Popular Tags: [View All]
N Jones
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
You are who you choose to be.
mbmbmbmb
Just saw the Kickstarter for this and was 99% going to back this, but then I saw the Japanese review and an English preview.

Man, do those components look terrible. The board looks like a paper kid's menu, the cards look flimsy, and the player boards are tiny.

Super disappointed this game was not even brought up to modern standards of component quality.

Who knows, maybe a solid main board will be added to the stretch goals. But seriously, why is that even an issue in this day and age?

Edit: I'm really hoping Eagle-Gryphon proves me wrong here and those were just prototypes...

Edit 2: See below. Major component overhaul.

Edit 3: The video reviews were using the Japanese version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Jones
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To answer my own question... from the KS comments.

Gryphon and Eagle Games wrote:
We are improving almost every aspect of the base game right off the bat, including the board. The board is going to be 1200gsm grey board w/ a black texture layer and of course the top (artwork) sheet

FYI
Thickness (mm) = Grammage (gsm) * 1.55 / 1000 = about 1.8mm

KS adds as stretch goals fish meeples & thick player boards.

Totally backing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Nedry
Japan
Yamashina
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Isaribi and yes indeed the cards are very thin as is the board. Several of the Japanese produced games I own have cards similar to Isaribi but not all the game boards are as thin. Still, they are all playable, sleeves help, and I like the art and graphics design. Ryo Hayashi's art in Yokohama is wonderful but art isn't the issue.

I'm not certain about this but I think the reason for the thinner cards is cost. Compared to N. American or European publishers, they just don't have the financial capital to put into components. Game design and production in Japan is, for the most part, conducted by small businesses or independent designers.

Okazu Brand is probably the largest independent game publisher in Japan and yet they are a very small company. Isarabi came out in 2014, on a limited print run- which is the case for many/most Japanese games, and sold out. Trains came out in 2012 and in early 2016 they released Yokohama, both have been successful within Japan and overseas. They are growing but are currently a small company doing what they can to make games. Yokohama's components are quite well done for example. The cards are still a touch thin but they are an improvement over previous components.

Hopefully, the KS funds and you can enjoy the improved edition!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Jones
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
casey nedry wrote:
I own Isaribi and yes indeed the cards are very thin as is the board. Several of the Japanese produced games I own have cards similar to Isaribi but not all the game boards are as thin. Still, they are all playable, sleeves help, and I like the art and graphics design. Ryo Hayashi's art in Yokohama is wonderful but art isn't the issue.

I'm not certain about this but I think the reason for the thinner cards is cost. Compared to N. American or European publishers, they just don't have the financial capital to put into components. Game design and production in Japan is, for the most part, conducted by small businesses or independent designers.

Okazu Brand is probably the largest independent game publisher in Japan and yet they are a very small company. Isarabi came out in 2014, on a limited print run- which is the case for many/most Japanese games, and sold out. Trains came out in 2012 and in early 2016 they released Yokohama, both have been successful within Japan and overseas. They are growing but are currently a small company doing what they can to make games. Yokohama's components are quite well done for example. The cards are still a touch thin but they are an improvement over previous components.

Hopefully, the KS funds and you can enjoy the improved edition!

Thank you for the education on Japan's board game market! Hisashi Hayashi is one of my favorite designers. His games really deserve a good treatment (much like Yokohama). I, too, hope this funds with all stretch goals so this game will get all the love it deserves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
The original Isaribi was printed by one guy. OKAZU Brand is Hisashi Hayashi and his wife.

That's one guy with his game. He didn't even know if it would sell. He stored the games in his living room. He printed maybe 500 copies, hoping they might sell. When Isaribi was done, it wasn't even a company. He may have registered a company since a few years back, but that's not the point: it's still just him and his wife.

Shortly, there simply is no comparing the component quality in terms of card stock and board thickness, to the Eagle version. The Eagle version is a highly professional version by a real publisher with funds. The original was a temptative printing paid for by the designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.