Evolution» Forums » General

Subject: Which Kickstarter card would you choose? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
Hi,
If you have to pick only one trait (7 cards) from the Kickstarter which one would you choose? And would you just add it to the game or replace one base game trait (and which one)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the game a few dozen times and have still not felt the urge to add any of the kickstarter cards (which I do have). The game is perfect just the way it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I really don't like Mimicry because it breaks theme (no scientific basis) and mechanics (no other trait has an automatic discard). I will likely never use that card.

Trample is interesting, but I'm not sure I'll use it much either. It's a mean card. Haha! Carnivore is obviously aggressive to other players too, but carnivores gotta eat. Trample just seems spiteful! I would only put this card into games with experienced players as it would really be difficult for newer players to cope with.

I love Insectivore, but would only use it with Climate. With the base game I think it would be overpowered. In Climate, a cold climate would sht it down so it's not always an obvious card to have.

Claws is great because its so versatile. Carnivores and non0carnivores alike will find good use for this trait. Easy to fit it in to any game.

Timid is interesting, but probably better for more experienced players. Also, I think it is better balanced in Climate.

And Coprophagia is very interesting. So well balanced. Removes the fear of starvation, but doesn't get you victory points from food. Easily could fit in any game.

So, I would say that the card I'm most excited to integrate into the base game is Coprophagia. And for Climate, I'm also excited for Insectivore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm a bit surprised that Trample made its way through because it's similar to Pest and quite violent. Seems like it would work fine if it only removed 1 food from the pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on past experience, I too doubt we'll ever feel the urge to try any of the promos. If we were to, however, I'm fairly sure it would be Timid because my wife loves the artwork; she finds the little rodent adorable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
CenozoicMatt wrote:
Well, I really don't like Mimicry because it breaks theme (no scientific basis) and mechanics (no other trait has an automatic discard). I will likely never use that card.

Trample is interesting, but I'm not sure I'll use it much either. It's a mean card. Haha! Carnivore is obviously aggressive to other players too, but carnivores gotta eat. Trample just seems spiteful! I would only put this card into games with experienced players as it would really be difficult for newer players to cope with.

I love Insectivore, but would only use it with Climate. With the base game I think it would be overpowered. In Climate, a cold climate would sht it down so it's not always an obvious card to have.

Claws is great because its so versatile. Carnivores and non0carnivores alike will find good use for this trait. Easy to fit it in to any game.

Timid is interesting, but probably better for more experienced players. Also, I think it is better balanced in Climate.

And Coprophagia is very interesting. So well balanced. Removes the fear of starvation, but doesn't get you victory points from food. Easily could fit in any game.

So, I would say that the card I'm most excited to integrate into the base game is Coprophagia. And for Climate, I'm also excited for Insectivore.

Thanks for this analysis. This would mean that you just add Coprophagia to the base game, without removing any trait?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Voge III
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edugon wrote:
CenozoicMatt wrote:

Thanks for this analysis. This would mean that you just add Coprophagia to the base game, without removing any trait?

I have talked to the rules folks, and any time you add a promo card, you should remove another trait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edugon wrote:
CenozoicMatt wrote:

No. Not what I meant. As was said, take out another trait set before adding a trait is the way to go.

Though I suppose if you add Coprophagia AND an extra Carnivore card (from the Flight expansion) to the base game you wouldn't significantly alter any ratios. After all, this is basically what the Flight expansion did. Added some traits and one additional Carnivore card per new trait added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.