, I hope you will like it as much as I do! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I made my final decision. Anyone out there want my S&S Kickstarter pledge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
west yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:
I think I made my final decision. Anyone out there want my S&S Kickstarter pledge?
Shame,you picked wrong in my opinion but I respect your choice
but what I will say is..if you already have black plague..your getting more or less the same game with more of a fantasy angle than zombies.so you could end up with two games very similar..but I hope you enjoy whatever you get
I wanted to back 2 of 3 Kickstarters..they were S&S, Darklight:memento mori..and massive Darkness...I researched them all read all three rulebooks.and decided on the first two.as Massive darkness played too much like Z:BP and I already have that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Smith
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Ya I'll take your S&S kickstarter pledge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.