Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Penn
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Our group played through Pandemic Legacy with five players - we had our normal group of four, but whenever one player couldn't make a session, we had a dedicated "filler" player who would rotate in and out. It was with this dedicated group of fivew that we started playing Seafall.

Before playing the prologue, I put the How to Play video on our TV and we all watched. When we sat down, the gameplay went quickly and we finished the prologue in two and a half turns. All players (expect for one) named one island each and the game was quickly over. It was a nice intro to the mechanics, but since it was a short game there really wasn't time for any kind of real strategy to develop. It actually felt kind of rushed.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
We were all disappointed to "kill" our leaders at the end of the prolouge. As a full five players, that meant that our second pick was going to be chosen from the five (subjectively) worst leaders. Even though it is just artwork, it is our characters in-game, and we wanted to choose someone that "felt" right. This was a major black mark against the game right away.

At the start of the fist real game, we were looking forward to a longer game, and one that actually had some kind of strategy develop. One of our players decided to be the "nice" guy and started buying goods from uncovered locales, sailing home and using the goods to buy 1-honor treasures. Another player chose to be the raiding master and started pillaging every island he could find; his goal was to use the goods to build structures. My strategy was to explore as much as I could and uncover new goods that way. The last two players, because of their position at the table, had limited options, and they did their best but never really got much of anywhere.

After four turns, our intrepid treasure hunter
had managed to buy his third treasure, netting him the first achievement of the game ("The Finest Treasures") and putting him in a tenuous lead.

My strategy of exploration had netted me enough hard goods to buy two structures - but at the cost of spending both of my luck tokens. On the fifth turn, I made a gamble and
attempted an exploration of the highest numbered site on a remote island and managed to complete the endeavor, taking only one damage in the process, and gaining me the second milestone of the game ("An Island Explored") and putting me solidly in the lead. Plus that final exploration granted me enough goods to buy my third and final structure, which would award me the third milestone and win the game.

I just had to make it home to port and manage to keep at least two gold in my treasury.

Alas, on the sixth turn, one of the last two players sabotaged my efforts and purchased the last 10-gold structure on the sideboard. That left only 18-gold structures available. Even with the hard-good discount, I was going to need 10+ gold to buy that last building. I positioned myself for the goods refresh in Winter. My plan was to use the first turn to buy some goods (ANYTHING!) and then tax my populace until I could buy that expensive structure. But I had forgotten that our fields produced in Winter! Suddenly I was awash in gold, and I could win on my next turn! But the astrolabe passed to the player on my left, putting me last in the play order, and giving everyone else one more guaranteed turn.

After some conversation (and smack-talk) at the table,
our raiding player decided that his job was to destroy one of my cheap and easy-to-pillage structures. He brought his entire fleet (of two ships) and after accounting for my Gun Tower, rolled four dice. He was surely going to sink his flagship, but he was determined to stop me from winning. Three successes would give him enough. Fortunately for me (but unfortunately for him) he rolled three blanks and one dot. He only had one luck token left, so rather than waste it on raiding a field (which wouldn't have stopped me) he took his lumps and left me unharmed.

On my seventh turn I bought my third structure and won the game. Final score was 12-7-6-6-5, a runaway victory. No one achieved the "unlock" milestone, but all three of the others were claimed
and destroyed, as per the directions
and we added two new event cards to the event deck.

I'm not sure where the game will go from here. Our next game seems to be a bit rudderless <sic> in that
there are far fewer milestones left on the table. With only the unlock and the treasure goals,
getting to 12 Honor may take a very VERY long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Game 1 (after Prologue) [spoilers tagged]
TheRealStupid wrote:
...getting to 12 Honor may take a very VERY long time.

Consider, however, how much left there is to raid and explore after just Game 1. Not just steady glory gains, but jockeying for Advisors and getting lots of Captain's Booke entries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DJ Johnson
United States
California
flag msg tools
I was really pretty happy seeing how well the
treasure game
worked out for one of my rivals, Sam El Jacksióne. While he didn't win, he probably generated the most laughs, made no enemies, and carried out a good plan without being able to know how it'd pan out. Even the game's story insisted he threw kick ass parties, which fit his theme to the hilt.

My other neighbor Viola Somerset navigated her decisions and subsequent strategy the same way I would have. I feel our big variable right now aside from the dice are the advisors. I'm not sure if they lined up with Viola's strategy enough, but Viola did make things tough all over with some aggressive raiding to run the economy. The attitude at the table felt rather 'All is fair in love in war' so I had to give the player props by throwing in with two of us to stop our rival from claiming a second milestone. Our last hope was a long shot, but I'd certainly team up with him again.

I'm right in between the two aforementioned nations, and I felt pretty safe. Viola is taking pretty good advantage of the natives, and I was hoping to explore further out. The captain's book is another big wild card, as one player managed a big gold find. I think it was our winner, and perhaps that helped him pull ahead of Viola in completing the three structures. I think it's cool that the risk and exploration angle paid off, especially since I didn't believe the Prince of Transylvania (the original poster) had his eyes on that objective.

My own plan was more focused on finding the low hanging fruit, snapping that up, and try to set me up to hit the 6 raid or 6 explore. While I did find some low hanging fruit (beating up my peasants for 3 gold devil my biggest success was handed to me. My starting reward was
bonus rep
, and I used it to get two renowned advisors. Easy points for me, and now my rivals can't hire them. Our new Prince did manage to use the madman very successfully, which I applaud since I was apprehensive about wasting the Renowned Explorer.

BonBon (he's actually got an awesome french name I can't pronounce right, but Bon Bon works) actually made the renowned merchant work, which was awesome and was key to forestalling the Prince's win. I imagine the buying and selling game will pay off more later once we get more explored, but it's cool he made the merchant game work for him.

I believe I had 9 points, but I could be mistaken. However that meant we wouldn't be seeing another round (Renowned Advisor + a cheap treasure if there was one left). The game was long due to unfamiliarity, but I'd like to see more winters, with longer planning for jaunts at sea. Hopefully the turns will be faster than with us pursuing long term plans several turns in a row instead of grabbing up the easy points near to home.

Good game guys.

In regards to the story, it's such a big mystery. Even if the leaders are dead, I'm guessing their fate is going to be a big part of the narrative. We may have destroyed their cards, but I'm not too quick to write them off as dead.

TLDR Awesome options for strategy, more leader cards would have been cool
but it's an awesome twist they did with a lot of potential down the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucus Trout
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, great session write up! I really enjoyed it. I have a couple questions regarding it that might sound critical but I don't mean it to be. This game's rules aren't the most clear and our group did a couple things different from yours so I want to help either your group or mine get it right next time. :-)
TheRealStupid wrote:
Our group played through Pandemic Legacy with five players - we had our normal group of four, but whenever one player couldn't make a session, we had a dedicated "filler" player who would rotate in and out. It was with this dedicated group of fivew that we started playing Seafall.

Before playing the prologue, I put the How to Play video on our TV and we all watched. When we sat down, the gameplay went quickly and we finished the prologue in two and a half turns. All players (expect for one) named one island each and the game was quickly over. It was a nice intro to the mechanics, but since it was a short game there really wasn't time for any kind of real strategy to develop. It actually felt kind of rushed.

We were all disappointed to "kill" our leaders at the end of the prolouge. As a full five players, that meant that our second pick was going to be chosen from the five (subjectively) worst leaders. Even though it is just artwork, it is our characters in-game, and we wanted to choose someone that "felt" right. This was a major black mark against the game right away.

At the start of the fist real game, we were looking forward to a longer game, and one that actually had some kind of strategy develop. One of our players decided to be the "nice" guy and started buying goods from uncovered locales, sailing home and using the goods to buy 1-honor treasures. Another player chose to be the raiding master and started pillaging every island he could find; his goal was to use the goods to build structures. My strategy was to explore as much as I could and uncover new goods that way. The last two players, because of their position at the table, had limited options, and they did their best but never really got much of anywhere.

After four turns, our intrepid treasure hunter
had managed to buy his third treasure, netting him the first achievement of the game ("The Finest Treasures") and putting him in a tenuous lead.

My strategy of exploration had netted me enough hard goods to buy two structures - but at the cost of spending both of my luck tokens. On the fifth turn, I made a gamble and
attempted an exploration of the highest numbered site on a remote island and managed to complete the endeavor, taking only one damage in the process, and gaining me the second milestone of the game ("An Island Explored") and putting me solidly in the lead. Plus that final exploration granted me enough goods to buy my third and final structure, which would award me the third milestone and win the game.

I just had to make it home to port and manage to keep at least two gold in my treasury.

Alas, on the sixth turn, one of the last two players sabotaged my efforts and purchased the last 10-gold structure on the sideboard. That left only 18-gold structures available. Even with the hard-good discount, I was going to need 10+ gold to buy that last building. I positioned myself for the goods refresh in Winter. My plan was to use the first turn to buy some goods (ANYTHING!) and then tax my populace until I could buy that expensive structure. But I had forgotten that our fields produced in Winter! Suddenly I was awash in gold, and I could win on my next turn! But the astrolabe passed to the player on my left, putting me last in the play order, and giving everyone else one more guaranteed turn.

After some conversation (and smack-talk) at the table,
our raiding player decided that his job was to destroy one of my cheap and easy-to-pillage structures. He brought his entire fleet (of two ships) and after accounting for my Gun Tower, rolled four dice. He was surely going to sink his flagship, but he was determined to stop me from winning. Three successes would give him enough. Fortunately for me (but unfortunately for him) he rolled three blanks and one dot. He only had one luck token left, so rather than waste it on raiding a field (which wouldn't have stopped me) he took his lumps and left me unharmed.

On my seventh turn I bought my third structure and won the game. Final score was 12-8-8-6-5, a runaway victory. No one achieved the "unlock" milestone, but all three of the others were claimed

I'm not sure where the game will go from here. Our next game seems to be a bit rudderless <sic> in that
there are far fewer milestones left on the table. With only the unlock and the treasure goals,
getting to 12 Honor may take a very VERY long time.

We finished our first game last night with only 3 players but it went somewhat similarly. Our winner achieved the same two milestones you did while the other two of us were both treasure hunting and exploring. He was probably 2 turns ahead of us.

Interestingly, his first attempt at "An Island Explored" would've sunk his ship, but he had the advisor that allowed him to reroll all of his dice. That reroll came up all successes (on 6 dice) so he didn't even take any damage.

Also I believe you potentially got two rules incorrect. It doesn't sound like they influenced the game form what you described but its probably good to know.
You mentioned that someone only had 1 'luck' (fortune) token to use during a raid and seemed to imply that they chose not to. Unless they have some benefit I haven't yet seen that would be against the rules. (Perhaps they had an advisor that didn't come up in our games, but you didn't mention any special ability that would've allowed him to use the token so it sounded like you might think that you can use those tokens during raids.)

The second part is a bit spoilery and maybe I have it wrong but I certainly re-read this Captain's Booke several times because my impulse was that it worked the way you seem to have played it but that doesn't seem to be the case. In your session you said the following.

On my seventh turn I bought my third structure and won the game. Final score was 12-8-8-6-5, a runaway victory. No one achieved the "unlock" milestone, but all three of the others were claimed

That seems to imply
you destroyed all three milestones. While some of them do instruct you to do this, the "An Island Explored" milestone doesn't. So we are going to have that milestone available next game.
. If anyone has a source that could let me know if OP is interpreting this correctly or if I am, it would be appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lucusvonlucus wrote:

Also I believe you potentially got two rules incorrect. It doesn't sound like they influenced the game form what you described but its probably good to know.
You mentioned that someone only had 1 'luck' (fortune) token to use during a raid and seemed to imply that they chose not to. Unless they have some benefit I haven't yet seen that would be against the rules. (Perhaps they had an advisor that didn't come up in our games, but you didn't mention any special ability that would've allowed him to use the token so it sounded like you might think that you can use those tokens during raids.)

Fortune tokens are absolutely usable during raids (unless the site is dangerous/has a red shield).

EDIT: Though the instance you're talking about is a province raid, and provinces are all dangerous. So normally, fortune tokens would not be allowed.

lucusvonlucus wrote:

That seems to imply
you destroyed all three milestones. While some of them do instruct you to do this, the "An Island Explored" milestone doesn't. So we are going to have that milestone available next game.
. If anyone has a source that could let me know if OP is interpreting this correctly or if I am, it would be appreciated!

Developer has clarified that all milestones are to be logged and destroyed:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucus Trout
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was super helpful, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

In the starting components of the game (and openly available information by the designers) there is both an advisor (The Advanced Scout) and a ship upgrade (Cunning) that allow (some) fortune to be used at dangerous sites. You would need a power like this in effect to use fortune during a province raid (which counts as a dangerous site).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
verrey matthieu
msg tools
mb

does nobody read the "welcome to seafall " sheet...really ....????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Usul68 wrote:

Good point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Usul68 wrote:

I noticed you just posted about this in another thread...

Have you actually played this game yet, or did you accidentally spoil something for yourself?

The final Prologue milestone leads to a Captain's Booke entry which instructs the players to destroy their leader cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
verrey matthieu
msg tools
mb
i actually played prologue and session 1 and 2...no spoiling for my self , just asking , i dont ask this if i dont have play ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Penn
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Usul68 wrote:

Nope. In fact, we just finished our fourth game session (including the prologue) and I don't think we've ever done more than glance at that sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DJ Johnson
United States
California
flag msg tools
I had read it online earlier, and while it certainly does tell you cards will be torn up, I didn't think anyone thought it would be their province leader. For me it seemed almost as great of a twist as the first game of Pandemic Legacy, a game none of us were slouches at
when we ripped up the standard objective when we thought we had the game in the bag.
I'm no master of Pandemic, but with a dozen games under my belt I didn't feel too worried about it. At that moment the game suddenly made me take it very seriously. While it may seem paradoxical, I also thought it was hilarious how well they pulled the rug out from underneath us.

This seemed more like a move to further a story later on for each of us.
How did they die? What happened? Darth Vader is my father?
While it wasn't the great twist Pandemic Legacy had, I have some hopes it'll be for a good reason later on. Otherwise, why bother? Plus, the look on everyone else's face was still a little funny.
I just ended up naming my second ship for the original leader, and planned to blame all my future problems on my leader's daddy issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.