Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Just had our 5th playthrough and we have a question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Yerton
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
A battle is a battle right ? But it can either be strength or psychic. So unless a weapon says plus strength or craft it can be used for either. Aka can you use the flail in which ever type of battle it is ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle is only strength so you can't use the flail in Physic combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, no. Battle is strength combat only. Craft combat is called Psychic Combat. There are a few weapons in the game that can be used in Psychic Combat, but most can only be used in Battle.

Think of Psychic Combat as more mental than physical. The enemy is attacking your mind directly. An ordinary sword (or flail) isn't much good in that situation.

All that being said, Talisman has some of the most flexible rules of any game I know. I doubt that any fan of Talisman plays by the strict letter of the law vanilla rules. Everyone has their own favourite house rules. If allowing weapons in all combats makes for a better game experience for you, go for it!

Cheers!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shakespeare William
msg tools

That's it.

We play by saying if anything (card place character...) say battle it is strength , if it says psychic combat it is craft. There is no compromise.
I remember many discussion about that and it is the easiest way to solve problems we found.

You can have a look here for a clearer explanation:
http://www.talismanwiki.com/Battle

cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Yerton
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Okay awesome and ty for answers. So since the portal of power isn't a battle u simply use you strength minus any strength gained from battle cards or vice versa correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ginn
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Portal of Power is Strength or Craft, but not Strength or Craft derived from Weapons or from items/followers which say "in battle only" or "in psychic combat only". I think you have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.