$35.00
sam r
United States
California
flag msg tools
So I took the available GLORY TO ROME card pictures and made a version that I'm going to just print out on normal 8.5x11 paper, I made it in such a way that they will print with the PERFECT standard poker size! The little player boards will come out just as big as they are in the game too!

What's more awesome is I made it so that anyone with a printer that can print dual-sided prints can just load the files, hit print, and it will automatically print all cards and game boards dual-sided.

The problem is that I don't own the game, I simply watched a few youtube videos to determine what the other side of each card should look like.

This is where I need help.

Can someone with the official game contact me please and I'll send you the version I made so you can confirm that the other sides of all cards are correct?

Also, would anyone let me know the legality of me releasing these files to the general public? Would i get in trouble? I figure they are already available, all I did was re-arrange them so they automatically print on a regular printer with regular 8.5x11 inch paper, so I figure not illegal but I have no idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Kenny Dorham || Trompeta Toccata || Whistle Stop || Una Mas
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blackjackel wrote:
So I took the available GLORY TO ROME card pictures and made a version that I'm going to just print out on normal 8.5x11 paper, I made it in such a way that they will print with the PERFECT standard poker size! The little player boards will come out just as big as they are in the game too!

What's more awesome is I made it so that anyone with a printer that can print dual-sided prints can just load the files, hit print, and it will automatically print all cards and game boards dual-sided.

The problem is that I don't own the game, I simply watched a few youtube videos to determine what the other side of each card should look like.

This is where I need help.

Can someone with the official game contact me please and I'll send you the version I made so you can confirm that the other sides of all cards are correct?

Also, would anyone let me know the legality of me releasing these files to the general public? Would i get in trouble? I figure they are already available, all I did was re-arrange them so they automatically print on a regular printer with regular 8.5x11 inch paper, so I figure not illegal but I have no idea.

Maybe you can kill two birds with one stone - send what you've done to the publisher's lawyers and ask them to verify the accuracy of your copy. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't release them. I have also PnP'ed my own copy of the game, which the company (such as it remains) won't pursue, but making it available for distribution is a bad idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
Penny of king Sigtrygg II Silkbeard of Dublin
mbmbmbmbmb
What you have described sounds like it is in breach of copyright, and therefore illegal. Publishing it makes the offence much worse, and draws attention to the fact you are doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam r
United States
California
flag msg tools
I won't release it, but didn't they themselves release the images officially? Why would they do that if it's going to be a copyright violation for someone else to reproduce them? If someone is selling their released images i understand the illegality, but i just re-arranged the images...

I wonder if i can release a program that takes their official images and re-arranges them to recreate the images than i have... that would circumvent the illegality of the whole thing

again, I'm not releasing em, just wondering why it's illegal if they released the images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Copyright is what it says on the tin - the 'right to control how and when a copy is made.'

The person or company owning the copyright determines how copies are made available. Even if they offer items as free downloads from their website that does not mean that another site can store them without permission.

The copyright can also state that no one is allowed to modify the downloaded items either, that they must be reproduced as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam r
United States
California
flag msg tools
ah good response, makes sense.

although i should point out that i did not modify any of their images, no alterations to any non-white pixels were made, only re-arrangement. Even if you count re-arranging the images modification, it would probably fall under fair use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blackjackel wrote:
it would probably fall under fair use.

No, think you'll find it doesn't. You're struggling to find a technicality, which probably means you are in a hole and should stop digging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just send the designer and/or publisher an e-mail asking them. If they actually don't have the intention to reprint, they might just give you an 'okay' to post the files here on BGG. I did that with some old Age of Steam maps that were impossible to find. Redrew'em in Inkscape based on pictures in their galleries and got permission from the designer to post them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam r
United States
California
flag msg tools
Cinnibar wrote:
blackjackel wrote:
it would probably fall under fair use.

No, think you'll find it doesn't. You're struggling to find a technicality, which probably means you are in a hole and should stop digging.

right, so they posted those images and they expect everyone to print them out EXACTLY as they posted them...and NEVER modify them.... of course that would mean they would have to be printed on paper the size of your living room table for the carts to be the right size.

Get real.

and I'm not "looking" for anything. I re-arranged the images for my own use, I already said I'm not releasing the files.

There's nothing illegal about me printing out the files that they provided officially for my own personal use, get over it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam r
United States
California
flag msg tools
Wormaap wrote:
Just send the designer and/or publisher an e-mail asking them. If they actually don't have the intention to reprint, they might just give you an 'okay' to post the files here on BGG. I did that with some old Age of Steam maps that were impossible to find. Redrew'em in Inkscape based on pictures in their galleries and got permission from the designer to post them

awesome, would be pretty cool. What's their email anyways? I'd love to get in contact with them too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wormaap wrote:

I wish anyone luck on their journey doing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.