Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Gingrich
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Here's a picture of the original edition of the Awful Green Things from the 1979 Dragon magazine.

I must have lost a gas grenade counter along the way because I made a replacement back in the depths of time.

I had a lot of fun playing this as a teenager and now that it's found and I have all the pieces I'm gonna play again soon.

Did the rules change much between this version and version 8? Is there an online pdf of the latest rules? Found them http://www.sjgames.com/awfulgreen/img/rules.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have/had the original magazine edition somewhere. I also picked up the TSR long box some years later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules have changed a little bit with the latest version. I think only one or two points changed. Not sure which anymore. Otherwise its the same game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Remember that later editions have the "Outside The Znutar" and some other later magazine goodies added, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Think only the early TSR versions didnt include the "Outside" rules?

Otherwise my 84 edition is overall the same as the 2014 version.

One change thats been discussed in older threads here was that some of the items moved location or number slightly early on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Johnson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This change seems pretty crucial, although I haven't played it both ways so I don't know. In the original Dragon edition, certain rooms have weapon symbols drawn in them (as they still are on the 8th Ed board) and this means that you can always grab that weapon from that room, if there's a token available. When a weapon is thrown, or the crew member carrying it is killed, the token goes out of play and can be grabbed again from any room with that symbol. Electric fences could be grabbed from anywhere.

I don't know when the change was, but by the 8th edition, this system is replaced by a finite number of weapons that begin in certain spots and can be moved around or dropped by the crew. This allows the Things player, for example, to get both the fire extinguishers into easily guarded corridors and stop the crew from getting them back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure the Green Things can not pick up items. And blockading access to areas has been in the game from the start. Also

Also in the Dragon version there was a limited number of weapon counters.

2 Stun Pistols
2 Comm Beamers
2 Gas Grenades
2 Extinguishers
2 Fences
2 Hypos
2 Torches
2 Pool Sticks
3 Rocket Fuel
3 Knives
3 Zugwartz
3 Acid

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Johnson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Pretty sure the Green Things can not pick up items.

No, but the crew can. In the 8th edition when a crewman dies, its weapon stays in the room. In the Dragon one, it just goes back out of play until someone grabs it from one of that weapon's starting locations. So in the 8th edition, the Things player can ambush the crewmen with the dangerous weapons in an isolated spot, then guard that spot to stop any other crew from getting and using those weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter X
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I've only played the 8th edition, but I like the rule that the weapon stays in the room when a crew member (not a crewman; they're not humans and we don't even know whether the crew have a gender as we would understand it!) dies.

It makes sense, and adds something to the game because the crew player must weigh up the risk of losing a good weapon through sending someone too far into danger with it, and the Green Things must look for opportunities to ambush the crew member then guard the area to prevent it being picked up again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.