9 Posts

XCOM: The Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: New Fan Designed Tech Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Thomas
msg tools
mbmb
As we approach the release of XCOM: Evolution I have been thinking about some new cool tech cards that might be fun to add to the game. I love how much interaction there is between each role and I tried to go for that with these. I am not a video game fan and have never played the video game so they may not match up with the video game. Let me know what you think below in the comments or if you would tweak anything?

Central Officer

System Hack:
Research Cost: 1
Phase: Timed
Ability: Place 1 sattelite here. The chief scientist may look at the top 6 cards of the research deck and put them back in any order. Limit once per round.
Alien Algorithms
Research Cost:2
Ability: Exhaust This: Look at the top card of the enemy or crisis deck and either put it back or discard it.

Chief Scientist

Base Repair
Research Cost: 2
Ability: Place 3 scientists here. Repair 1 damage on the base (move it back 1 space). Limit once per round.
Prep Room
Phase: Resolution
Ability: Exhaust this: Discard any number of research cards from your hand.

Squad Leader

RTS Auto-Turret
Ability: Exhaust this: Add one success token to an enemy in the base.
Radio For Backup
Ability: Exhaust this: Move any number of support soldiers on board back to the reserve and replace them with another non-support soldier in the reserve.
Sky Rockets
Ability: Place 1 heavy from the reserve here to destroy 1 UFO in the continent where the XCOM HQ is located.
Security Patrol
Ability: Place 1 assault from the reserve here to prevent a scientist from being deactivated.
Cloaking Armor
Ability: Whenever an enemy is assigned only snipers you do not have to raise the threat level each time you roll.

Commander
Self Destruct Sequence
Ability: Exhaust this: Destroy 1 interceptor on the board to destroy 2 UFOs in that continent.
Tracking Beacons
Research Cost: 4
Ability: Exhaust this: Move 2 interceptors in 1 continent to another continent with UFOs in it. (They may perform a task in the new continent even if they already did in the one they were in before)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If only it was so easy... your ideas are awesome but it takes a lot of testing to find out whether this stuff totally offsets the balance we have now or not.

What I did notice is that in Evolution some features I had been testing for my mod are in. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw MORE expansions for the game after Evolution is out... but it will take a year.

I just wish the DEVs were more present on these boards. It's a huge community, we have huge ideas and it's a pity we can't really touch anything because the app can't be altered to rebalance things.

I find it amazing you had these ideas and called the techs with those perfect names without having ever seen the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justinas K.
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the only one i don't really like is self destruct one it goes against the theme of this game imo, the pure lack of personnel and resources XCOM has doesn't let me imagine them using such tactics..

ah and security patrol is questionable because at least the way i (mainly playing scientist myself) see why they (scientists) get flipped is that they just failed to complete research in time as a result of complexity of alien technologies and they have to spend some time figuring out what they did wrong, so patrol wouldn't help them in such case.

Prep Room is pretty much overpowered version of scientist starting card since the most important thing to do for scientist is to cycle through your deck as ASAP for certain cards that are most important for the team as there are few very powerful upgrades while majority are either average/situational/weak as a comparison. this combined with starting ability which lets change up to 2 cards in hand lets you go through huge amount of cards each round to find what you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is certainly far more flushed out than a thread I remember reading a year or so ago. I think some of the cards step over their roles ability card, and you don't want a tech replacing what you start with, you want to add it too what you start with. Prep Room is just too good. Repairing Damage to the base sounds nice, but it lets your Squad leader play to passively against the tougher aliens. Take one damage from a 3 defense guy and then repair it, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The truth is that it takes a lot of work on the mechanics, with the aggravating factor you can't touch the app, to make a change that doesn't completely overrun the game as it is.

In reality, since this is a conversion from a video game, what's not in the videogame can't be allocated. I am a strong pc/steam player for Xcom (not Xcom2 though) and I can tell you the conversion is near perfect with remarkable changes that improve weak game concepts (under many aspects the boardgame surpasses the pc-game).

Adding more cards seems premature also for another reason: the expansion has its own cards we haven't seen yet.

The second expansion ain't been released yet and I'd love to enter those guys' minds. I actually can SEE a way minigames can be built very easily.

This is the perfect game to mod with only 1 aggravating factor: we can't touch the app, only the DEVs can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Thomas
msg tools
mbmb
Yeah I need to play test these ideas for sure. I am just really wanting some more variety to add to the game. I am sure the expansion will scratch the itch. I will try and rethink the prep room and patrolling tech. Thanks for the responses!

Another thing I would really like is some sort of upgraded interceptor (beyond just the firestorm upgrade card). I don't know if there is such a thing in the game but I think it would be cool to be able to build a super interceptor (costs like 2 salvage and a normal interceptor to build). The super interceptor would roll 2 dice or have some advantage over the regular interceptors. It would be something similar to elite soldiers. It would obviously require an extra model painted differently or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Of course, the interceptors ALSO should become elite, not to mention they should produce salvage too.
At any rate, after many researches and lots of using retrieved alien alloys and elerium (plus the power sources and nav system) in the PC game you can actually build the Firestorm... and it's of course 3 times better than a Raven. That's how it works.

There are so many things we could improve I can't tell... we are guaranteed to have extra variety with the new tech cards so I suggest you to wait. Meanwhile... there is a thread here with fan based cards (they're actually also drawn and shown) I suggest you to take a look at (it's the biggest thread in the variations forum).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something to consider when looking at things to add is that the video game has 3 tiers for a lot of things (ballistic/starting, laser/midgame, plasma/endgame) and has plot-based missions to break the story into stages too. Meanwhile, the board-game is two-tier - initial v upgraded - and only has two plot stages - regular missions and endgame final mission.

A lot of potential upgrades to the game people discuss involve adding an intermediate stage to some aspect of the game - which is harder to fit into a 1-hour boardgame than it is into a 50-hour videogame...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The whole part of the story is missing because you're not required to capture live aliens and then interrogate them (which triggers the tech you still must research).

The game has an increasingly harder difficulty progression which must be matched to the technologies (fighting the sectoids with standard guns is something but fighting mutons without laser rifles is a suicide). That's basically a progression we don't have since aliens are randomized.

The same goes for interceptors. We have air battles not interception missions. The ufo is one type only and the ravens themselves have no upgrades.

Even though all our technologies are useful, with the adding of extra techs and extra enemies to the starting situation of now, the variety adds a limited chance NOT to take the technologies you really need because it's harder to find them in the "new technologies available" phase.

This is not as critical as in the pc game (any tech is a good tech in the board game) in most cases.

Again, even if we added the extra tier to follow the plot, that would require to also build the progression in the difficulty and that's in the app and can't be retouched.

It's impossible to simply change things by cards but there are other ways with slight changes in mechanics.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1645857/main-variant-hold-u...

:-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.