10 Posts

BattleLore (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Reverse VP count rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Baker
msg tools
Hi,

I played about seven games with a friend, and each and every time both of us thought the gameplay was awesome, but the whole game fell flat in the end. It was easy to know who would win about half the game in, and there was no suspense at all. Every game ended with a big "meh".

While playing, we felt it would be a lot better if the VP phases were inverted: when it's your turn, instead of getting your VP, your enemy would get his VP. And when it's your enemy's turn, you would get your VP during the VP phase. That way it would become a lot more meaningful to push the enemy out of his objectives, and vice-versa.

Did anyone try that? Did anyone else experience the whole "falling flat" thing? It's so weird; everything else about the game is flawless. But I never played a game that didn't fall flat. Maybe I'm missing something in the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
34 plays, and never really had it "fall flat." It's not unusual for us to go into extra turns with a tie at 16 points or more.

Scoring VP at the end of your opponent's turn would make for awfully long games, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
love this game, never feltit fall flat either.

you looked at this variant? http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1639567/fight-elimination-va...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't kept track to really say for sure, but I've had all sorts of games. I've had close games that go into several rounds of overtime (such that I've run out of VP tokens from the core set), I've had games like the OP's where the winner was clear halfway through, and I've had games where the one lagging behind had a hope of coming out on top all the way until the last round.

I guess my suggestion is to keep giving it a try. And if you get in a situation where you know one team will win, there's no harm in scooping the game and starting a new one. However, make sure there really is absolutely no hope of a come-back before you clean up the game.

I promise that as your skill and knowledge increase, you will start to have closer games. You'll start to see just what your opponent needs to do to win and you'll have ideas on how to thwart him before he gets too far ahead.

Also, setup is a big deal. If you make poor choices in the units you muster and where you place your starting units, you could possibly lose the battle before it has begun. To me, that's not really an indication that the game is broken, but more a point that skill and knowledge really do help you get ahead. As an example, if your opponent has a scenario that lets them gain VP for having more units in a given section of the battlefield and you decide to muster a small army of Legend, Elite, and Calvary units, you've basically decided to give him an extra VP each round for the whole game. Make sure you're planning for both player's win conditions during muster and setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jman Z
msg tools
mbmbmb
The 3 absolute most important objectives for this game are:
1: Victory points.
2: Victory points.
3: Victory points.

Anyone who disregard 1, 2 or 3 are suspect to experience games that fall flat if they play against an opponent who has his priority's right(VP's, VP's, VP's).

It would not work for many games with reversing VP count unless you either muster more units, or lower the VP required because armies would be wiped out too fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too think this is an awesome game for many reasons, including; components, army muster and interchangeable scenario cards. However, I have found a couple of flaws.

1. I have all three armies and each army has strong and weak unit types. The weak ones should be avoided in favour of using muster points on the stronger unit types. However, sometimes a scenario card favours the weaker unit by increasing the VP count in some way from there use and that is the time to invest in them.

2. the VP system can favour one side greatly depending on the combination of scenario cards used. Experience will show this from the onset and so unless you are playing a novice and want the imbalance to even things up you might as well change the scenario there and then if a balanced game is required .

I haven't tried the suggested variant rules given above but I will at some stage. They look to be a good way of resolving point 2 above.

This is actually a good game and I sincerely hope at least one more army faction is marketed by FFG.

Happy gaming
Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Gamble
Australia
Hawthorndene
South Australia
flag msg tools
mb
David Groves wrote:

2. the VP system can favour one side greatly depending on the combination of scenario cards used. Experience will show this from the onset and so unless you are playing a novice and want the imbalance to even things up you might as well change the scenario there and then if a balanced game is required .

This is the only time I've seen games fall flat. What we like to do after a very one sided affair is to play the same two scenarios again but swap sides. Then add the total VP from both games. The games can get tense even if your getting flogged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrunn wrote:
David Groves wrote:

This is the only time I've seen games fall flat. What we like to do after a very one sided affair is to play the same two scenarios again but swap sides. Then add the total VP from both games. The games can get tense even if your getting flogged.

This is certainly one way to deal with the imbalance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also be interested to check the campaign variant suggested in the reference book. The count of medals is across four scenarios. You can just decide in advance four scenarios cards that match well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrunn wrote:
David Groves wrote:

This!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.